Politics - Jason X

Amentep

Regardless of the weapon, this is going to fundamentally change the way we check in to hotels. Other than that I'm pretty much at a loss. Are we going to have snipers set up at all major events from now on?

If it IS and illegal weapon that begs the question "how did he get it". So that detail is important. How does anyone protect themselves anywhere these days? In Spain and France terrorists are killing innocent people with vehicles now.

which seems to be less dangerous than guns

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Regardless of the weapon, this is going to fundamentally change the way we check in to hotels. Other than that I'm pretty much at a loss. Are we going to have snipers set up at all major events from now on?

If it IS and illegal weapon that begs the question "how did he get it". So that detail is important. How does anyone protect themselves anywhere these days? In Spain and France terrorists are killing innocent people with vehicles now.

Not really. In 2016 in the US 40218 people were killed in vehicular related incident and 11652 by firearms (counting both criminal and accidents on firearms. Not sure of the vehicle breakdown)

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You are kidding here right?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

And guns seem less dangerous than stampedes.  ;)

As pointed out, almost any semi-automatic weapon can be converted to full automatic in under 10 minutes. An AR-15 modified to full auto can shoot approximately 2 rounds per second. So if we consider the 27 seconds of firing time he should only have been able to get off ~60 rounds. People are reporting "hundreds" of rounds fired so I wonder if he was dual wielding fully automatic weapons or if he had help.

Oh sure, it's illegal to buy one or convert one. Show of hands, who here knows people who have enough tech savvy that they could convert readily available crud? I'm sure all of those would be deterred by it being illegal if they snapped. "We've tried everything to stop it! We told them they'd be fined in addition to their other sentencing if we found out they killed 20 people with a MODIFIED gun! Gosh, I don't understand why they didn't listen!"

But let's just debate and do nothing, and then next time we'll do that too.

When 3D printing was becoming big, the gun community was getting really interested in printing low receivers, with a long term goal of a way to make upper receivers. Part files were being made open source so anyone could start printing their own gun parts.

If you had open schematics to 3D print or even CNC route out an automatic ar-15 upper receiver then all you'd need access to is some equipment to do so.

You have so many people into this whole world of guns, that a future to be assailant can lead a normal hobbyist life before ever turning the barrel on the innocent.

@GD and Chill

I do think mass homicides are more easily carried out with guns than cars, yes

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

As pointed out, almost any semi-automatic weapon can be converted to full automatic in under 10 minutes. An AR-15 modified to full auto can shoot approximately 2 rounds per second. So if we consider the 27 seconds of firing time he should only have been able to get off ~60 rounds. People are reporting "hundreds" of rounds fired so I wonder if he was dual wielding fully automatic weapons or if he had help.

Listen to the audio in the link I posted. That was no 30 round magazine. Even if he did convert and AR you can't make it belt fed. It doe not have the hardware to self feed. AR and AKMs use a spring in the magazine to feed the next round into the rifle. And if you did make an AR full auto you can't control the rate of fire anymore. In other words once you pull the trigger it empties the magazine. But even then the biggest magazine is 30 rounds. The HK-21 & MG-34 can be modified to be belt fed. Both are illegal in the US.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

@GD and Chill

No argument there. That wasn't what you said though.  :p 

Thomas Sowell

@GD and Chill

No argument there. That wasn't what you said though. :p

admittedly I was conveying my message very poorly. But that was what I meant

And everybody knows

@GD and Chill

warning, visual

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Listen to the audio in the link I posted. That was no 30 round magazine. Even if he did convert and AR you can't make it belt fed. It doe not have the hardware to self feed. AR and AKMs use a spring in the magazine to feed the next round into the rifle. And if you did make an AR full auto you can't control the rate of fire anymore. In other words once you pull the trigger it empties the magazine. But even then the biggest magazine is 30 rounds. The HK-21 & MG-34 can be modified to be belt fed. Both are illegal in the US.

Just last week I saw someone convert an ar-15 to eject casings out of the lower receiver and feed in from an p90 50-round box mag. They sell even higher capacity casket fed p90 magazines. I think if someone really wanted to rig something up they could.

Just last week I saw someone convert an ar-15 to eject casings out of the lower receiver and feed in from an p90 50-round box mag. They sell even higher capacity casket fed p90 magazines. I think if someone really wanted to rig something up they could.

I've seen people attach drums to AR-15s (belt fed too) before as well but to me it's not about capacity as I'm not sure the barrel (or gas tube) could take such a high rate of fire as is being suggested

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I think we are getting caught up in the details of the gun, when that seems a bit like a dead end. Whether it was illegal or not, modified, etc. is going to mean very little because you will have one side crying out for gun control and the other (NRA) side shutting down any notion of that sort. It will get us nowhere, and I see it as pointless. Besides, is it really any better if he has to fire slower? The guy was in an elevated position and there was no simple way to get to him. 

I'm more interested in what hotels will be changing and how will large concert venues handle security differently. Bag checks? Cameras in the rooms? Metal detectors? 

I think that without any additional info it's somewhat natural that we discuss the minutiae, especially if it's in an area that we think we have knowledge

I have no idea about those other things

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

I think we are getting caught up in the details of the gun, when that seems a bit like a dead end. Whether it was illegal or not, modified, etc. is going to mean very little because you will have one side crying out for gun control and the other (NRA) side shutting down any notion of that sort. It will get us nowhere, and I see it as pointless. Besides, is it really any better if he has to fire slower? The guy was in an elevated position and there was no simple way to get to him. 

I'm more interested in what hotels will be changing and how will large concert venues handle security differently. Bag checks? Cameras in the rooms? Metal detectors? 

Why are you focused on Hotels, they are not only elevated place on earth. It was just one of the options

Because it happened in a hotel overlooking a large concert venue? That seems like a dumb question.

no its not, there are tons of buildings overlooking a large concert venue, what is so special about hotels in that regard?

Because it happened in a hotel overlooking a large concert venue? That seems like a dumb question.

no its not, there are tons of buildings overlooking a large concert venue, what is so special about hotels in that regard?

In the same way that book depositories are special.