Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Weird, Random and Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
639 replies to this topic

injurai

injurai

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1351 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Somebody show show a video of this to a crow. All hell might break loose.

smjjames

smjjames

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Do we have a space thread somewhere?

SpaceX may have failed to get an expensive government sat into orbit. Ouch, this is gonna hurt their reputation for a while. At least until they can find out what went wrong.

It's light on details due to it being a classified mission and the main source being WSJ.

Katphood

Katphood

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1746 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

We don't have a 'cute & cuddly things' thread so I'll just post this here:

Edited by Katphood, 08 January 2018 - 11:41 PM.

• Raithe and injurai like this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7063 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Should be a nice blowback from this. Hopefully they rotate the cop through a warzone. I loved his threat to arrest more for 'public intimidation' :lol:

Edited by Malcador, 09 January 2018 - 07:28 AM.

• Hurlshot likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 573 posts

Federal charges against Cliven, Ammon, and Ryan Bundy dismissed with prejudice. https://www.reviewjo...n-bundy-2-sons/

This stems back to the big stand off in Nevada a few years ago. The BLM decided to resolve a simple grazing contract dispute with automatic weapons, snipers, mace, and beatings. Oh, and a flagrant disregard of the 4th Amendment.  I would not go so far as call the Bundy's the "good guys" but the government was definitely the "bad guys" in this debacle.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16970 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Should sue the gov't for abuse of power, Nazism, and evil corruption. This goes for both the teacher situation and the Bundy situation.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7277 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Federal charges against Cliven, Ammon, and Ryan Bundy dismissed with prejudice. https://www.reviewjo...n-bundy-2-sons/

This stems back to the big stand off in Nevada a few years ago. The BLM decided to resolve a simple grazing contract dispute with automatic weapons, snipers, mace, and beatings. Oh, and a flagrant disregard of the 4th Amendment.  I would not go so far as call the Bundy's the "good guys" but the government was definitely the "bad guys" in this debacle.

the bundy folks is bad guys.  doesn't matter though.  US system is a bit weird.  most o' the rest o' the civilized world do not let bad guys go free 'cause the government made a mistake or acted unlawful.  govt. malfeasance is not a "get out of jail free" card virtual anywheres but the US. may not be logical, but there is wisdom in the US system, even if we personal do not like it.  to discourage future malfeasance by the govt., bad guys is allowed to walk free when government is a wrongdoer. doesn't matter if the defendant is a bad guy as govt bad actions trump. bundys is bad, but it don't matter in this case.  government can't get away with doing wrong 'cause it is later shown the victim o' the govt wrongdoing were also a bad guy.  the State is held to a higher standard. 

there is any number o' practical disadvantages to being a defendant in a criminal proceeding.  however, there is many systematic advantages to being the defendant.  with competent counsel (if the defendant is able to afford such) there is much challenge to getting a conviction o' even the obvious/clear guilty in the US system... which like it or not, is part o' the design. should never be surprised when bad cops or bundys or evil drug dealers go free.  the system is consciously rigged to favor such folks. 

HA! Good Fun!

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8675 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

I suppose the big question is whether it is better to falsely imprison someone, or let a guilty party roam free. 

• redneckdevil likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7277 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I suppose the big question is whether it is better to falsely imprison someone, or let a guilty party roam free. 

agreed... but is difficult for many to accept the injustices which results.

“for the law holds, that it is better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer.”

HA! Good Fun!

• Hurlshot likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7277 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

am gonna add one thing by noting how exclusion ain't so much protection o' innocence or future innocence.  rules 'which set guilty free when govt violates rules ain't so much 'bout protecting the innocent as is 'bout protecting rights of everybody, innocent or guilty.  is the kinda thing which should make gd happy 'cause makes rights more important than justice or even people.  we go to great the lengths in this country to protect intangible ideals from government interference, even to the point we is protecting wrongdoers, evildoers, from the State. 

HA! Good Fun!

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16970 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well.. because the 'state' is usually amongst the most 'evil doers'. LMAO

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1000 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Wasn't the whole Bundy situation about the govt taking things it's not supposed to have the right to and them fighting back?

Weither they bad guys or good, I'm happy to hear the result.
Besides morality is subjective, govt making what can be own subjective....

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2618 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Thought it was the Bundys refusing to pay grazing fees and then the gov't overreacting

Edited by ShadySands, 09 January 2018 - 04:02 PM.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16970 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I thought it was about the Bundys   not being bullied by the gov't's  bullying tatics  even if the Bundys aren't 'squeaky clean'. Neither is the gov't.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2618 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ha, 3 posts and 3 different answers.

I suppose we could just look it up

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 573 posts

Thought it was the Bundys refusing to pay grazing fees and then the gov't overreacting

This was it. It's a little more complex than that because the land the cattle was grazing on was supposed to have been turned over to the state a long time ago. So there was a dispute to just who grazing fees even were owed to. Plus there was a Chinese owned power company that had an interest in leasing the land and some of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's family members were involved in brokering the deal. 

Like most stories this one had more layers than was obvious from the news. 

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 573 posts

am gonna add one thing by noting how exclusion ain't so much protection o' innocence or future innocence.  rules 'which set guilty free when govt violates rules ain't so much 'bout protecting the innocent as is 'bout protecting rights of everybody, innocent or guilty.  is the kinda thing which should make gd happy 'cause makes rights more important than justice or even people.  we go to great the lengths in this country to protect intangible ideals from government interference, even to the point we is protecting wrongdoers, evildoers, from the State. 

HA! Good Fun!

Exactly correct. There are far too many examples of heavy handed abuse of the citizens by the US government. Frankly I am surprised this whole thing ended as peacefully as it did. It's hardly unheard of for Federal law enforcement is to shoot the suspects and all the witnesses. I

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3250 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Geekscape Podcast - Recruiting a new co-host, Casper van Dien

Casper talks about working on the Sci-Fi classic ‘Starship Troopers’ and working with directing geniuses like Tim Burton and Paul Verhoeven! We also talk a bit about his own directing work and how he approaches it as an actor! And of course I’ve got to mention Casper’s appearances in two of my favorites: ‘Beast Master III’ and ‘Wing Commander IV’! The man has a ton of awesome sci-fi stories so sit back and enjoy!

I did find a little amusement in the "Okay, so WIng Commander IV. I took a job just to get Mark Hamill's autograph." aspect.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7063 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
I had no idea he was in 4.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral