In Need Of Forum Moderators?

Mr. Teatime

Gromnir, I would say that most of the people you argued with on the RPG Codex made better points than yours and those who responded to your posts were people who routinely argue and disagree with each other. Your arguments, as Sammael earlier pointed out, are based on circular logic and nothing more. You would make Descartes proud and probably infuriate Hume as much as he did.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

Someone say they want a moderator? B)

If O is going to pick out a set of moderators from the community, they'd have to see who steps up over the short term. Be warned: trying to seem overly clever and/or talking in the third person or using the Royal We may result in bricks being tossed your way.

Please, Ex. Half the time, RPGCodex's "arguments" against Grom was that they couldn't udnerstand his posting style. Yeah, those are superior points and surely showed him. Ha.

Ewn, as for me being mod, as I stated earlier, our fellow posters would all abandoned ship if I was made mod. They don't like it when people do the mod job fairly and by the rules and with no mercy.

As Sammael put it; they'd all be cryin'," What horror!"

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Please, Ex. Half the time, RPGCodex's "arguments" against Grom was that they couldn't udnerstand his posting style. Yeah, those are superior points and surely showed him. Ha.

Ewn, as for me being mod, as I stated earlier, our fellow posters would all abandoned ship if I was made mod. They don't like it when people do the mod job fairly and by the rules and with no mercy.

I like my mods to have a bit of personality. It's fine when they do the job, but nazi mods you can't reason with while cracking bad jokes all the time suck. I imagine you'd be that kind of mod.

>*

"They don't like it when people do the mod job fairly and by the rules and with no mercy."

I doubt you're a skinhead either, but sometimes being a mod just makes people into **** who just use there mod powas against people they don't like. I also didn't like many of the mods on the old Interplay forums for this reason, but it was mostly the other way around.

Cheers mate.

>*

Cheers... btw, Youa re wtwisting my words though. I just meant I would check any "biases" I may ahve at the door. I would enforce rules one way or the other whether you are a "friend" or an "enemy" even though I maintain I have neither on the boards.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

sometimes being a mod just makes people into **** who just use there mod powas against people they don't like. I also didn't like many of the mods on the old Interplay forums for this reason, but it was mostly the other way around.

It's true that power can corrupt, and some mods can abuse their power. It's usually why businesses only pick up those volunteers they see as mature enough to avoid such childishness.

On the otherhand, I've often come into contact with forum members that believe, as soon as they are targetted for any sort of misconduct, that the mods are "out to get them" and that the mods are "abusing their powers" as a result.

There is truth to both sides of that issue, and so it all boils down to the perception of the community as a whole on whether a particular moderator is doing a good job or not.

As for the comment about the Interplay forums, I was both a forum member and a moderator for the old Interplay boards and I don't recall any particular abuses in my realm of influence, at least. Perhaps your experience was not the same as mine? Which shows, of course, the sort of diverse attitudes that can crop up when dealing with the anonymity of the net.

The main thing annoying for me on the Interplay forums were double-standards. Fallout fans were judged and usually warned for not doing much while annoying flame-baiters managed to keep messing about.

Perhaps the mods were fair, though I thought they usually flexed there muscles when losing arguments or just overly long discussions.

Shrugga. Who knows eh?

>*

If, there are usermods, they will need to have Guildmaster/some other official d00d keeping them under constant eye.

That's a big part of it. Mods can often only be as good as the company for whom they are modding. If the company doesn't give the moderators a clear agenda and fails to keep the moderators up to date, informed and such, the mods then don't have the proper guidelines with which to moderate.

The best mods are ones who don't see the job as a big status symbol, because it's not. Moderators should just keep things relatively orderly and on a more or less even keel.

newlogo.gif

Oh, and before anyone gets the idea in their head that I'm popping for a job as a mod here...sorry to dash your hopes. I don't think it a good idea for any moderator currently modding another company's forums or working for a related industry (either commercial or not) to put themselves in the position of a conflict of interest. It's the reason why I resigned from the Interplay forums when I joined BioWare's back in 2001. Interplay, at least, had NDAs to control their information. BioWare just trusts us. :huh:

i still want to see it

it's always good watching people suffering

Please, oh mighty Obsidian board makers, do NOT make anyone stupid enough to post in this horrible, horrible thread a moderator for this fine board!

Amen.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Please, oh mighty Obsidian board makers, do NOT make anyone stupid enough to post in this horrible, horrible thread a moderator for this fine board!

Amen.

Especially you.

Exitium

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

Are you saying that you don't argue throughout this board, Volourn? Nobody likes a hypocrite.

Exitium