Car - suggestions

Chilloutman

I'm in a similar boat right now, as I'm shopping for a new car, though I can't offer any help since I'm in Murica and in the market for a sedan rather than a SUV. I've pretty much determined (I'd say 98% at this point) that I'm going to wind up getting a new Mazda 6, based on the fact that I drove it and all the other mid-sized sedans in its price range and the Mazda driving experience blew all the other cars out of the water.

The only other consumer car that's close is the Accord. Maybe a charger if you want to deal with dodge.

The Cherokee that killed Anton was because of the ****ing stupid shifter design. I drove a 300 with that shifted and it doesn't provide enough feedback to inform you that you've changed gears.

The Accord was my second choice, the Hyundai Sonata my 3rd.  Anyway, the deal is done.  Feast your eyes:

vHDurbz.jpg

Z3qMFCw.jpg

54UUBC0.jpg

2TdmUHj.jpg

It drives even better than it looks.  Mazdas are always sports cars at heart (in this case this refers to the handling and transmission), even when they're family sedans.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That's my next car.

I guarantee you won't regret it.  

As an aside, it's amazing what a blue collar mid-sized sedan comes standard with these days.  10 years ago you'd have to buy a $50,000+ luxury car to get the features that come standard on the base model of most mid-sized sedans.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Congrats on the new wheels Keyrock! :thumbsup: What year? how many miles?

2017.  It had 4 miles on it when I drove it off the lot.

In less than 2 weeks I'm going to take a Friday off from work and take it on a road trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway and through the Skyline Drive.  The Blue Ridge follows the Appalachian Mountains up from The Great Smoky Mountains on the border of North Carolina and Tennessee to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia.  Over 450 miles of beautiful scenic road, including some nice twisty mountain roads that my Mazda is craving.  I'm getting wood just thinking about it.  Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yeah, I was looking at the used compared to new, and there isn't much reason to buy used.  The new Mazda's have a bunch of incentives and low interest rates, and the used ones have barely depreciated in value.  It only saves you about 10-15%, which isn't ideal.  

As a comparison, I looked at the Audi, and loses about 40% of the value when you drive it off the lot.

So, life happened and I got in a bad wreck that is considered my fault. But the big piece is that my Acura rsx that I loved is gonna be totaled out. And I still owe a lot on it...

So I am gonna need a new car. Just don't know how the bloody hell I am gonna pay for it

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So, life happened and I got in a bad wreck that is considered my fault. But the big piece is that my Acura rsx that I loved is gonna be totaled out. And I still owe a lot on it...

So I am gonna need a new car. Just don't know how the bloody hell I am gonna pay for it

I feel you

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That's rough, man.  Hopefully you, and anyone that may have been with you, is unharmed.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 2 weeks later...

the new f-150 raptor became available recent

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a30980/2017-ford-raptor-horsepower-torque-performance/

in case chill wants a 4x4 vehicle which will start conversations with his perplexed and/or scornful european friends.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Pros; Rare that US cars produce more than 1Hp per litre, so nice.

They've lightened the car by 250-ish kgs, nicely done.

Con's; 1.6L per 100kms? And they can actually call that "ecoboost"? XD

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

the only japanese entries in the full-size pickup category has virtual the same mpg.

the f-150 raptor is a pickup.  

the f-150 is a big ol' 4x4 pickup.

"Regardless, Raptor buyers aren’t purchasing on economy figures. No matter what well-argued rationale they might offer, they’re fundamentally concerned with how well the thing handles sweet jumps." --car & driver

big dogs gotta eat.

even so, the reason Gromnir drove a ford ranger as 'posed to an f-150 for so many years is 'cause the big trucks is gas hogs and we weren't all too concerned with handling on "sweet jumps."

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think you misunderstood me on the mpg part, I was more referring to the "EcoBoost" part, the name is silly in that it implies something it relaly is'nt =)

I don't doubt the japs are as thirsty, one bit. The car probably weighs near two tonnes...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I think you misunderstood me on the mpg part, I was more referring to the "EcoBoost" part, the name is silly in that it implies something it relaly is'nt =)

I don't doubt the japs are as thirsty, one bit. The car probably weighs near two tonnes...

may be hard for you to believe, but the 2017 f-150 raptor mpg is an improvement from previous models, thus there is indeed an ecoboost... from a relative perspective.  smaller and more efficient engine with more power.  but again, ford is actual not selling ecoboost save in the most tangential way.

oh, and weight is 5600-5800 lbs, so almost 3 tons.

HA! Good Fun!

True, but that's semantics, it's nowhere economical XD There is indeed, boost though. I cannot deny that!

3 tonnes! If I load that full of people and a handfull of baggage, I would need a truck drivers licence!

I'll stick to my trusty Volvo, it's light and nimble with it's 1.6 tonnes. It's so more economical with it's 25mpg :p

• 5 months later...

So I told myself: ''Eff it, you live only once''

I am going home with this baby today:

• Like 4

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

• 3 weeks later...

@Chilloutman - Sorry for late reply.  Congratulations.  I hope the SUV gives you many years of joy.

thanks dude, I really hopes so, if something breaks on that baby I am going to be broke xD

@Chilloutman - Sorry for late reply.  Congratulations.  I hope the SUV gives you many years of joy.

thanks dude, I really hopes so, if something breaks on that baby I am going to be broke xD

I have the opposite problem.  I am always broke because of the payments I have to make on my brand new Mazda 6, but if anything breaks I can bring it to the dealership and say "fix it for me".  :lol:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I don't think I've ever actually seen one of those irl, especially the V8 version.

I've seen plenty of Volvos with V8's that was never built with a V8 though :p

I don't think I've ever actually seen one of those irl, especially the V8 version.

I've seen plenty of Volvos with V8's that was never built with a V8 though :p

You mean that you seen V8 tag on them without V8 engine in it?

No, more like

7568991250_91cb540d1e_b.jpg

Car modification is huge here, and people take it seriously. Doing an engine swap on a standard volvo is almost a rite of passage, though BMW inline 6's are most common, V8 swaps are not rare at all. They usually get a junker and do it in instead.

Not quite my style though, I prefer sleeper cars and the V8 rumble is a dead giveaway. I prefer inline 4's with turbos instead, people don't think much about the sound or they look at the huge exhaust and go "Huh, he likes to sound badass".

Yeah I have seen plenty of mods up there. You guys are really into cars - be it old timers or mods