The US Election 2016, Part VI

Pidesco

Enoch, the LP, like the other parties, is not monolithic. Clinton is not championing every position of the democrats. Trump isn't even championing half of the Republican positions. And yes among Baby Boomers and even Gen X'ers the LP message is a harder sell because they remember when it was the "Drugs, Drugs, Drugs and ban the Government NOW" party. The Harry Browne wing of the LP (the big "L" libertarians) is going the way of the "neo-cons". The "little L's" are in charge now. Johnson beat out John McAfee twice for the nomination, neither time was it close. And McAfee has a lot of "Large L " cred. The ultimate aim of the LP is still and always will be less government and personal liberty. And those two go very much hand in hand. But the idea now is small cuts with a scalpel rather than big hacks with a broadsword. I really believe the message has legs it just needs to be let out. Especially in an age when the government IS becoming heavy handed and intrusive.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Tbh I'm not thinking Johnson's flub of Aleppo, for 2 reasons. One, I didn't even know about Aleppo or what was going down (not a good professional reason I agree and Two, it seems like a really small flub compared to Hillary's "flub" of not knowing C in an email means confidential.

Tbh I'm not thinking Johnson's flub of Aleppo, for 2 reasons. One, I didn't even know about Aleppo or what was going down (not a good professional reason I agree and Two, it seems like a really small flub compared to Hillary's "flub" of not knowing C in an email means confidential.

Except that Hillary didn't flub the meaning. She lied about it.  Clearly Johnson flubbed it.  Johnson can turn this to his advantage, not only for name recognition, but because he's taking the outcome on his feet.  No long complicated explanations and no defensive excuses.  Serves him well.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

You hear that you racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, islamophobic cretins? Your leader hates you and you have to repent.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You hear that you racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, islamophobic cretins? Your leader hates you and you have to repent.

Why do you doubt some of Trumps supporters are bigots...they are, trust me

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It doesn't matter if they hate everything from eskimos to the color of your shoes. None of that does. It's attacking the voters of another candidate, it's about as low as you can get as politician and leader.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It doesn't matter if they hate everything from eskimos to the color of your shoes. None of that does. It's attacking the voters of another candidate, it's about as low as you can get as politician and leader.

Trump started that ball rolling.....its now become a normal strategy 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Started what? Where did Trump attack Hillary's voters?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Assuming motives and values is the very heart of bigotry.  That's the definition of prejudice.  Saying that people who support Trump are likely bigots because of his rhetoric is akin to saying that people who support Clinton are morally bankrupt because they know she's corrupt but she's the person they want in office.  Could blame it on Trump, but this is nothing new in American politics.  Nothing new in politics altogether.  These two people, Hillary and The Donald, make the Policemen of Penzance look the consummate professionals.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

Come on dude....lets be honest

Tump villied 11 million Latinos as part of his official strategy, lets not even attempt to suggest Trump hasn't been offensive 

John Milton 

Assuming motives and values is the very heart of bigotry.  That's the definition of prejudice.  Saying that people who support Trump are likely bigots because of his rhetoric is akin to saying that people who support Clinton are morally bankrupt because they know she's corrupt but she's the person they want in office.  Could blame it on Trump, but this is nothing new in American politics.  Nothing new in politics altogether.  These two people, Hillary and The Donald, make the Policemen of Penzance look the consummate professionals.

Oh no I'm fine saying " some of Trumps supporters are bigots "...surly we dont need to dispute this?

You can say what you want about Hilary Clinton's supporters? Its not going to change her support base really :biggrin:  This election and the whole " Trump rise to  power " reality is unprecedented in US politics. I am surprised you think this is normal?

John Milton 

Come on dude....lets be honest

Tump villied 11 million Latinos as part of his official strategy, lets not even attempt to suggest Trump hasn't been offensive 

lol, so nothing. Didn't you see how he likes his Taco bowl and how he likes to employ them? No? pffft.

Just keep on partying like people partied when Romney mentioned those horrible 47% who would vote for Obama.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Seems like an odd election from where I'm sitting, but who am I to say?  The Americans have a choice and they'll make it.  Whatever reason, solid, mistaken, or just plain crazy, will have to suffice for their lot.

It is odd because  I never realised how many people are so unhappy with Obama, I like Obama and I support most of his global policies and some of the domestic ones like the Gay Marriage Law 

Anyway this election is very exciting...cant wait to the actual election date 

John Milton 

Attacking another's candidates base support is basic strategy in politics. Which is something that also Trump does. It is strategy that aims to associate people that general public or certain demographic don't like with other candidate, so that they will have higher threshold to vote that other candidate, which makes it easier to lure them to vote yourself. It isn't nice strategy, but politics and politicians rarely are nice.

• Like 2

No, it isn't unprecedented. He have had a few candidates with no experience and no love for their fellow man run and even win. Aaron Burr, George Wallace, John Tyler (who actually became President when William Henry Harrison died), and William Randolph Hearst were all bombastic and crude in ways to make you think Trump isn't so bad. There have been many with no prior political experience like Andrew Jackson, Woodrow Wilson, Zachary Taylor, Ulysses Grant, Dwight Eisenhower all won. They were all Army Generals (except Wilson) before running for office.  Ross Perot, Wendell Wilkie, Horace Greely, Winfield Han****, Winfield Scott all lost.

There are others but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. We've had Presidents who were not good people too. John Adams and his son, Richard Nixon, Warren Harding, and Lyndon Johnson were all reputed to be men you would look you in the eye, tell you to go f--k yourself then help you do it. 

Trump is hardly unprecedented. We've had a whole gallery of rogues, scoundrels, and pretenders along the way. 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

No, it isn't unprecedented. He have had a few candidates with no experience and no love for their fellow man run and even win. Aaron Burr, George Wallace, John Tyler (who actually became President when William Henry Harrison died), and William Randolph Hearst were all bombastic and crude in ways to make you think Trump isn't so bad. There have been many with no prior political experience like Andrew Jackson, Woodrow Wilson, Zachary Taylor, Ulysses Grant, Dwight Eisenhower all won. They were all Army Generals (except Wilson) before running for office.  Ross Perot, Wendell Wilkie, Horace Greely, Winfield Han****, Winfield Scott all lost.

There are others but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. We've had Presidents who were not good people too. John Adams and his son, Richard Nixon, Warren Harding, and Lyndon Johnson were all reputed to be men you would look you in the eye, tell you to go f--k yourself then help you do it. 

Trump is hardly unprecedented. We've had a whole gallery of rogues, scoundrels, and pretenders along the way. 

No you misunderstand me, I dont mean Trump is so bad and malicious it is unprecedented...as I mentioned numerous times most of the offensive things Trump has said are strategic and all about a political objective ...he miscalculated the impact of some of his comments but thats just hubris 

I mean the way Trump has won the  Republican  nomination and the strategy he has employed has been so effective because of the exciting political period the USA is going through

Its the overall political campaigns that are unprecedented 

John Milton 

I actually think Nixon is a better person than the majority of our politicians today, based on two facts.  In 1960 the election was extremely close between him and JFK, and he could have challenged the outcome, there was plenty of whispers of fraud that might have turned the tide.  He chose not to, he didn't want to come across like a sore loser.  Then, after Watergate, he chose to resign.  I can't even imagine a politician doing that today.  Those both struck me as kind of honor among thieves moments.

I actually think Nixon is a better person than the majority of our politicians today, based on two facts.  In 1960 the election was extremely close between him and JFK, and he could have challenged the outcome, there was plenty of whispers of fraud that might have turned the tide.  He chose not to, he didn't want to come across like a sore loser.  Then, after Watergate, he chose to resign.  I can't even imagine a politician doing that today.  Those both struck me as kind of honor among thieves moments.

He also had his "enemies lists" and a reputation for being verbally abusive of family and staff. Of course low character and high character can certainly co-exist. No one is so bad they don't have some redeeming qualities or so good they have no flaws. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

He also had his "enemies lists" and a reputation for being verbally abusive of family and staff. Of course low character and high character can certainly co-exist. No one is so bad they don't have some redeeming qualities or so good they have no flaws. 

Still, I'd take a person which is verbally abusive over one who is corrupt and won't resign any day.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Bit rich when you consider how Trump behaves like a low level forum troll. Certainly are a lot of trash backing Trump watching his rallies, but not sure of the percentage

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bit rich when you consider how Trump behaves like a low level forum troll. Certainly are a lot of trash backing Trump watching his rallies, but not sure of the percentage

I'm surprised people seem to think " Trump hasn't really offended anyone " 

John Milton 

Still, I'd take a person which is verbally abusive over one who is corrupt and won't resign any day.

Are you referring to Hilary when you say  " who is corrupt and won't resign any day.  " 

John Milton 

Are you referring to Hilary when you say  " who is corrupt and won't resign any day.  " 

That Hillary is corrupt (or at the VERY least irredeemably dishonest) is no longer a fact that can be disputed Bruce. I realize you picked you horse here and that's fine. As I posted before being dishonest or even corrupt does not mean she will not make an effective President necessarily. But you should be aware of what you are buying with her. 

And her bad qualities do not necessarily make Trump a better option for some folks. It's not for nothing we say elections here are about choosing the lesser evil.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell