It's been a while since I was on forums and played the game. I currently own poe, white march i and ii, 3.04 edition. I played this game way back, before the expansion came out (white march i, I believe).

What did change? Is druid still the best class? Are damage spells still useless? What is most op and underpowered class?

Edited by Melusina

There is no such thing as best class if you know how to use all classes it seems. I myself like druids but never had a free space for a druid in my team apart from the Hiravias companion quest. Truth is many people are doing the math around here and might prove that a class with a certain build might be stronger than others. But the game on hard is very playable using all classes with no exception. Damage spells are not useless in my view, I used Aloth and his DPS abilities all the time and it was fine. If you dig around the forum you would even see people who have a build for a solo walkthrough with a barbarian - pretty exotic is it not<? I enjoyed some of the new skills introduced in the expansion, I guess you will like those, too and not only for druids.

For me, the most powerful class is the priest - and not only in the support role.

But all of them are pretty balanced now with the exception of rogue who falls behind a bit after mid game.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Depends , rogues are amazing early bloomers but fall off very heavily mid game. Wizards are more powerful with more game knowledge, if you know the upcoming fight, its weaker saving throws and attacks it uses imo the most OP classes are Wizzies, Priests who don't skimp out on Dex. God I wish I could reroll Durances stats. 

Also can't stand early game Chanters, especially tank ones. They aren't bad its just a flavour thing. 

I have serious altitus and hours into this game and my thoughts...for me, if I'm to be critical and a bit harsh;

Druids; love the spells variety and the effects, not a fan of how squishy Spiritshift is. Hats offto the Bat**** Crazy Build, so nice having a tanky druid especially with all the lovely cone spells. Wish there was more to do with level 4 spells, they aren't my fav 

Priests: I love all variations as long as they have Dex, with so many useful buffs having slow casts kills me, hence my hatred for Durance. The Berathian greatsword build with wounding (Tidefall), envenom strike and Cleansing flame is amazing. Hint, get decent dex and veterans recovery right away then all the acc stuff for GS. 

Ciphers; too many of their cool abilities aren't available to cast on self so I find myself spamming the same 4-ish powers, actually much more boring to me then I expected, also I HATE quick switch gun builds. Made a rogue like dual sabre cipher using a gun (one only, my criticism for quickswap is those builds with tons o guns), quick switch and escape from the cape of cheat used offensively was fun for a while.

Barbarian; late bloomers amazing on paper, a little too passive for me, (not a fan of mostly auto attacking) also their shouts make them stop which kinda hurts the frontline rusher type builds. IMO not enough people use barbaric blow early game, makes the class more fun till it blooms at 13+

Rogues; stealth is not fun in this game and super impractical, but the flanker builds can be very strong, late game health values and spells kinda make them meh however. I want to like rogues so much, but I really just do not. 

Ranger: I can't get into it, constant damage over burst (even though its really good) and pure ranged isn't my thing, the Pet Melee Flanking build of Boeroer's really redeemed the class for me though, even named my wolf after my last dog I lost and smiled the whole playthrough.

Wizard; amazing class, and this is from a guy who dislikes ranged, too bad spamming shadowflame is so OP. You can do anything with this class however, heck even I made a viable weird build with it. An electric based speedy melee fist using wizzie. And it wasn't terrible. 

Fighter; Lady of Pain build was amazing once I got charge, and built right even the tanks can do some damage, wish prone didnt fall off so easily and the scoprion like ability(?) had a better range and wasn't so silly with collision detection. 

Chanter: Not a lot of exp with them besides making Kana into a subpar tank with summons or worm spamming, feels gimmicky to me. I need to find a non tank build that uses more cones and less summons for fun.

Monk: Should be my class of choice, tons of actives, cc, tankiness, mobility. Not a fan of the masochist tanky playstlye however. I wanted a dodgy martial artist.Woulds aren't my playstyle. 

Paladin: Like em much more then I expected, probably cause Fath and Conviction shores up defenses so you can make a dex based melee type without getting bitchslapped and one shot all day. They seem to have amazing cohesion with some unique items like marking etc too. A boreal Dwarf Paly is so much fun due to the acc bonuses and my hatred for spirits and wilder. 

I am highly looking forward to subclasses and dual classing next game (can we multiclass or only dual?) it leaves more up for imagination. 

A spiritshifted specialty druid with rogue levels for example. 

And I am really hoping for a slight boost in finesse type defense so all dex based melee characters don't HAVE to be squishy as fk flankers or weirdo dagger and shield builds only. 

/Endrant

TLDR Priests and Wizzies OP

Druids are just fun, not OP.

Chanters and Pally's get great after a bit

the rest don't jive with me as much as I wanted

Edited by QuiteGoneJin

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88395-what-are-the-most-powerful-classes-in-303/

So basically, Wizz or Priest are consistently seen as best class, with druid #3.

I thought priest was 1st. Then I discovered priest damage spells. And now I am even more convinced.

Special mention to Symbol of Eothas which is basically strong support spell mied with strong friendly AoE damage spell. 

And Rogue weakest. 

Actually, rogues deliver exactly what they're supposed to do : High damage but squishy.

The thing is, as it is now, the game is divided between tough melee guys, and ranged squishies who supposedly never engage in melee. In this meta rogues stand out but not in a favorable way. Melee rogues will die sometimes and there's no real way to prevent that.

That being said, they're very efficient at what you want them to do. They just involve some more risk than other classes.

Actually, rogues deliver exactly what they're supposed to do : High damage but squishy.

The thing is, as it is now, the game is divided between tough melee guys, and ranged squishies who supposedly never engage in melee. In this meta rogues stand out but not in a favorable way. Melee rogues will die sometimes and there's no real way to prevent that.

That being said, they're very efficient at what you want them to do. They just involve some more risk than other classes.

I think higher level Rogues should be capable of being more disruptive in combat. Fighters have Knock Down, Into the Fray, Clear Out, and Charge, all of which can heavily disrupt the enemy battle line. Rogues should be able to cause trips, tumbles, unbalancing, distraction, and entanglement.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It would be very cool if they had drop traps, meaning if they could place ordinary traps in combat very quickly.

And/or if smoke cloud did something useful. I mean it does cause distraction, but for such a high level ability that's pretty lame. A more chillfoggish approach (without the damage part) but with an initial short stun (like from a flash bang) and a following blind debuff every few seconds until the cloud dissipates would have been better.

The "charging" thing with a rogue can be quite fun if you use Shadow Step and Escape. You can rush in, deliver a blow or two, automatically retreat, then return with Escape and finish. Usually this messes up the enemies movement a lot. :)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods