Hi.

So I've been playing this game for a while every now and then, I've beaten the OC on hard multiple times, and only did like 10% of WM 1. I have a fair bit of knowledge and experience, but I'm far from a pro at the game. I still want to finally defeat the Adra Dragon and not p**** out every time for free xp lol.

I want to do a full playthrough on PotD, however, and I'd be grateful for some general advice.

My specific questions:

- If I go to WM1/2 to get some early items that are needed, then go back to OC (original campaign/vanilla game) and only return after high levels before dealing with Thaos, will I get an option to upscale the content?

- Are there any user-friendly mods that re-enable achievements? Because I'd really want to roleplay as a good character (benevolent, honest), but I have this thing that I want my MC to be a hardcore dps every time, and getting that amazing +0.3crit damage is only possible through the Doemenel faction. And if I'd choose to be more of a tank or cc monkey, I'd be forced to hire mercs, but I want to play with the fixed companions.

- I usually go with 5 people, would I need 6 (probably not, but asking anyway) for PotD?

Onto the matter at hand.

As I mentioned, MC is preferably high-end dps. I'm thinking about Barb/Rogue/Cipher or maybe even Priest (mainly for RP reasons, I noticed there are a ton of dialogue options for the Magran faith). Must be physical (as in utilizing weapon) dps, as I prefer using a really nice weapon to do the main source of damage for me. This is why I like to dps with items like Stormcaller (Ranger), Tall Grass, etc.. high physical (+ lash & nice on-hits ) dps with a badass, highly enchanted weapon. Just my prefered playstyle. Can be melee or ranged, any suggestion (talents, stats and items) is welcome for those classes.

Now, I was thinking the usual: Edér as main tank, Aloth for mainly cc, Durance for them epic buffs and heals, maybe Hiravias for amazing aoe potential and the strong shapeshift to reserve per-rest uses, Kana as support (really liked his ranged attack speed boost chant, along with the +25% flame lash chant with my Stormcaller Ranger, don't know if he could be equally useful with a melee dps MC) and maybe GM as a support/cc Cipher.

I found Barb to be very fun with Tall Grass/Hours of St. Rumbalt combo, while the tank is holding down a choke or simply letting everything sorround him if no chokepoint. I also enjoyed a dual-wielding Rogue with 2 stilettos/2 sabres. However, that one proved to be extremely squishy, even when I was maneuvering with a lot of care. Not sure if they'd work on PotD. I'd be very much interested in a dps-centric Cipher, as well, and I'm pretty sure you can still use some cc like Whispers and Puppet Master despite being a main dps.

That's all that comes to mind, sorry for the fairly long post, I hope somebody with a lot of experience finds the time and patience to read this mess of a thread and reply. For that, thanks in advance!

- If I go to WM1/2 to get some early items that are needed, then go back to OC (original campaign/vanilla game) and only return after high levels before dealing with Thaos, will I get an option to upscale the content?

Yes. I believe the option will come up when you are about to jump into the hole (point of no return).

- Are there any user-friendly mods that re-enable achievements? Because I'd really want to roleplay as a good character (benevolent, honest), but I have this thing that I want my MC to be a hardcore dps every time, and getting that amazing +0.3crit damage is only possible through the Doemenel faction. And if I'd choose to be more of a tank or cc monkey, I'd be forced to hire mercs, but I want to play with the fixed companions.

Someone else can probably help you with that. I only use console for testing purpose.

Currently my MC is alos siding with the Doemenel faction. There are some Benevolent choices to be made there too. You can still manage your disposition siding with them.

Otherwise the Dozen Talent are also kinda offensive themed too.

- I usually go with 5 people, would I need 6 (probably not, but asking anyway) for PotD?

Coincidentally, I am currently doing a 5man PotD playthrough too (in the spirit of deadfire). But I have a ranger so Im controlling 6 characters. Note that this is done with no split pulling of enemies.

I found Barb to be very fun with Tall Grass/Hours of St. Rumbalt combo, while the tank is holding down a choke or simply letting everything sorround him if no chokepoint. I also enjoyed a dual-wielding Rogue with 2 stilettos/2 sabres. However, that one proved to be extremely squishy, even when I was maneuvering with a lot of care. Not sure if they'd work on PotD. I'd be very much interested in a dps-centric Cipher, as well, and I'm pretty sure you can still use some cc like Whispers and Puppet Master despite being a main dps.

It can definitely work. My current playthrough MC is a dual stilettos Skaen Priest which kinda resembles how a rogue handles melee combat. Although shes squishy on paper (no shield, 8 Res), her knockout count is still at zero and I have progressed into Galvino's lab.

The thing about these fragile dps chars is attacking at the opportune time and recognizing attacks that are dangerous to your dps character. It might take a bit of knowledge of what to expect though, and in WM there are a few scripted ambush encounters that will expose your backline. It might catch you out of guard if it's your first time progressing through.

Edited by mosspit

Thanks for the reply. One thing, though.

Yes. I believe the option will come up when you are about to jump into the hole (point of no return).

You seem to have misunderstood my question. I was wondering that if I visited WM 1 at low levels for let's say Stormcaller and whatnot, then returned to vanilla game and leveled up to 13+, would the game give me the option to upscale the WM 1 content? Or would I need to continue against low level scaled enemies?

You will be fine.

Any of the classes available are easy for POTD. Barbs, monks and chanters are the three weakest classes imo.

Barbs are completely pointless. They basicaly do exactly what any caster can do but you have to stand in the front line doing it.

Monks are ok but they have a lot of abilities and skills that are centered on not using weapons and magic items Witch for me equals super boring.

Obsidian completely f'd up the usefulness curve of chanters. They honestly are as useless as **** on a bull right up until they get dragon thrashed witch then makes them quite powerful. It is just incredibly boring playing a one trick poney like the chanter and they really suck in the low- mid levels.

Avoid these traps and you will be fine

Edited by firkraag888

Thanks for the reply. One thing, though.

You seem to have misunderstood my question. I was wondering that if I visited WM 1 at low levels for let's say Stormcaller and whatnot, then returned to vanilla game and leveled up to 13+, would the game give me the option to upscale the WM 1 content? Or would I need to continue against low level scaled enemies?

No. The choice is one-time only. I believe you will get the option for upscale when you are level 9+ when entering WM1.

Btw classes like Barb, Monks and Chanters are fine. Monks is actually my top 3 pick for the most fun classes I can play.

[...] Barbs, monks and chanters are the three weakest classes imo.

Barbs are completely pointless. They basicaly do exactly what any caster can do but you have to stand in the front line doing it.

Monks are ok but they have a lot of abilities and skills that are centered on not using weapons and magic items Witch for me equals super boring.

Obsidian completely f'd up the usefulness curve of chanters. They honestly are as useless as **** on a bull right up until they get dragon thrashed witch then makes them quite powerful. It is just incredibly boring playing a one trick poney like the chanter and they really suck in the low- mid levels. [...]

And here you go again. Glad that you added "imo" this time.

I absolutely depends how you play and how much experience you have with said classes. I'd say that the said three classes (barb, monk, chanter) are the three best ones when it comes to non-casters (chanter is kind of a semi-caster). But that's just me of course, but I guess I'm not alone with this opinion.

Saying that barbs are completely pointless (while there is an active thread on this first forum site where Raven D. prayses the barb for being awesome in PoTD solo) is somewhat ignorant. You obvioulsy never played a barb long enough to know the strentghs of that class.

Also - some months ago - we told you that barbs can do tremendous things with Carnage and stunning or overbearing weapons (or St. Ydwen's Redeemer). And you admitted that you didn't know this. We showed you the video how Kaylon kills a whole bounty enounter with Heart of Fury (no caster can do that, even at lvl 16). Still today you insist that barbs are pointless and try to convince others about this and call them a trap in character choice. What's the point of that? I mean it's ok that one doesn't like how barbs work, but to denigrate those classes you don't get along with is not very helpful for others who might feel different - if they only get the chance to play them unbiased.

I also explained to you how a low level chanter can eradicate all inhabitants of Raedric's castle alone with White Worms while he provides +10 to reflex, fortitude and will and adds +1 move speed to the whole party. Or how his Phantom can obliterate most enemies in the early game with ease (if you're willing to work around the slow phrase building a bit). I can't see how that's not useful.

Monks can use ANY melee weapon they wish and all their abilites work with ANY melee weapon as well. Even better: things like stunning and overbearing on "magical items" and even spell chances work with the cone of Torment's Reach - so you can stun whole groups in that huge cone of Torment's Reach with a crit from your war hammer (or cause prone with your battle axe). Not very boring but quite exiting - especially when you add the fact that a monk can also cause the weakened affliction on crit with ability. That means a monk can trigger instant AoE - Deathblows for a fellow rogue with one single Full Attack(!) of Torment's Reach while dealing enormous damage. So they are on NO way limited to their fists as viable weapons. His fists are great weapons too though - and you get them for free.

Tl;dr: there are no "traps" when it comes to class choice. Some classes work better with your playstyle, some don't. Some are powerful in the early game and lack a bit later on, while with other classes it's the other way round. Don't listen to people who say that this or that class is weak or bad. There are no deadbeat classes in PoE.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

[...] Barbs, monks and chanters are the three weakest classes imo.

Obsidian completely f'd up the usefulness curve of chanters. They honestly are as useless as **** on a bull right up until they get dragon thrashed witch then makes them quite powerful. It is just incredibly boring playing a one trick poney like the chanter and they really suck in the low- mid levels. [...]

Tl;dr: there are no "traps" when it comes to class choice. Some classes work better with your playstyle, some don't. Some are powerful in the early game and lack a bit later on, while with other classes it's the other way round. Don't listen to people who say that this or that class is weak or bad. There are no deadbeat classes in PoE.

Yes, even as a newb, I find the classes pretty well-balanced. The only possible exception is Rogue - who provides very little group utility, who is fragile, whose practical single target DPS is not always even the best due to the need to leash him until he is safe.

• Like 1

You will be fine.

Any of the classes available are easy for POTD. Barbs, monks and chanters are the three weakest classes imo.

Obsidian completely f'd up the usefulness curve of chanters. They honestly are as useless as **** on a bull right up until they get dragon thrashed witch then makes them quite powerful. It is just incredibly boring playing a one trick poney like the chanter and they really suck in the low- mid levels.

Chanters are awesome summoners and have max deflection. Give them W&S style, high Int, Per and Res and they are quite a front line tank. Even without Dragons Slahed they can dump Ogres and Drakes into combat, explode corpses, stun, buff, heal. Pretty much they do everything but top tier weapon damage. But you can even build them to be a two hand sword monsters if you want as they already have the deflection covered. Just add healing resources like Shod boots, Vet's Recovery , etc... I like them better than Pallies (...sorry Torm51

• Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

You will be fine.

Chanters are awesome summoners and have max deflection. Give them W&S style, high Int, Per and Res and they are quite a front line tank. Even without Dragons Slahed they can dump Ogres and Drakes into combat, explode corpses, stun, buff, heal. Pretty much they do everything but top tier weapon damage. But you can even build them to be a two hand sword monsters if you want as they already have the deflection covered. Just add healing resources like Shod boots, Vet's Recovery , etc... I like them better than Pallies (...sorry Torm51).

What do you mean by "max deflection"? I thought Paladins and Fighters get higher deflection?

Anyways, I am currently running 2 Chanters from Boerer's Chillfog build - one tank and the other DPS melee. While the tank is doing okay, the DPS seems in danger of dying every other fight. So I'd like any advice on how to make him a bit more sturdy at this stage (level 4). Or maybe I have to be just patient early going, take my licks, and then thrive later?

While I was waiting for answers, I went ahead and made a chanter tank to test it out on PotD. While it's definitely harder to tank with it than a Pal or Fighter, I managed to reach Defiance Bay with all possible content completed before Act ll with only the MC, Aloth and Durance. There were some challenging fights and I had to reload, especially when there were no chokes to abuse, but I really don't see how the Chanter would be weak. I hope the tanking potential will increase later on.

Would you guys say it'd be alright to use Shatterstar (+0.5 crit mult., +1 enemy engaged) or Measured Restraint (+5 default acc is nice and +1 engaged) instead of a hatchet? The unique hatchets aren't really good imo, at least they don't give the +1 engage I'm looking for. With either of those weapons and the defensive talent, my Chanter could engage 3 enemies, so "leaking" wouldn't happen so often as it does.

My base stats atm are:

18 mig

10 con

3 dex

17 per

18 int

10 res

I took high might because I was expecting to have nice dps with Winds and Dragon Thrashed later on and also be able to heal some with AM, but maybe I should lower it in favor of resolve and con, and respec later when I get that chant?

Anyway, think I'm gonna add GM and Hiravias to the party soon. I might also need Edér or Pallegina to help out on the front.

• Like 1

What do you mean by "max deflection"? I thought Paladins and Fighters get higher deflection?

Anyways, I am currently running 2 Chanters from Boerer's Chillfog build - one tank and the other DPS melee. While the tank is doing okay, the DPS seems in danger of dying every other fight. So I'd like any advice on how to make him a bit more sturdy at this stage (level 4). Or maybe I have to be just patient early going, take my licks, and then thrive later?

He meant max starting deflection I guess. It's not completely correct, since fighters start with 30, but a chanter is on par with monks for example (25) and that is the second highest starting value after fighters. Paladins only get 20, but with their ability "Faith and Convition" they instantly get a bonus of +5/+10 to deflection/other defenses and then a bit more automatically per level (companions/hirelings) or if the dispositions are correct (player char). So usually a paladin will have better deflection after few levels - but chanters, monks and paladins start with the same deflection value into the game.

But chanters have low endurance and also low health. I guess your "dps" chanter has problems because of that. In the beginning, give him Veteran's Recovery, Ancient Memory and Beloved Spirits asap as well as survial up to 8 and choose healing bonus when camping. Add to this Fulvano's Amulet that you can find in the south of Magran's Fork (on a troll). This should give him nice endurance regeneration. For his health issues you will either have to engage later than sooner so that he doesn't draw too many enemies or give him potions of Infuse with Vital Essence or pick Wound Binding. After some more levels that problem will solve itself once his health pool is a bit bigger. Also put him in plate. The thing is that a chanter will never be a great dps-dealer with a melee weapon until he gets "The Champion braved the Horde alone". The "Last Unicorn" variant was more about aesthetics and also because The White Spire estoc has some nice ice-themed spell bindings and just looks so good with the White Crest armor (which also has nice spell bindings).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

But chanters have low endurance and also low health. I guess your "dps" chanter has problems because of that. In the beginning, give him Veteran's Recovery, Ancient Memory and Beloved Spirits asap as well as survial up to 8 and choose healing bonus when camping. Add to this Fulvano's Amulet that you can find in the south of Magran's Fork (on a troll). This should give him nice endurance regeneration. For his health issues you will either have to engage later than sooner so that he doesn't draw too many enemies or give him potions of Infuse with Vital Essence or pick Wound Binding. After some more levels that problem will solve itself once his health pool is a bit bigger. Also put him in plate. The thing is that a chanter will never be a great dps-dealer with a melee weapon until he gets "The Champion braved the Horde alone". The "Last Unicorn" variant was more about aesthetics and also because The White Spire estoc has some nice ice-themed spell bindings and just looks so good with the White Crest armor (which also has nice spell bindings).

Got it. I will give him Veteran's Recovery at next level up then. I already have Ancient Memory. Is Beloved Spirits an automatic level-up - or something I have to pick? I don't think I've seen it; but then I am only level 4.

I put him in Eder's armor, because that has 1 per rest auto-revival. As for not being able to do a lot of DPS with weapons, another thing I noticed was that he swung so few times - half the number of hits as my Paladin. I assume he's not casting when he is using Invocations, but is there a delay involved even when using Chants? There seems to be a lot of weird things going on in my current playthrough that perplexes me. The Chanter has half the number of hits as the Paladin; and yet he's doing more damage, etc.

Finally, are you supposed to have another shield tank when you use a Chanter main tank? So far I am doing okay with keeping stuff off of my squish back-line, but I am afraid I will be really tested with aggro once I run into the real AoE fights. I haven't done the Ogre woman yet, precisely because of this reason.

While I was waiting for answers, I went ahead and made a chanter tank to test it out on PotD. While it's definitely harder to tank with it than a Pal or Fighter, I managed to reach Defiance Bay with all possible content completed before Act ll with only the MC, Aloth and Durance. There were some challenging fights and I had to reload, especially when there were no chokes to abuse, but I really don't see how the Chanter would be weak. I hope the tanking potential will increase later on.

Would you guys say it'd be alright to use Shatterstar (+0.5 crit mult., +1 enemy engaged) or Measured Restraint (+5 default acc is nice and +1 engaged) instead of a hatchet? The unique hatchets aren't really good imo, at least they don't give the +1 engage I'm looking for. With either of those weapons and the defensive talent, my Chanter could engage 3 enemies, so "leaking" wouldn't happen so often as it does.

My base stats atm are:

18 mig

10 con

3 dex

17 per

18 int

10 res

I took high might because I was expecting to have nice dps with Winds and Dragon Thrashed later on and also be able to heal some with AM, but maybe I should lower it in favor of resolve and con, and respec later when I get that chant?

Anyway, think I'm gonna add GM and Hiravias to the party soon. I might also need Edér or Pallegina to help out on the front.

Number of engagements is kinda overrated. It was more useful during the vanilla times, owing to changes to enemy targeting patterns. If the enemy targeting pattern is default, it doesn't matter if the frontline can engage the enemy as the enemy will still be targeting the said character. If the enemy specifically target your backline, the enemy will break and eat engagement attacks to reach your backline. Either case will stil happen with even if your frontline has increased number of engagement slots.

• Like 1

My base stats atm are:

18 mig

10 con

3 dex

17 per

18 int

10 res

Number of engagements is kinda overrated. It was more useful during the vanilla times, owing to changes to enemy targeting patterns. If the enemy targeting pattern is default, it doesn't matter if the frontline can engage the enemy as the enemy will still be targeting the said character. If the enemy specifically target your backline, the enemy will break and eat engagement attacks to reach your backline. Either case will stil happen with even if your frontline has increased number of engagement slots.

What is the default number of engagements of non-fighters without any talents? And is there a way to increase the number without getting +engagements gear?

Also, isn't Shatterstar an excellent weapon at that stage of the game anyways? I am thinking of getting rid of my Whispers of Yewood in favor of it.

My base stats atm are:

18 mig

10 con

3 dex

17 per

18 int

10 res

What is the default number of engagements of non-fighters without any talents? And is there a way to increase the number without getting +engagements gear?

Also, isn't Shatterstar an excellent weapon at that stage of the game anyways? I am thinking of getting rid of my Whispers of Yewood in favor of it.

I am pretty sure everyone has one engagement slot to start. So to increase yes equipment and Hold the Line talent increase it and fighters defender. 

Shatterstar hands down if you want to do more damage. the .5 crit, the higher interrupt, and the better two types of damage (crush, pierce) which is better than swords (slash/pierce). I guess if you cant hit anything and just looking to tank the whispers of yenwood could be argued as better not sure i buy that but looks like its more for a tank or priest of Magran like durance who needs to use swords with his ability. Also what is nice with Whispers is that the +2 con stacks with other + con equipment because weapons with +attributes all stack with other equipment +attributes. So if you are looking to stack constitution could be interesting. I have seen (Boeroer of course) someone use dual whispers of yenwood for +4 con on top of other +4 con equipment for +8 con which is kinda fun.

Edited by draego
  • Like 2