US Elections 2016

Guard Dog

Bruce, I'm not saying the invasion of Afghanistan wasn't justified, I'm just saying Gore wouldn't have done it. And he wouldn't. IIRC he spoke out against any military reprisals to 9-11.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't understand why the US media constantly talk about how Hillary Clinton has such an advantage with minority voters.

If you repeat something enough people will come to believe it.

Like the fact she's a criminal.

That one remains to be seen. It's looking like she is.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm a minority and all the other minority democrats I talk to prefer voting Clinton > Sanders.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Bruce, I'm not saying the invasion of Afghanistan wasn't justified, I'm just saying Gore wouldn't have done it. And he wouldn't. IIRC he spoke out against any military reprisals to 9-11.

But Gore's VP candidate was Joe Lieberman. And if Gore would have died - say, if an aircraft had crashed into the White House while he was there, or if he would have been in the wrong part of the Pentagon or in the WTC during 9/11, or if he would have been killed with anthrax or something, Lieberman would have been president. And he is a neocon just like Bush.

If we just get rid of Gore somehow, I bet the rest would have turned out the same way as under GWB.

Edited by Rostere

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Yes I know that, I'm just pointing out that the USA\West  will now be blamed for the collapse of Afghanistan ..so don't get upset when this happens :) (I know you personally don't believe that but others may )

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm a minority and all the other minority democrats I talk to prefer voting Clinton > Sanders.

Correct minorities must vote for Clinton  ;)  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't understand why the US media constantly talk about how Hillary Clinton has such an advantage with minority voters.

If you repeat something enough people will come to believe it.

Like the fact she's a criminal.

That one remains to be seen. It's looking like she is.

Honestly... I can't help but think the entire thing is manufactured 90% of the way. It's the entire republican political machine hell bent on getting her out of the race because they knew for years she was the main option to be the presidential candidate (which is why Benghazi was constantly punched up for a year before the report saying "they did the best they could with what they knew at the time" appeared), so they could manufacture this "illegality" in the way a cop can manufacture a ticket or arrest for you at any given point in your life.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

But Gore's VP candidate was Joe Lieberman. And if Gore would have died - say, if an aircraft had crashed into the White House while he was there, or if he would have been in the wrong part of the Pentagon or in the WTC during 9/11, or if he would have been killed with anthrax or something, Lieberman would have been president. And he is a neocon just like Bush.

If we just get rid of Gore somehow, I bet the rest would have turned out the same way as under GWB.

Of course. The US political spectrum is an extremely narrow section of economic liberalism and there is very little difference between neocons and neoliberals in terms of foreign and domestic policy. With the exception of Sanders, Paul(s), and Trump I don't think we've seen any presidential candidates from the major parties with diverging views from the spectrum and even if they were elected the most they would be able to do is veto **** from the legislature because the HoR and Senate are packed with neocons and neolibs.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Why?

Because the Democrats believe in supporting the middle class and also supporting minorities ....they are seen in this light at least and believe in the Federal government intervening in some ways to achieve this. So for me I would also support the Democrats if I was a minority because there always seems to be Trump in every election in the Republicans

Now of course not every minority supports the Democrats and the vast numbers of Republican supporters on this forum are not like Trump but end of the day the Republican party has lost its way. They can restore themselves but they need to ask what they stand for 

For example the Democrats haven't offended the Latino population or women like Trump did, until the Republicans can learn to curtail this type of behavior they will suffer in the polls IMO

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

He wasn't asking why they prefer Democrats over Republicans. He was asking why they prefer Clinton over Sanders.

Oh....why didn't you let me know before I made that point ?

Remember just because I'm speaking on your behalf it doesn't mean you can't sometimes correct me....this is not a dictatorship, I believe in SJ  ;)  

John Milton 

Look, the Clintons have street cred with minority communities. Victimized groups have long memories and the Clintons built up a lot of equity through their past deeds. Bill in particular knows and understands Black America. He knows the poor. For all his moral lapses, Bill Clinton comes across as genuine in his commitment to public service.  Bill Clinton is also the best politician in the modern era. He understands how to get elected and how to run a government.

Throwing all useless cyncism aside, the Clintons aren't Machiavellian schemers whose endgame is to rule for the sake of maintaining power. Hillary's not nearly as likable or charming as slick Willy, but I believe her commitment to public service is as strong as Bill's. 

Sanders is also genuine in his commitment to public service on behalf of the poor. But he'd make a terrible President for the sheer fact that he won't be able to get much done. He's a zealot, similar to Cruz and other Tea Party candidates, and zealots are just bad for Washington. Realist > Idealist.

The Clintons at the very least have history and know how to make things happen despite a hostile legislature. There will be a waiting cadre of experienced and talented staffers and Cabinet members to make the administration work.

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Look, the Clintons have street cred with minority communities. Victimized groups have long memories and the Clintons built up a lot of equity through their past deeds. Bill in particular knows and understands Black America. He knows the poor. For all his moral lapses, Bill Clinton comes across as genuine in his commitment to public service.  Bill Clinton is also the best politician in the modern era. He understands how to get elected and how to run a government.

Throwing all useless cyncism aside, the Clintons aren't Machiavellian schemers whose endgame is to rule for the sake of maintaining power. Hillary's not nearly as likable or charming as slick Willy, but I believe her commitment to public service is as strong as Bill's. 

Sanders is also genuine in his commitment to public service on behalf of the poor. But he'd make a terrible President for the sheer fact that he won't be able to get much done. He's a zealot, similar to Cruz and other Tea Party candidates, and zealots are just bad for Washington. Realist > Idealist.

The Clintons at the very least have history and know how to make things happen despite a hostile legislature. There will be a waiting cadre of experienced and talented staffers and Cabinet members to make the administration work.

Nice post Leferd, I wish you commented more and I'm not suggesting this because you are minority therefore you must know these types of things

It just get sometimes draining having to seemingly defend Clinton ....and I'm even American( yet )   :biggrin:

John Milton 

And I think a lot of Hillary's intangability for the population really comes down to how her campaign portrays her. I've said it before, and will say it again, her experiance makes everything she says (unless she's caught almost totally off guard) come off as prepared.

And I think a lot of Hillary's intangability for the population really comes down to how her campaign portrays her. I've said it before, and will say it again, her experiance makes everything she says (unless she's caught almost totally off guard) come off as prepared.

So people don't like her because her speeches are prepared ?

You also support her Calax...sorry I forgot :)

John Milton 

Me too but my minority dem friends prefer Sanders

That's in AZ though where our local Rep is one of the few who backed Sanders

EDIT- Forgot to post this since no woman that I know under 50 supports Clinton

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Rubio is just hilariously bad. The whole package of trying to act tough with an effeminate voice, repeating the same talking points with zero awereness on how rehearsed it sounds and finally being verbally bitchslapped by a guy nicknamed "Christy Kremé" is simply too much. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Gg6ggghoI

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I will give Trump credit for one thing. He is the only candidate that is doing this by just being himself. In Iowa Ted Cruz bookended ever speech with bible quotes. He hasn't done that once in NH. Rubio, Bush, Christie have all changed everything from their positions to presentation based on whom they were talking to at the time.

When you see Trump, you get Trump. Both the good and the bad. With the others you never know which one is going to show up. I can see the appeal in that.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

No, people dislike her because she's to prepared. She's to perfectly political for them. They don't know that she'll do anything she says because she seems like she'd prefer to say what's correct (for her audience) vs what she thinks is actually right. That's where Sanders and Trump are scoring points, they don't care about traditional politics as they were, so they don't care that their ideas might not test well with men 18-45 (or whatever) but they still stick by them. Hillary has been in politics so long that she comes off as incredibly focus tested and always with the most political answer for her audience.

• Like 2

No, people dislike her because she's to prepared. She's to perfectly political for them. They don't know that she'll do anything she says because she seems like she'd prefer to say what's correct (for her audience) vs what she thinks is actually right. That's where Sanders and Trump are scoring points, they don't care about traditional politics as they were, so they don't care that their ideas might not test well with men 18-45 (or whatever) but they still stick by them. Hillary has been in politics so long that she comes off as incredibly focus tested and always with the most political answer for her audience.

Well put!

Thomas Sowell

Me too but my minority dem friends prefer Sanders

Most of my family and friends live on the coasts --California (North and South), Washington D.C., NYC, Philadelphia, Oregon. A few were Sun Devil and Wildcat graduates though. They're conservative though.

• Like 1