The Weird, Random, and Interesting things that Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Rosbjerg

You still could risk toxoplasma infection from kittehpoo though;

“However, there is good evidence that Toxoplasma gondii exposure during pregnancy can lead to serious birth defects and other health problems in children.”

So she's still got something to fall back on ;)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Haha!

This isn't aimed at you, but I do feel that is a very common thing in general. ;)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Having a cat doesn't *cause* you to have mental illness. Having a cat *proves* you have mental illness. :D

P.S. I don't hate cats but the distinction was Begging to be made.

• Like 5

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I can't refute that claim in any way, since I at one point had 20+ cats at once. =D

Feeding time was like the greeting scene from Ace Ventura; Pet Detective...

Architect turns old Cement Factory into Unique Home

When Ricardo Bofill stumbled upon a dilapidated cement factory in 1973, he immediately saw a world of possibilities. La fábrica was born, and almost 45 years later, the structure has been completely transformed into a spectacular and unique home.

The factory, located just outside of Barcelona, was a WWI-era pollution machine that had closed down, and came with many repairs to be done when Ricardo Bofill and his team purchased it. After years of partial deconstruction, the determined architect proceeded to lace the exterior of the property with vegetation, and furnish the interior as a modern living and work space.

La fábrica is a work in progress to this day, to which Bofill likens his own life, as his visions for the future continue to change shape. The industrial chimneys that once filled the air with smoke now overflow with lush greenery, a fine example of the beautiful transformations that result from creative thinking.

cement-factory-renovation-la-fabrica-ric

Plus a whole lot more pictures of the interior...

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 5

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Architect turns old Cement Factory into Unique Home

When Ricardo Bofill stumbled upon a dilapidated cement factory in 1973, he immediately saw a world of possibilities. La fábrica was born, and almost 45 years later, the structure has been completely transformed into a spectacular and unique home.

The factory, located just outside of Barcelona, was a WWI-era pollution machine that had closed down, and came with many repairs to be done when Ricardo Bofill and his team purchased it. After years of partial deconstruction, the determined architect proceeded to lace the exterior of the property with vegetation, and furnish the interior as a modern living and work space.

La fábrica is a work in progress to this day, to which Bofill likens his own life, as his visions for the future continue to change shape. The industrial chimneys that once filled the air with smoke now overflow with lush greenery, a fine example of the beautiful transformations that result from creative thinking.

Plus a whole lot more pictures of the interior...

That is fantastic!

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Yet another example of a good time ruined by pansy little snowflake SJWs: http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/03/02/stormtrooper-costume-nixed-for-ivy-league-schools-star-wars-themed-class-reunion-because-nazis/

The gist of it is Princeton, class of '12 wanted to have a Star Wars themed class reunion. Well, some of the poor little darlings objected because the Storm Troopers were reminiscent of the Nazis (actual Nazis, you know... Germany 1930's & '40's not the made up kind like anyone the left currently dislikes). So the reunion committee actually felt the need to apologize of this whole thing and another party has had all the fun stomped out of it.

But this like is just priceless: While the “clone army of the Republic was made up of soldiers created for the sole purpose of service,” Lucasfilm’s Pablo Hidalgo said “stormtroopers are men and women like you and me. They volunteer.” The movie site added that the Empire finds “better uniformity in fervent patriots who volunteer for service.”

That may be so but I think it's fair to say marksmanship suffered from that decision.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Any excuse for a party

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's funny, the Storm Trooper discussion made me want to post an article I read a while back, but I couldn't find it with any search terms I tried. Then the next day I see another one of them. Turns out this guy writes a bunch of them. https://angrystaffofficer.com/2015/12/14/a-day-in-the-life-of-an-imperial-staff-officer/

• Like 2

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

New York Times is going to start running its' reporter's tweets inside the paper

Some of the New York Times’ best stuff doesn’t appear in the New York Times. It’s on Twitter, via posts from New York Times reporters.

Now the New York Times is doing something about that. Not by clamping down on its reporters’ tweets, but by bringing those tweets into the New York Times.

The catch: For now, at least, if you want to read New York Times reporters’ tweets in the New York Times, you won’t find them on the Times’ web site or app. They’ll be in the paper’s print edition.

The Times has redesigned the second and third pages of its print edition to resemble what used to be called a magazine’s “front of the book”, back when magazines still existed.*

That means lots of little appetizery nuggets, and some of those will be things like White House reporter Maggie Haberman’s tweet storms, NYT editor Jake Silverstein tells Nieman Lab’s Laura Hazard Owen.**

This morning, for instance, Haberman dashed off a brief three-tweeter that certainly would be useful for Times readers to consume, riffing on the latest bizzaro tweets from Donald Trump, who is President of the United States.

And, yes, at some point the Times imagines it will take the stuff that it’s importing from Twitter into the newspaper, and move it online, where the rest of the world can see it.

*Take me seriously not literally. It’s 2017.

**Who knows? Maybe there is a tweetstorm in today’s print edition! I literally can’t remember the last time I’ve read an NYT print edition.***

***Literally.

Also, for the feminist question (and keeping it out of the politics in general) for the amusing viewpoint from Emma Watson on the fuss about her Vanity Fair photoshoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7OvCcxVlFo

• Like 2

Kind of an interesting response to Dr. Seuss Day at school: http://blog.angryasianman.com/2017/03/these-kids-made-flyers-to-protest-dr.html?m=1

One of the reasons I prefer teaching 7th graders, really. I can have an open and honest discussion with them regarding topics like this. It gets a little trickier in the younger grades.

Emotional PSA 'The One That Got Away' Raises Awareness About Abusive Relationships

Three men are asked to talk about "the one that got away." As they start talking about the woman that instantly comes to mind, their words seem sweet, maybe even romantic. 

"I miss her smile, I miss her friendship," one man says. 

"I think love is a good thing, and something you should pursue. Whole-heartedly and passionately," another man remarks. 

But quickly, viewers realize what they're saying shows possessiveness, abusive, and controlling behavior. 

"I'd call and call and call and call and call and call," one man says. 

"You know, she's my girl. She's not going to be with anyone else," another says firmly.    

The video is a PSA from for Interval House, the first shelter for abused women and children in Canada, created by the Canadian ad agency Union. While the men in the video are actors, abusive relationships are a reality for women and men around the world. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zotgAomjJFM&feature=youtu.be

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39172314

Well...that might work. At least will keep these idiots from injuring innocent people.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra