The Immortal Thread

Guard Dog

If you are a religious or spiritual person in any way then you probably believe you will one day see your loved ones who have passed away again. You can forget that if you're immortal.

What? Why? If you're of an Abrahamic religion, you believe that God will either return to Earth or end all things in some manner or another anyways. Regardless of your immortality, I think God should win here and he renders judgement unto you as he does all others. If you're Hindu or Buddhist, you'd just be allowed to keep living your one life instead of living out many different ones. I can't think of many specific faiths where you believe you really lose if you're immortal.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

lawd

Glad I stopped watching after two seasons.

To be fair, while there was a lot of silliness in that series it did have some quite good moments. Sloane's arc was really well done for how it went from villain to redemption and back to villain again (and the reasoning behind it all).

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Immortality would remove one of the most necessary components of what makes us human so the better question would be "Why wouldn't you like to be human?".

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Immortality would remove one of the most necessary components of what makes us human so the better question would be "Why wouldn't you like to be human?".

depends on our options. being human is swell and all, but if we could be a telepathic god-puma with opposable thumbs and the ability to transform discarded plastic into end-cut prime rib, we would give serious thought to discarding our humanity.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My first answer was, "So I don't die." But then I realized, all other things die - or at least can die - too, and so your premise is wrong to begin with. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

If you are a religious or spiritual person in any way then you probably believe you will one day see your loved ones who have passed away again. You can forget that if you're immortal.

What? Why? If you're of an Abrahamic religion, you believe that God will either return to Earth or end all things in some manner or another anyways. Regardless of your immortality, I think God should win here and he renders judgement unto you as he does all others. If you're Hindu or Buddhist, you'd just be allowed to keep living your one life instead of living out many different ones. I can't think of many specific faiths where you believe you really lose if you're immortal.

The answer to that is in the Gospel of John, 18:36

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

am suspecting that the verse in question is not about becoming a telepathic god-puma.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am suspecting that the verse in question is not about becoming a telepathic god-puma.

HA! Good Fun!

:lol:  No but I'd like to read that one!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's been at least 20 years since I've read the bible so please forgive me but I'm not following

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

It's been at least 20 years since I've read the bible so please forgive me but I'm not following

"My Kingdom is not of this world". I was answering Barti's assertion that according the some interpretations of Christianity (and the other 2/3 of the big three I believe) the "world" will be remade into the kingdom of heaven at some point. Therefore if you are immortal you'll be around to see it happen. I don't subscribe to that notion myself. I believe that heaven and "the universe" are two separate things that do not conjoin at any point. Staying in one consequently means never entering the other.

Which was what I was saying originally.

Thomas Sowell

Well, I like KP's notion of immortality being a Highlander-esque sword fight playoff. Unless you suck at sword fighting. Then you wouldn't be around long.

My luck though I'd probably slip off a doggone ladder while trimming the trees with a chain saw and cut my own head off. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Well, I like KP's notion of immortality being a Highlander-esque sword fight playoff. Unless you suck at sword fighting. Then you wouldn't be around long.

My luck though I'd probably slip off a doggone ladder while trimming the trees with a chain saw and cut my own head off.

I'll use my SKS to slow them down and chop their heads off when they're wounded so I don't need sword skills. Although I suppose I'd absorb them after a while.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

"Who wouldn't hollow out their humanity to become a transcendent god-monster" is probably an even better question, Gromnir's tongue-in-cheek interpretation aside.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'll use my SKS to slow them down and chop their heads off when they're wounded so I don't need sword skills. Although I suppose I'd absorb them after a while.

:lol:  Following me around on tree-trimming day, waiting for nature to take it's course won't teach you a thing about fluid mechanics, soil chemistry or how to design a wireless network!

Thomas Sowell

:lol:  Following me around on tree-trimming day, waiting for nature to take it's course won't teach you a thing about fluid mechanics, soil chemistry or how to design a wireless network!

Absorbing your lightning will.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

This reminds me of an episode of Highlander where a kid had become immortal, but he had been using people's sympathy for centuries to manipulate people into fighting for him, and then he would kill them when they were vulnerable.

• Like 1

"Who wouldn't hollow out their humanity to become a transcendent god-monster" is probably an even better question, Gromnir's tongue-in-cheek interpretation aside.

That got me thinking a bit.

Lets say for arguments sake that it is achieved. First, we would have to stop reproducing since no one can die, but that's not possible because people like sex and not everyone fancies abortions. It will be diminished to a degree, sure, but not entirely. Then since there is no death or health problems really, and the healthcare industry will fall apart. After that people will not bother to work since they cannot starve to death either so the economy will fall apart too. Classical notions of love will also evaporate because no need for a man to protect his woman with his life and the woman will not have babies. Culture will stagnate as there will be no restlesness to achieve something before you die. Wars and violence in a classical sense will disappear as no one can get hurt or die. People will entertain themselves with their god-powers until there's nothing left to do but explore space and we become intergalactical locusts that do nothing but expand until the end of time, eradicating everything in its path. When everything is discovered and known we become bored again and realize that perhaps we need to come together and create the best entertainment ever known. So all man, all knowledge and all technology come together, conduct what needs to be done and says:

"Let there be light!"

"ok, ok, i got inspired by Asimov, sue me"

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy