The Immortal Thread

Guard Dog

Immortality would remove one of the most necessary components of what makes us human so the better question would be "Why wouldn't you like to be human?".

"Who wouldn't hollow out their humanity to become a transcendent god-monster" is probably an even better question, Gromnir's tongue-in-cheek interpretation aside.

That got me thinking a bit.

Lets say for arguments sake that it is achieved. First, we would have to stop reproducing since no one can die, but that's not possible because people like sex and not everyone fancies abortions.

Faulty assumption number one: nothing says the process can't inherently result in sterility. Or that a bunch of immortals with literally infinite time on their hands who also happen to like sex and dislike abortion can't invent a convenient and reliable form of contraception.

Then since there is no death or health problems really, and the healthcare industry will fall apart.

Bit of a non sequitur really - if the problems an industry is meant to solve no longer exist, the industry in question has little use anymore, yes. Hardly a meaningful loss.

After that people will not bother to work since they cannot starve to death either so the economy will fall apart too.

I'm pretty sure that even millionaires who have more than enough money to ensure they'll never starve to death still do work. I believe the threat of starvation to be an exceedingly poor motivator, all things considered.

Classical notions of love will also evaporate because no need for a man to protect his woman with his life and the woman will not have babies.

...By your notions, no love can exist between same-sex couples. Umm, I'm pretty sure that's not how love works.

Culture will stagnate as there will be no restlesness to achieve something before you die.

People who create "culture" (by which I assume you mean art, entertainment, philosophy) are typically not driven to do so because they care about the achievements they'll leave behind, but because they find the process of creation inherently pleasant.

People will entertain themselves with their god-powers until there's nothing left to do but explore space and we become intergalactical locusts that do nothing but expand until the end of time, eradicating everything in its path.

Or become a bunch of pacifistic Time Lords having adventures in time and space and making everyone's lives measurably better! Who knows?

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Criticism is boring, booo! Entertain us with your own scenario based on your own assumptions instead.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Criticism is boring, booo! Entertain us with your own scenario based on your own assumptions instead.

Given enough time, the inevitable heat death of the universe will cause a bunch of immortals to seriously reconsider the wisdom of their life choices.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."