SW: The Old Republic - Episode VIII (May RNG Be With You)

Blarghagh

For someone who used to profess undying hatred of MMO's and openly express contempt for swotor, I sure has been playing It (and paying it) for a long time :blush:

still got our hatred o' mmos in general, and the mmo ilk who make mmos such a comical bad experience. we keep trying random mmos which claim to be different/better, but have not been caught unawares by a shinning example o' the genre. swtor is a game we can largely enjoy solo, so in spite o' our general loathing o' such fare, we continue.  the swtor pvp has balance issues as does most mmos not dedicated solely to pvp. some o' the fps is ok, but repetition kills all love for those.  swtor pug operations ain't worth our time and we will not join a guild again.  *shrug* swtor is not a great pc rpg, but is so few pc rpgs always available and being updated... regardless o' the fact it is an mmo.  as soon as a new poe or torment gets released, we drop swtor for months as earlier noted. swtor gets considerable gameplay hours, but only when nothing else is available to us.  maybe not contempt, but hardly a ringing endorsement.

even so, we has, in spirit o' fairplay, experimented with any number o' mmos. if there is a better mousetrap out there, we ain't seen it.  swtor is a typical mmo, for better and for worse... but it does also have limited value as a pc rpg.

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm still looking for an MMO that is better than Lord of the Rings Online.  But really, what I'm looking for in a good MMO is a world that I really feel compelled to explore and live in.  I have moments of that with a lot of different MMO's, but usually it is fleeting.

• Like 1

Finally. Almost. Done.

Finished Directive 7 since that has a solo mode and after waiting around in the queue for a while and not getting a pop for Red Reaper I just ran it by myself. Was surprised how easy it ended up being but some extra damage would have made the bosses go down quicker. The nice thing about the Sent/Mara is the short stealth they have so I was able to bypass 90% of the trash mobs.

Just need to finish KOTFE now and I have like 4 chapters left

Free games updated 3/4/21

Done with DvL

Need a break from the game until KOTET drops

Realized I'm still missing a bunch of datacrons but I value my sanity too much to pursue that since they are the more difficult ones

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Finally catching up a bit on ye olde achievement list. Did hm tfb and hm snv the last couple of days and hm df and hm dp planned for this weekend. Always wanted to do those at least once.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Finally catching up a bit on ye olde achievement list. Did hm tfb and hm snv the last couple of days and hm df and hm dp planned for this weekend. Always wanted to do those at least once.

Of course I had to come down with something and only got hm df done on the weekend. I had some panadols but their best by date was 2014 and unsurprisingly didn't do bugger all. Ah well, will get hm dp done too.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered something new and interesting in the game: HM Monolith on Ziost is really hard =]

The world boss and the story mode fight was pushovers, people just fooling around and killing him while joking. Hard mode however... a different matter altogether. So much raid wide, unavoidable damage. Yes, all 8 of us had the world boss buff. Going to try again with 3 healers (i.e. 3 healers, 4 dps one of them with taunt and me as tank) and see if that can keep us alive. Better to die to enrage than not even getting to enrage.

That Bite Wound debuff/bleed does hurts like ****. Our poor off tank died several times to the first aoe damage done after just one stack. I still need to practise my positioning of the boss, not being particularly intelligent about where I put myself at the moment to be honest. Third Bite Wound knockback seems to always get me close to a Rift.

• 2 weeks later...
The new gearing process is Biowares way of telling people to "GTFO" and "Transfer to another game" I suppose. Nothing about it looks fun or interesting, rather more like 180 degree the opposite. As for story, lost interest in the Zakuul stuff a long time ago. Only chapter that was any fun so far was the Shroud bonus chapter. Only thing that would vaguely rekindle my interest is if I get to kill Quinn. Then I would finish the expansion on all the alts that started on it just so I could kill him a dozen times. Who cares about romancing Arcann??? People are weird. Give me a romance option for Scorpio instead. Hottest bot in the galaxy ;)

Edit to add: Was it my imagination or are they revisiting the idea of M4-78?

I got to test the first chapter KOTFE and I didn't like it one bit. Running through small corridors, fighting trash, and watching a cutscene, repeat. And the next expansion is going to more of the same, but this time with lottery loot boxes.

It feels to me like they are moving away from MMO towards a mobile game. Just no, this game isn't for me anymore.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

The new gearing process is Biowares way of telling people to "GTFO" and "Transfer to another game" I suppose. Nothing about it looks fun or interesting, rather more like 180 degree the opposite. As for story, lost interest in the Zakuul stuff a long time ago. Only chapter that was any fun so far was the Shroud bonus chapter. Only thing that would vaguely rekindle my interest is if I get to kill Quinn. Then I would finish the expansion on all the alts that started on it just so I could kill him a dozen times. Who cares about romancing Arcann??? People are weird. Give me a romance option for Scorpio instead. Hottest bot in the galaxy ;)

Edit to add: Was it my imagination or are they revisiting the idea of M4-78?

Random equipment from boxes reminds me of something... can't quite put... ah. Got it. That was what PVP-gearing was like for a month before Bioware changed it to commendations with the very first content patch because players really, really enjoyed not being able to complete their set. :no:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Chapter One gameplay from Polygon (video and link on Dulfys site)...

Dulfys take on the command point grind

...a lengthy grind all subscribers can now enjoy with KOTET.

Didn't even know she knew how to be snarky ;)

• Like 1

I've been playing through some more storylines.  I got my trooper up to level 65 to join my Jedi Knight.  I'm enjoying the fact you can level through the content by simply sticking to the class storylines now, that moves the game along at a nicer pace.  

Although I still have moments where I wish they would open up space and let us fly around a bit.  Also why can I fly in WoW but not in a game already filled with flying vehicles? 

Left it to patch overnight and logged in for 30 minutes before heading for work today. Mostly greeted by partially empty quickbar slots and bills to pay for new crafting skills ;)

Yeah, so far it feels like losing more than you gained. My raid group and I plan to run non-stop sm ops the next few weeks on our alts to boost command points and then *hopefully* get something useful.

Damn you TrueNeutral and your choice of thread title... you Jinxed it!

If I get a bit of spare time over the weekend, I might try the new story a bit on one of my alts.

Edit: First point on the agenda is to get to level 70 of course. Still got piles of the bound xp boosts on my level 65's so shouldn't take long.

• Like 1

can't muster the energy to play swtor at the moment.  we did manage to purchase a bazillion or so republic memorabilia companion gifts with comms before 5.0 went live, so we can get the dvl chiss jedi companion to influence 50 on at least a few characters as soon as she becomes available. 

whatever.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I wish galactic command was legacy wide because there's no way I can do this on even one alt. Anyway, got to rank 5 mostly by disintegrating everything I've gotten so far. You don't get a chance at the good stuff til 180 anyway and the 230 green gear isn't really an upgrade to my 220/224 augmented stuff.

Yeah, going to be interesting. I give it 4 weeks. If it's still this *&^%$# gear system I know my raid team wont be around (and I'll probably follow suit).

Well it seems my mara gets his ass kicked in wzs. To be fair I was being focused by 4 different toons(who I assume were dps, hard to tell without stances), but he felt squisher than usual. Right now it doesn't feel the same. Ravage is now a meh filler, Gore seems kind of a letdown(should be affected by that ability that refunds rage and maybe deal 5-10% more damage, it's over 20% lower base than Furious Strike atm and I don't think that 100% AP will consistently make up that difference), and now I've got three things modifying a proc that should be two at the most imo. On the plus side the AP windows won't get blown trying to pull off a Ravage I guess.

Not sure what to make of the other classes yet, the Op cleave looks dumb despite being more effective and the Vigilance Dispatch replacement feels kinda unnecessary(should've done something with Riptose instead imo).

New loot system is dumb, the ease of PVP gearing was great and this will make it a pain in the ass. Only clear positive is the removal of those damn data crystals.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I wish galactic command was legacy wide because there's no way I can do this on even one alt. Anyway, got to rank 5 mostly by disintegrating everything I've gotten so far. You don't get a chance at the good stuff til 180 anyway and the 230 green gear isn't really an upgrade to my 220/224 augmented stuff.

So... You still have to grind for 175 galactic command levels, before you even get a chance of improving your gear?

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.