THE FINAL MOST OVERPOWERED CLASS (BUILD) THREAD

"And a proper way would be to define a ruleset. " - ok, i'm in. Let's start from encounter and level 16? Which encounter? Naired? Level 16 will be overpowered in any case, i prefer 13.

I would say lvl 16 because spellcasters might want to use all spell levels.

Picking a level in between might be tricky because some abilities are peaks of power (like Heart of Fury, Sacred Immolation, Deathblows and so on) and picking the max level would be the easiest way to determine every class build is fully developed. If we wanted to be superthorough we could do encounters at lvl 4, 8 and 16 for example. But you can already see that this would be bad for chanters. Maybe 5, 9 and 16 - would be bad for rogues... And the finer the grid the more work and fuzz. It's tricky. So I would suggest lvl 16 - seems to be the most easiest way.

Nalrend encounter has a TON of endurance to reduce, a lot of damage and ACC and low defenses. It favours sturdy builds with high damage potential but not too high accuracy (like Dragon Thrashed chanter for example). But I still like it. Just saying. It's my number one testing encounter for builds, so maybe that's not fair.

Ok, maybe you right. So, what rules and win conditions? Maybe time - the winner is one, who defeat Nalrend gang faster?

And, just sayin' - if we play one encouter then every caster class (exept cipher, maybe) will outdamage any of melee build, blowing in all high level spells, becose no need to bother about camping supplies.

Edited by Phenomenum

The single most powerful build of the game is most likely Fire Priest indeed. I would argue that a support oriented (very high Int) fire priest with fire damages as backup is probably optimal: priest buffs are ridicuously powerful and Int is also nice for AoE and Duration of damage spells. Priest isn't less versatile than wizzard. It's just Party Buffs and Damages vs Crowd Control and Damages.

Eothas priest is my favorite. Weapon talent is crap but weapons are unnecessary for priest anyway. Symbol of Eothas is one the best spell of the game and it does fire damages which combines nicely with Scion of Flames.

Wizzard, preferrably with high accuracy and decent might, is also incredibly good.

Then comes the Thunder Cat.

Edited by Elric Galad

I would also say that the max MIG & INT priest is the most powerful build. Doesn't even need to be "fire priest" - which basically just means picking Scion of Flame. ;) But that is the best pick if you want an elemental booster talent of course.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

"And a proper way would be to define a ruleset. " - ok, i'm in. Let's start from encounter and level 16? Which encounter? Naired? Level 16 will be overpowered in any case, i prefer 13.

I would say lvl 16 because spellcasters might want to use all spell levels.

Picking a level in between might be tricky because some abilities are peaks of power (like Heart of Fury, Sacred Immolation, Deathblows and so on) and picking the max level would be the easiest way to determine every class build is fully developed. If we wanted to be superthorough we could do encounters at lvl 4, 8 and 16 for example. But you can already see that this would be bad for chanters. Maybe 5, 9 and 16 - would be bad for rogues... And the finer the grid the more work and fuzz. It's tricky. So I would suggest lvl 16 - seems to be the most easiest way.

Nalrend encounter has a TON of endurance to reduce, a lot of damage and ACC and low defenses. It favours sturdy builds with high damage potential but not too high accuracy (like Dragon Thrashed chanter for example). But I still like it. Just saying. It's my number one testing encounter for builds, so maybe that's not fair.

Ok, maybe you right. So, what rules and win conditions? Maybe time - the winner is one, who defeat Nalrend gang faster?

And, just sayin' - if we play one encouter then every caster class (exept cipher, maybe) will outdamage any of melee build, blowing in all high level spells, becose no need to bother about camping supplies.

Yeah - true. But that's why they are considered to be the most powerful classes in the first place. ;)

But you can always go back and rest, so spending every per-rest ability in a fight is what defines your real power.

If you say: I don't want to rest-spam, you are asking: who is the strongest with one arm tight to their back, or any kind of handicap, which is all just a matter of taste.

The real challenge of the game is only in the very hard boss fights. All the other fights are just a balance of how much resources you want to throw at it, but you have to make that decision yourself. The game itself allows you to make those smaller fights as easy as you want.

In my first party on Normal difficulty I just did the first White March fights, but I have now levelled up so much, that it has not been much of a challenge (except when I prematurely thought I was going to lift that siege near my castle :w00t: )

So in the mean time, I have started several runs on hard, discovering new classes, and by now I have won my castles for the fourth time, and I am starting to regard Chapter I as a set of know puzzles that I am solving ever more efficiently.

But you can always go back and rest, so spending every per-rest ability in a fight is what defines your real power.

If you say: I don't want to rest-spam, you are asking: who is the strongest with one arm tight to their back, or any kind of handicap, which is all just a matter of taste.

The real challenge of the game is only in the very hard boss fights. All the other fights are just a balance of how much resources you want to throw at it, but you have to make that decision yourself. The game itself allows you to make those smaller fights as easy as you want.

In my first party on Normal difficulty I just did the first White March fights, but I have now levelled up so much, that it has not been much of a challenge (except when I prematurely thought I was going to lift that siege near my castle :w00t: )

So in the mean time, I have started several runs on hard, discovering new classes, and by now I have won my castles for the fourth time, and I am starting to regard Chapter I as a set of know puzzles that I am solving ever more efficiently.

There are no really hard challenges in the game after a full party of 6 hits about level 11 unfortunately. If you got a druid and your using relentless storm it makes it even worse.

My current playthrough all my guys are level 13 (with a druid using storms) and I have no further interest in finishing the game because has become way to easy. Im never rolling a druid again. Am im probably going to try and solo the game for now on

Not really. It's like wanting to compare a 100m runner and a marathon runner and asking them to run a 100m race to find who's the best...

Also, deciding who's the best based on a single encounter is also misleading.

What items are allowed to use? Would a rogue using just scrolls be considered the best class if he can beat the encounter the fastest?

• Like 1

Sure - but in order to do a quick test and get a hint what's powerful and what not you don't want to do complete playthrougs all the time.

I would ban consumables completely just because it would make it easier to focus on the class abilities and talents which make the class powerful. But yeah - a rogue is a better scroll user than a wizard, a paladin or a barbarian. One encounter is also not enough to see if a supporter build is really good or not. And playing solo surely doesn't say anything about support abilities.

But I guess you have to lower the sights if you don't want to do excessive testing marathons.

Sure - but in order to do a quick test and get a hint what's powerful and what not you don't want to do complete playthrougs all the time.

I would ban consumables completely just because it would make it easier to focus on the class abilities and talents which make the class powerful. But yeah - a rogue is a better scroll user than a wizard, a paladin or a barbarian. One encounter is also not enough to see if a supporter build is really good or not. And playing solo surely doesn't say anything about support abilities.

But I guess you have to lower the sights if you don't want to do excessive testing marathons.

Rogues could be better scroll users then wizards but generally they have low instelligence and there skill points are put into mechanics instead of lore.

Pretty rare to build a rogue with high intelligence and lore just to take advantage of the death blows synergy. Attributes and skill points better spent elsewhere IMO

Sure, the usual rogue build is not suitable. But actually a high INT rogue build with focus on spell bindings and scrolls is more powerful in the late game than the usual rogue. Because of ACC, crit conversion, Deathblows and Deep Wounds (which works with AoE spells that deal slash, pierce or crush damage). But it's rare, yes.

I once made a rogue build that was specialized on scrolls because else I rarely use them (if ever) in party play - and he was very powerful compared to the usual melee rogues I did. Of course only because of consumables, but still. It finally gave the rogue AoE damage. It was not even fully optimized but had a focus on background and role playing instead. ;)

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86156-class-build-the-sorcerers-apprentice-twisted-sneaky-dps-scroll-user/

Edited by Boeroer

Hmm... Never loved builds, founded on some limited resourses like scrolls and potions - at some moment, when consumables may not be available, Sinderella's coach will turn into pumpkin.

• Like 1

Fair enough. But fun fact: both are not limited. :)

Yeah, i know, but you should watch for your ingridients stock to make consumables an so on - another one management level, which could be fun...for someone. Anyway, it's just my opinion.

By the time, what about our competition? We should do something - establish rules, win conditions and GO!

My first interest - monk vs rogue.

My offers:

1. Ok, lvl 16. Upscaled content, Nailrend.

2. Party composition and equipment - up to contenders. But rest of party must be composed only with plot characters.

3. No consumables for any party members - food, potions, scrolls etc.

4. Winning conditions - fastest time, no knockouts.

Edited by Phenomenum

Are the other party members allowed to act offensively or are the only there for support? Because if you bring Kana with Dragon Thrashed at lvl 16 fpr example the bounty is over quickly without the main protagonist doing much. ;)

Are the other party members allowed to act offensively or are the only there for support? Because if you bring Kana with Dragon Thrashed at lvl 16 fpr example the bounty is over quickly without the main protagonist doing much. ;)

Ah, Kana...) Forgot about this, you are right.

Then add another one rule - no Kana?)

Damn, maybe most overpovered class is a chanter? From lvl 9, his only goal to keep alive - everyone around will die. If he start using scrolls, in meantime, then he bring up hillarious damage. Especially in one seperate encounter.

So no, without Kana - it's a cheat. I remembering, when i go to Cragshold for the first time ever - "i was young and reckless". Then i took Kana with me and...and that's all)

"Are the other party members allowed to act offensively or are the only there for support? " - i think the rest of your team should acting as usually, it's up to you to show strongest sides of your MC. If your team will be more effective, then we consider that my (your) MC giving nothing to team.

Fair enough. But fun fact: both are not limited. :)

Yeah, i know, but you should watch for your ingridients stock to make consumables an so on - another one management level, which could be fun...for someone. Anyway, it's just my opinion.

By the time, what about our competition? We should do something - establish rules, win conditions and GO!

My first interest - monk vs rogue.

You can't have a monk vs rogue competition while using other party members at the same time. It would have to be solo and without the use of any consumables or summons

Using melee characters that would be pretty hard on tough bounty fights. Spell casters would do it a lot easier. The monk summons (twins) would probably give him the advantage if you allowed him to use it.

Edited by firkraag888

Solo Rogue vs Nailrend? Ha-hah)

I've played as solo paladin once - when i was checkin' someone's save for bugs. It was awful - pal was lvl 8 or 9 and i loaded into white march ogres assault, i have White March dagger and shield, and full pack of figurines in quick slots; ok, i rush into the fight - nobody able to kill me, even hit (only graze), so i slowly cut those ogres, summoning figurines, and it was a hell-of-a-time - long, uninteresting, boring encounter for more than 10 min of real time.

I've drinkin' tea and watchin' how my pal slowly cut them down.

IT'S NOT FUN.

Edited by Phenomenum

Besides of that, it's party-rpg. Every class receives some help from team - not only buffs, but strategic.

Solo vs boss always mean "keep your MC alive longer than enemies". Kana will wins this for you, as Boeroer said. But we should understand how your MC cooperating with party - it showing not only beneficials of MC, but also overall skill of player.

Edited by Phenomenum

Solo monk vs. Nalrend is relatively easy (Monksterlasher does this without breaking into sweat most of the time) while with a rogue it's near impossible without kiting or heavy scroll use.

Since we're not looking for the best solo class things get tricky. I would prefer to use two or four distraction tanks who do nothing else than soak damage so that the tested char doesn't get pummeled to death instantly.

Solo monk vs. Nalrend is relatively easy (Monksterlasher does this without breaking into sweat most of the time) while with a rogue it's near impossible without kiting or heavy scroll use.

Since we're not looking for the best solo class things get tricky. I would prefer to use two or four distraction tanks who do nothing else than soak damage so that the tested char doesn't get pummeled to death instantly.

Ok, i understand your doubts. I don't have enought time for this right now, sorry - work takes away all my time(

I'll think about your words and answer you here or in private message (we've already thrashed this topic enough).

I don't think it's "doubt", coming from someone whose spent 3k hours in this game testing build viability he has a fair bit of data to pull from.

You had enough time to argue the point multiple times, but not enough to do an encounter to prove your point. Seems odd.