Iran comes in from the Cold

BruceVC

http://news.yahoo.com/iran-comes-cold-nuclear-deal-applied-062746897.html;_ylt=AwrBT7uPS5tWyWwAG4VXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

So the punishing sanctions against Iran have been  lifted, I think this is a victory for the power of negotiations. It allows Iran to become part of the economic global community. I feel that the last decade has proved that economic sanctions can have real and meaningful impact...so in most cases we don't need to threaten countries with military force just let sanctions follow there natural course

This is   my view that will get Russia to change course in Ukraine, let the sanctions continue. Putin will hopefully realize a broken economy is not worth the effort for interference in places like Ukraine

Also with the Iranians coming back to the global economy they will be pumping even more oil to the international market so those like me who prefer  cheaper oil support this as this  will only add to the oversupply and keep oil prices low. I also think an inclusive Iran will make the ME more stable as the Iranians will take there Shia  influence more seriously as they now are back in the global world ...and no one likes criticism of policy from members of the UN...if you claim you want to be part of that global world  :geek:

You should also have seen that we have had a  landmark exchange of USA prisoners for Iranian prisoners ...would this ever have happened if  the sanctions hadn't been lifted?

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/16/middleeast/iran-jason-rezaian-prisoners-freed/index.html

Netanyahu seems to be really upset but this is to be expected. Also its  a good thing to have the Israeli's also monitoring if the Iranians are adhering to the agreements that the likes  of the IAEA insisted need to be part of the overall negotiations 

I think the likes of  John Kerry and Mohammad Javad Zarif, the Iranian foreign minister,  need to be congratulated for there hard work and diligence  :thumbsup:  

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Expect higher insurgency in Yemen to the point of the Saudis outright invading, just saying. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Expect higher insurgency in Yemen to the point of the Saudis outright invading, just saying. 

LOL. Do you even have the faintest idea about the causes behind that conflict?

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Oh, i do not mean that the Shias will get more weapons or man-power, i mean that the Saudis will increase their presence there and other places where they and their allies on one side, and Iran and their allies on the other; as in more Proxy wars. Meanwhile the militray industrial complex and their bankers are counting their coppers on the whole thing. 

It's interesting on what will happen now when even more oil will be available on the market. Perhaps the petrodollar will lose more influence? 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Persians are about as evil as any Western state, their reach is just not as great. I'd rather deal with them than The House of Saud, that's for sure. Also, the Iranian government is about as representative of the people living there as the US Government is of its captives. That we can now begin moving past the farce that was the nuclear charade is all the better.

Newsflash: the US is now paying it's debts to Iran.

The Persians are about as evil as any Western state, their reach is just not as great. I'd rather deal with them than The House of Saud, that's for sure. Also, the Iranian government is about as representative of the people living there as the US Government is of its captives. That we can now begin moving past the farce that was the nuclear charade is all the better.

I'll take Iran over Saudi Arabia any day of the week.

Oh, i do not mean that the Shias will get more weapons or man-power, i mean that the Saudis will increase their presence there and other places where they and their allies on one side, and Iran and their allies on the other; as in more Proxy wars. Meanwhile the militray industrial complex and their bankers are counting their coppers on the whole thing. 

It's interesting on what will happen now when even more oil will be available on the market. Perhaps the petrodollar will lose more influence? 

I'm just tired of hearing people who have no clue about what is going on in Yemen regurgitating the notion that the peace-loving Yemenis are under threat from foreign Iranian intervention, having only the brave Saudi Arabia to shield them. It's more similar to a slaughterhouse where Saudi Arabia is exterminating the Shia population in alliance with Al Qaeda. Of course Iran is on the side of the Shia, but they had nothing to do with starting the conflict (which is rooted in a power struggle after Saleh's ouster).

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

"I'll take Iran over Saudi Arabia any day of the week."

Kiddin't right? They (the gov'ts) are both scumbag pieces of crap.

So? That doesn't have anything to do with my statement.

Also the entire ME is full of politically grey areas, I understand exactly what Western ideology means and what defines it but I have come to realize in respects to the various governments in the ME and there policy decisions that you need to look at things in a certain lens, terms like " anti-Western " , " pro-Western", " evil" , " good " ...cannot always be applied and interpreted in the normal way so we need  to look at the ME in a less critical and perhaps more objective manner 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

These types of views always make me laugh, people who don't like the West assume China will offer them a better deal....more integrity

Its so misplaced and spurious,I have seen this in Africa many times. But good luck to Iran....I hope they realize that China is currently restructuring its entire economy so we can expect 3-5 years of instability from them 

The West is still the best place to invest in and forge economic ties with by far but if countries dont believe this then they can learn the hard way :)

John Milton 

Man, this is like the beginning of the Armed Assault 3 background story. :D

Why what is the plot in that game ?

John Milton 

These types of views always make me laugh, people who don't like the West assume China will offer them a better deal....more integrity

Its so misplaced and spurious,I have seen this in Africa many times. But good luck to Iran....I hope they realize that China is currently restructuring its entire economy so we can expect 3-5 years of instability from them 

The West is still the best place to invest in and forge economic ties with by far but if countries dont believe this then they can learn the hard way :)

Ok that could be it or maybe you don't understand geopolitics and can't realize that China and Russia are the leading economic and militant powers in the East which means that for political reasons having good relations with them means support in diplomatic matters. 

In other words; Iran is shopping for a new pimp.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Bruce, you need to understand the core difference between how Chinese are operating on the global market. Their actions are not meant to build them a fast return on investment, and unlike our companies, they have better defined long term strategies. They seek to get a hold, build connections, entrench and then there is nothing to move them out of that place.

Our boards do not look further than 3-5 years perspective, because that in fact is hardly predictable, and they need to also meet their year to year goals.

Chinese build their whole economy around long term visions... I mean just look at their state 20years ago and now... Their problem is, that some mechanisms were not known to them, and one of them is the extent of the influence of global markets once you go beyond economy based on cheap manufacturing, but to be fair, those mechanisms were also underestimated in the "western" economies.

Did you ever try to compete in a market with an entrenched Chinese company? Try it out and share your experiences ;)

Ok that could be it or maybe you don't understand geopolitics and can't realize that China and Russia are the leading economic and militant powers in the East which means that for political reasons having good relations with them means support in diplomatic matters. 

In other words; Iran is shopping for a new pimp.

Bruce, you need to understand the core difference between how Chinese are operating on the global market. Their actions are not meant to build them a fast return on investment, and unlike our companies, they have better defined long term strategies. They seek to get a hold, build connections, entrench and then there is nothing to move them out of that place.

Our boards do not look further than 3-5 years perspective, because that in fact is hardly predictable, and they need to also meet their year to year goals.

Chinese build their whole economy around long term visions... I mean just look at their state 20years ago and now... Their problem is, that some mechanisms were not known to them, and one of them is the extent of the influence of global markets once you go beyond economy based on cheap manufacturing, but to be fair, those mechanisms were also u/nderestimated in the "western" economies.

Did you ever try to compete in a market with an entrenched Chinese company? Try it out and share your experiences ;)

Guys I live in a country that has been in a political and economic alliance with China for 5 years,  it hasn't benefited us at all. BRICS has  been a failure on numerous levels but it really has impacted our economy because China told us " sell us all your commodities, we not like the West. You can trust us "

We did that and now that China is restructuring there economy and they are facing there own economic challenges they stopped buying almost all commodities and this has left South Africa in serious trouble

China has always driven growth  as an export based economy, they aren't good at investment but rather  trade. Now they are changing to a consumer driven consumer and we can expect economic instability from them for the next  3-5  years

So yes I am very aware of what China offers countries as an economic partner, we suffer every day because of it

And Orog you do know that Russia has been in an economic recession for months now  so I'm not sure why you think they have a strong economy ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Talking in broad terms often leads to misinterpretations, but I still like to be concise and give people the chance to realize what I'm saying without having to overly explain myself.

Russia's GDP is high enough that they have to be considered as a world leading economy and the fact that they one of two major agents within their geographical position was mostly what I was referring about.

BTW, how is being an economic partner to the US or the EU any better?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Talking in broad terms often leads to misinterpretations, but I still like to be concise and give people the chance to realize what I'm saying without having to overly explain myself.

Russia's GDP is high enough that they have to be considered as a world leading economy and the fact that they one of two major agents within their geographical position was mostly what I was referring about.

BTW, how is being an economic partner to the US or the EU any better?

Okay so the Russian economy is in  a much worse situation that you may realize, its really bad. I have been looking for links that will summarize how broken it really is in a way that explains it simply and I think I have found what I need

So yes if you just Google something like "strongest GDP countries in the world "  the results returned should position Russia as 10 or 11 in the world so your initial response would be " Bruce is talking nonsense ...Russia is fine " 

But in the example of Russia you cannot look at GDP as an accurate  representation of the economic reality, you have to look at a different metric called GDP per Capita. This figure is calculated by taking total GDP and dividing by the number of citizens, this gives you spending power of the average Russian citizen. This metric places Russia at 63/196 countries 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29_per_capita

http://countryeconomy.com/gdp/russia

But thats not there biggest problem, 65 % of the Russian economy was reliant on there export of oil and natural gas. Because Putin,and other oil producers like Nigeria and Venezuela, never imagined a day where the oil price  would crash for  as long as it has now Putin never diversified the Russian economy. So in other words he always thought selling oil would drive the Russian economy...this is on him

Now what makes it even worse is there is  a minimum price that any oil producing country  needs to sell oil at...for Russia this price is between $90-120 per barrel and the current oil price is $30, so that means its costing Russia to extract oil even though they are selling it

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/24/news/economy/russia-losing-140-billion-oil-sanctions/index.html

Now Russia as of 2014  had about $400 Billion dollars in foreign reserves but due to the state of the oil price, the general economy  and lack of foreign investment they are spending $140 billion per year  to keep there country functional ...and this money comes out of there  foreign reserves which means at the current rate of overall economic decline Russia will be bankrupt in 2-3 years

https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/country-data/russia-gdp-country-report

So how do they fix this? They need the oil price to get back to $100 so they can actually starting making money...but this is unlikey to occur. If the West dropped sanctions they could try generate investment but most countries are reluctant to invest in Russia

So I can't see a happy picture for Russia unless the oil price changes

In summary Russia is facing major economic turmoil and things are not good at all 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

You should forward that post to the president of Iran, maybe he doesn't know what he is getting into with Russia or maybe they just want their military power and have other plans to keep them afloat. I hear the petrodollar might be in danger.

This might be one of those situations where having a state with all the power might be a benefit, since social  planning becomes very easy. Yet it comes at the expense of individual growth and instead favors foreign investors, which may be why Russia has been cultivating relations foreign private investors.

village_idiot.gif