US Elections 2016

Gorth

How's this related to the election

It isn't, Bruce derailed the thread and people bit.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Actually it is relevant  because its about the social reality that exists in parts of the USA and currently much of the politics is framed around social issues 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I think it's also important to point out that none of this stuff is new.  I keep hearing the term identity politics as if it is some new plague.  It is not.

Not even close to being new. And it will never go away because there are more than a few politicians and pundits who depend on it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think it's also important to point out that none of this stuff is new.  I keep hearing the term identity politics as if it is some new plague.  It is not.

Not even close to being new. And it will never go away because there are more than a few politicians and pundits who depend on it.

You misspelled "a lot of people feel the issue is relevant to and resonates with the reality of their daily lives"   :lol:

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

You misspelled "a lot of people feel the issue is relevant to and resonates with the reality of their daily lives"   :lol:

Unfortunately I believe too many of them only think that because they are told it is, not because their experiences show them it is.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Kropotkin, 's dat you

I though u was dead man

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Unfortunately I believe too many of them only think that because they are told it is, not because their experiences show them it is.

I don't know, if people were easy to influence, wouldn't you expect to see more libertarians around?

(Not a dig against libertarians. More like... one would expect people to naturally gravitate towards what works best for them. You assume that being a libertarian is what results in the best quality of life for most people, therefore convincing people that being a libertarian is good for them should be easier than convincing them of being something else. Thus, if people were easy to convince, you'd expect them to convert to libertarianism in greater numbers and libertarians to retain more adherents than other philosophies.)

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Kropotkin, 's dat you

I though u was dead man

I've been resurrected to continue my conquest of bread.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I don't know, if people were easy to influence, wouldn't you expect to see more libertarians around?

(Not a dig against libertarians. More like... one would expect people to naturally gravitate towards what works best for them. You assume that being a libertarian is what results in the best quality of life for most people, therefore convincing people that being a libertarian is good for them should be easier than convincing them of being something else. Thus, if people were easy to convince, you'd expect them to convert to libertarianism in greater numbers and libertarians to retain more adherents than other philosophies.)

:lol:  Actually I totally get why libertarians are a rarity. Although I think it should be otherwise it isn't. A discussion for another time I guess.

As far as identity politics goes it plays into one of humanity's baser instinct of "us vs. them". That's why it is so pervasive and people fall so easily into it. Besides, if I could wave a magic wand and make all racism and discrimination disappear the politicians and "leaders" who rely on it (both black, white, & Hispanic) would never acknowledge it was gone. They NEED it to exist and will foment it where it does not occur naturally. It is the source of their power and influence. Most of the folks who participate in the BLM movement have never been the recipient of police brutality or have ever been singled out by the police or anyone else in any way. As terrible and dramatic as these events are it becomes forgotten they are also exceedingly rare and severely punished when the do happen. That means for the most part the whole BLM movement becomes a solution in search of a problem. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

The reason why libertarians (the US version) are not more successful has a lot of reasons.

A) People don't find the idea of not screwing with other people's lives appealing. It's a sad fact that while most people do want to be left alone; they're not very keen on leaving other people alone. Example: Mike the pot-smoker wants people to just leave him be, but he can't approve of gambling and will reject libertarians because they allow gambling. Bob the gambler wants people to leave him be, but he doesn't approve of drugs (except the ones he abuses like alcohol) and will reject libertarians because they'd allow drugs. People just seem to like making each other miserable.

B) Libertarians tend to take up causes that aren't popular. Example: In the 1970's they were advocating for gay rights and that costed them politically. There were no Hillary Clinton types permitted. Libertarians take their beliefs seriously and won't throw decent people under the bus to appease a malevolent mob that desire to screw people over just because they're different. 

C) Tinfoil hat weirdos are too common. Not much more to elaborate here.

D) They're just bad at politics. They're not good at choosing their words carefully, and delivering their message in a way people will relate to. They'd be a lot more successful if they'd talk less about bad government regulation, and more about bad corporate subsidies.

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

As terrible and dramatic as these events are it becomes forgotten they are also exceedingly rare and severely punished when the do happen. 

Police misconduct is quite common and rarely punished. If I understand BLM correctly they're not just upset about the worst excesses of police/courts; they just use those to galvanize their supporters.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

:lol:  Actually I totally get why libertarians are a rarity. Although I think it should be otherwise it isn't. A discussion for another time I guess.

As far as identity politics goes it plays into one of humanity's baser instinct of "us vs. them". That's why it is so pervasive and people fall so easily into it. Besides, if I could wave a magic wand and make all racism and discrimination disappear the politicians and "leaders" who rely on it (both black, white, & Hispanic) would never acknowledge it was gone. They NEED it to exist and will foment it where it does not occur naturally. It is the source of their power and influence. Most of the folks who participate in the BLM movement have never been the recipient of police brutality or have ever been singled out by the police or anyone else in any way. As terrible and dramatic as these events are it becomes forgotten they are also exceedingly rare and severely punished when the do happen. That means for the most part the whole BLM movement becomes a solution in search of a problem. 

There is nothing wrong with a movement like BLM, after the series of police killings of certain African Americans you can perfectly understand its purpose

For me black lives like all lives matter  but if a person joins and espouses the mantra of what BLM  stands for you can't  now say in a serious  debate where you want to discuss social issues " what is the significance of white lives "  .....its goes against what you stand for which is the significance of black lives

I would not engage with someone like that ...whats the point if thats what they really think? The US is a melting pot of different races and cultures...thats one of the things that makes it great so its doesnt make sense to now attack the core foundation of the USA  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

D) They're just bad at politics. They're not good at choosing their words carefully, and delivering their message in a way people will relate to. They'd be a lot more successful if they'd talk less about bad government regulation, and more about bad corporate subsidies.

They are bad at politics because they are just not another political party or entity, it's because they are men on a mission.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

They are bad at politics because they are just not another political party or entity, it's because they are men on a mission.

It is an odd situation. Most folks seek to use political power to means to achieve an end. But for the libertarians the end is the containment of the means. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

It is an odd situation. Most folks seek to use political power to means to achieve an end. But for the libertarians the end is the containment of the means. 

GD are you considering joining BLM? You should try it for 3 months, I am sure at the end you will feel you have gained some new insight

I did something similar in SA, helped me become a better person. I wont bore you with the detail

John Milton 

Most of the folks who participate in the BLM movement have never been the recipient of police brutality or have ever been singled out by the police or anyone else in any way. As terrible and dramatic as these events are it becomes forgotten they are also exceedingly rare and severely punished when the do happen. That means for the most part the whole BLM movement becomes a solution in search of a problem. 

What strange mirror universe have you come from, and how can I get there? :lol:

• Like 1

"There is nothing wrong with a movement like BLM, after the series of police killings of certain African Americans you can perfectly understand its purpose"

You mean like that case where BLM and theor cohorts cried racism when 3 of the 6 officers involved were black? The police chief was black? The DA was black? Pretty much all the power players except 3 of 6 cops (that is 50% black representation btw in a country that is  maybe 12.5% black) and one of the higher ups was white while everyone else involved was black? yeah, racism.

COME ON.

The problem here isn't racism. The problem is that cops in general have way too much power and abuse it way too often and their defenders will  cover them no matter b/c they are  the 'good guys'.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

GD are you considering joining BLM? You should try it for 3 months,

Um no. I am pretty sure they don't want me and I'm definitely sure I don't want them. I don't enjoy the company of racists who think people who don't look like them should be killed.

Thomas Sowell

Um no. I am pretty sure they don't want me and I'm definitely sure I don't want them. I don't enjoy the company of racists who think people who don't look like them should be killed.

Can I tell you something interesting, I am not familiar with BLM ...that video created a bad first impression but I am assuming not all members would act like that.

If you could join  I guarantee you will find they dont actually dislike white people, there view is based on the fact they think white people dont like them ...so its a  reaction

The experience will be a positive one, thats what happened to me in SA

John Milton 

Can I tell you something interesting, I am not familiar with BLM ...that video created a bad first impression but I am assuming not all members would act like that.

If you could join  I guarantee you will find they dont actually dislike white people, there view is based on the fact they think white people dont like them ...so its a  reaction

The experience will be a positive one, thats what happened to me in SA

Res ipsa loquitur

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

All people are equal, but some are more equal than others.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This election needs a good scandal:

ux1BqpN.jpg

It's the same rag that exposed Edwards a few years back.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Uh-oh, more on El Rato: 

https://twitter.com/stanColtrane/status/713225712853991429

You, naughty, naughty little rat.

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/713286855488221184

Seems like the media was on it on already on super tuesday, but probably held off due to uncertainty with Rubio's campaign.

//EDIT: MOAR, i can't keep up with all the people coming out of the woodwork and confirming the story.

https://twitter.com/Drews_Views/status/713222276875812865

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy