Bad News

If they are to add the game to KotOR2 they should add alternetive starting player. If they fixed so the game actualy followed laws of chance it might actualy be interesting to play. As it was in KotOR I only played it to gain the added credits (and it was not fun).

The player won't be forced to always go first anymore.

Laws of chance though? Contrary to what many may think, the computer isn't coded to cheat. It may be given a way better side deck than you, but once the game starts, it follows the same rules you do. I had to read the code to convince myself, because it sure seemed like it came up with Just The Right Card way too often. :blink: But it really is just running off an AI working within the same rules as the player.

-Akari

Hey, as long as I don't have to play it, or at least very often, I won't care.

I'm not going to play any more pazak than the game commands.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I am adicted to that card game ... just because some *cough*xbox users*cough* dont like it *cough*because it requires stategy*cough* does not mean its a bad mini game.

Somebody sure likes their broad stroke statements. :blink:

I forgot we XBox users are an inferior life form. Funny thing is I loved Pazak too.

Cheers!

Laws of chance though? Contrary to what many may think, the computer isn't coded to cheat. It may be given a way better side deck than you, but once the game starts, it follows the same rules you do. I had to read the code to convince myself, because it sure seemed like it came up with Just The Right Card way too often. :blink: But it really is just running off an AI working within the same rules as the player.

-Akari

:blink:

Wow, would never have believed it if it didn't come from someone who glanced at the code. The AI comes up with 'just the right card', as you say, so often that I just took it for granted that it was cheating....and thus cheated in return, reloading the game whenever I lost. :)

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

It may be given a way better side deck than you

but isn't that the same thing as cheating? who'd want to play black jack if the dealer had his own deck with better cards in it...

Lois: Honey, what do you say we uh...christen these new sheets, huh?

Peter: Why Lois Griffin, you naughty girl.

Lois: Hehehe...that's me.

Peter: You dirty hustler.

Lois: Hehehehe...

Peter: You filthy, stinky prostitute.

Lois: Aha, ok I get it...

Peter: You foul, venereal disease carrying, street walking whore.

Lois: Alright, that's enough!

Laws of chance though?  Contrary to what many may think, the computer isn't coded to cheat.  It may be given a way better side deck than you, but once the game starts, it follows the same rules you do.  I had to read the code to convince myself, because it sure seemed like it came up with Just The Right Card way too often.  :blink: But it really is just running off an AI working within the same rules as the player.

-Akari

Oh it's not just me then :D

There should be a little helping hand for the luckless people...I mean you looking at a man who once rolled 17 ones in row off a D20 on IWD. That run would have been longer except for the two on the 18th roll. :blink:

Pazaak being in isn't bad news. What would be bad news would be that there's more required swoop racing and gun turret shooting.

The only failing of Pazaak has been well pointed out in this thread - there was little point to it and the player always had to go first.

I agree it's surprising the AI didn't cheat with the game. It always seemed to do so well. But perhaps all the AI players just have fantastic decks..

newlogo.gif

I agree with somet that Pazaak was fun, but there's just not enough money to be won to justify wasting time on it. Now, if there was some sort of pazaak tournament on any given planet where you could play your way up the ranks and win a big jack pot...it could be an interesting sidequest...especially if you involve a little espionage, blackmail, and sabotage. :blink:

you know what, sounds fun

sounds great- big tournament with 50.000 credits for the 1st place. or play sabbacc and gamble for a certain starship

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

That isn't news. It's been known basically since the game was announced and even before hand. Secondly, it isn't lame. It's the best and definitely the mini game with the most fun. It had exactly one weakness. Hopefully, they'll fix it.

^^ agreed.

It may be given a way better side deck than you

but isn't that the same thing as cheating? who'd want to play black jack if the dealer had his own deck with better cards in it...

It's not exactly the same thing. The side decks are a personal item, something that the player and his/her opponent have put together before coming into the game. When I say side deck, I'm referring to the 10 cards that you pick from which your actual 'hand' of cards is drawn when the match starts.

The computer opponents have side decks assigned to them depending on how 'good' they're supposed to be. Never is your side deck checked to make sure that it builds a better one to beat you. It just might have a better one because it was intended to be a tougher opponent. Once the game starts, both you and the computer get your hands randomly drawn from your side decks. The computer doens't get to manually pick its hand just like you don't.

The cards drawn at the start of each player's turn come from a common deck that isn't biased for or against either player.

The reason that the computer might've seemed hard to some is because the player always has to go first, and that's actually a pretty significant disadvantage. That won't be the case in KotOR2.

-Akari

The reason that the computer might've seemed hard to some is because the player always has to go first, and that's actually a pretty significant disadvantage. That won't be the case in KotOR2.

YES :D

Wow thx Akari for clearing that one up. I myself had come to the conclusion that the computer cheated, now I've reconsidered :blink: I think its good to have it back in KOTOR2, continuity is a good thing... I mean is it 5 years after KOTOR1? I'm sure Blackjack still exists from 5 years ago? Damn, I'm right... :blink:

Pazaak is pretty good as a game against friends you know, somebody on the Bioware forum created a Pazaak online thing, pretty good...

Never is your side deck checked to make sure that it builds a better one to beat you. It just might have a better one because it was intended to be a tougher opponent.

fair enough

Lois: Honey, what do you say we uh...christen these new sheets, huh?

Peter: Why Lois Griffin, you naughty girl.

Lois: Hehehe...that's me.

Peter: You dirty hustler.

Lois: Hehehehe...

Peter: You filthy, stinky prostitute.

Lois: Aha, ok I get it...

Peter: You foul, venereal disease carrying, street walking whore.

Lois: Alright, that's enough!

Pazaak was a very fun diversion from the actual game, and platforms shouldn't be an issue, since i own both versions.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The worst mini game in my opinion was the turret gun. I don't know if anyone noticed but the Ebon Hawk was never in danger during those missions...you couldnt lose. I remember one time I was traveling between worlds...got up went to the bathroom...took a shower...and came back like 15 minutes later to find my I was under attack for like 15 minutes...So while getting dressed I blindly tapped A a few times and blew up all the Sith attack ships. The Pazak wasnt really annoying...except it served no real purpose. Sure you won credits...but...what can you really buy with credits...I don't know about anyone else but the only real items I tried to get in the game were new light saber crystals...which you couldnt really buy in the shops. I didn't really buy anything from the shops because I already had like a billion other items I didn't really know what to do with. I remember one time I looked at my inventory to find I had like 17 blasters, 20 some land mines...and a million other pieces of crap that I would never use. Once I got a lightsaber and put a Jedi robe on...I really didnt equip much else...except new crystals...and maybe gautlets.

One can wonder how the devs will make the "turret gun" mini-game optional. Will there be an option before you launch the Ebon Hawk that says:

- "Do you wish to be attacked by Sith forces while traveling to planet 'x'?"

- "Yes"

- "No"

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

the funny thing about the turret game is, if you just started firing rapidly as soon as it kicked in, you could kill most of the fighters in the first 2 seconds.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

That's what made it annoying and not interesting.

If you played it once, you played it for all it was worth.

I used to play a lot of Magic the Gathering. I've even won a sanctioned tournament and all. I don't think Pazaak requires the same amount of strategic thinking, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm an xbox and a PC player, by the way.

As far as card games go, it's not terrible. *shrug* As far as CRPGs go, it's not really the same thing. I hate being forced to play cross genre mini games. I don't hate all mini games. I just want the choice as to whether or not I play them. Answering that I have the choice about whether I play the game in the first place or not is not satisfying and I think most companies understand that.

For instance, that mini game in Jade Empire is total comedy. It's like Galaga to a T. ...But you have the option of playing it or not.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

You need to include an option to use the force to cheat at Pazaak. :p

"that is not the card you are looking for"

"that is not the card i am looking for"

"another card is not necessary"

"i don't need another card"

"move along"

"wha-? oh- it's your turn."

(big grin on a jedi's face)

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

One can wonder how the devs will make the "turret gun" mini-game optional. Will there be an option before you launch the Ebon Hawk that says:

- "Do you wish to be attacked by Sith forces while traveling to planet 'x'?"

- "Yes"

- "No"

I read somewhere that if you do not shoot down the fighters, the Ebon hawk would be boarded and you'd have to fight off the boarding party.

So I image that the Sith (or whoever it might be intercepting you) would radio you and ask what you wish.

"Lower shields and submit to arrest or we will be forced to open fire"

[Take your chances at the turret]

[submit for now and fight them off when they board the Ebon Hawk]

[Force Persuade: You do not want to arrest us. In fact, your favourite Holonet show is on right now, and you misprogrammed your VCR.]

"You have offended my family, and you have offended the Shaolin temple." Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon