Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

The least they coulda done was pick actually good actresses. Why such ****ty ones? Why no Lawrence? Why no Rosie O'Donnell?Why no Halle Berry? Instead, we get this crap show of garbage and/or people I never heard of?Why not Tina Fey? Actually good actresses? HOLY MOLY.

I'm sure it will be alright but the casting of the original GB was one of the big reasons why it was so great and legendary. This time not so much.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't have any problem with the cast. 

And since the original Ghostbusters script involved alternate dimensions and the Ghostbusters traveling to different worlds, I have no issue accepting this movie as a parallel universe to the original.

Overall I liked the trailer.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The least they coulda done was pick actually good actresses. Why such ****ty ones? Why no Lawrence? Why no Rosie O'Donnell?Why no Halle Berry? Instead, we get this crap show of garbage and/or people I never heard of?Why not Tina Fey? Actually good actresses? HOLY MOLY.

I'm sure it will be alright but the casting of the original GB was one of the big reasons why it was so great and legendary. This time not so much.

They should just get Madonna, Geena Davis, and Tank Girl to go along with Rosie O'Donnell, you are right.  

Kristen Wiig > Tina Fey, roofles.  

I'm not really serious, I love Tina Fey.  But I also love Kristen Wiig. :p

While this cast strikes me as unimpressive, not sure those counter examples are not ****ty. O'Donnell and Fey especially.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"I'm not really serious, I love Tina Fey.  But I also love Kristen Wiig."

Wiig is actually the best of the four. 

I don't know the black girl. The fatty is just an O'Donnell or Roseanne Barr (who would probably be the BEST choice for big lady who can actually act AND be funny role).

I probably won't watch it in theatres but will watch on TMN when it comes out there. And, probably enjoy it For. What. It. Is.

• Like 1

http://www.cnet.com/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-blu-ray-dvd-april-1/

Target will offer:

exclusive packaging

never-before-seen interviews with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega

"a deeper look at the movie's costumes and weaponry"

Walmart will have exclusive:

BB-8 packaging

Star Wars Galactic Connexions trading disc

Lastly there's Best Buy, which will feature an exclusive SteelBook packaging.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't have any problem with the cast. 

And since the original Ghostbusters script involved alternate dimensions and the Ghostbusters traveling to different worlds, I have no issue accepting this movie as a parallel universe to the original.

Overall I liked the trailer.

am gonna admit that am not enthusiastic, but it ain't like we were dying to see the first ghostbusters neither... and am having difficulty thinking o' a straight-up remake that made us anything other than dismissive.  hell, if we had been alive at the time, am certain we woulda' gone all movie-snob and scoffed at the magnificent seven... as we is current doing for the 2016 remake of the magnificent seven

specific where a remake is o' a movie rather than using the same source material (e.g. ben-hur, moby ****) we can think o' only three additional film remakes we liked: ocean's eleven, 3:10 to yuma, and the thomas crown affair.  am suspecting we can come up with other positive examples if we rack our brain, but is far easier to come up with fails than successes.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I liked the Clueless remake of Emma.

not a bad example, though again, we excluded movies based on source material that weren't movies... so no dr. jekyll & mr. hyde, the hunchback of notre dame, or any o' the dozens o' shakespeare works... including a different teen movie, 10 things i hate about you.  after all, how many times has the three musketeers been made?  hamlet? is not remakes o' movies so much as movies using same source material.

eddie murphy's the nutty professor were actual funny... and am admitting we were never a fan o' jerry lewis.  we weren't so much a fan o' his dr. doolittle, but it were successful.

wanna have sherman set the wayback machine to 1938 (?) and one can at least argue that the adventures of robin hood was a remake o' the douglas fairbanks version.

but again, am working our brain pretty hard to find exceptions.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This is a good exercise.

The Departed was better than Infernal Affairs.

Haven't seen the original material, but Airplane! had to have been superior.

Crossing mediums, but Firefly was a better rewrite to Alien Resurrection, as was Buffy.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

This is a good exercise.

Crossing mediums, but Firefly was a better rewrite to Alien Resurrection, as was Buffy.

the departed is an excellent entry.  but airplane were a parody o' a genre o' films.  is kinda like not another teen movie.  airplane weren't a remake o' a particular film

HA! Good Fun!

Faye Dunaway and Robert Redford are the definitive Daisy and Gatsby to me. Plus there's also Sam Waterston.

But the Lana del Ray song in the new soundtrack is stellar.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

The newest Great Gatbsy is the greatest Great Gatsby of them all.

which is saying very little... and also ignores that it ain't a remake o' a film.  honest, one wonders if a sign o' impending apocalypse is ten years w/o hollywood attempting to do yet another three musketeers

converse, it is surprising just how many times cyrano de bergerac has been done well.  the jose ferrer, gérard depardieu and steve martin vehicles were all great... and even the recent animated quasi-remake (megamind) was funny.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

They need to remake Ben Hur.

they are, and they already did. is an upcoming version, and there were a 1925 and 1959 version... all based on a late 1800s novel.

stephen boyd's death scene is one o' our favorite movie scenes... evar.

HA! Good Fun!

"Faye Dunaway and Robert Redford are the definitive Daisy and Gatsby to me. Plus there's also Sam Waterston."

Dunaway and Redford were boring. Waterson was pretty solid. It was a decent film but the new GG is AWESOMESAUCE.

"Faye Dunaway and Robert Redford are the definitive Daisy and Gatsby to me. Plus there's also Sam Waterston."

Dunaway and Redford were boring. Waterson was pretty solid. It was a decent film but the new GG is AWESOMESAUCE.

I agree. In fact, the movie as a whole was boring. But that's the image I have in my head when I think of Gatsby.

This is a good exercise.

the departed is an excellent entry.  but airplane were a parody o' a genre o' films.  is kinda like not another teen movie.  airplane weren't a remake o' a particular film

HA! Good Fun!

AIRPLANE! actually uses much of the script of the 1957 film ZERO HOUR!  I'd agree classing it as a remake would still be difficult.

I would like to see a remake of Forbidden Planet, just to see if it would work for current audience. 

Ug, no.  They'd want to improve on Robby the Robot and that's a fools errand, IMO.

Personally I thought HOUSE OF WAX was a good remake of MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM. Hitch****'s THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH is a good remake of Hitch****'s THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH... :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

they are, and they already did. is an upcoming version, and there were a 1925 and 1959 version... all based on a late 1800s novel.

stephen boyd's death scene is one o' our favorite movie scenes... evar.

HA! Good Fun!

Huh, nuts. And I was joking in a wishing way. Kind of like joking about Die Hard needing a reboot. Edited by Malcador

ack.  how could we forget geena davis and jeff goldblum's the fly? is kinda the perfect title for remake.  1958 special effects makes the original less than scary to modern audiences.  while 1986 effects look dated today, they were a huge leap forward compared to the original.

we would love to see a remake of outland.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082869/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_32

were set in space, but it were for all intents and purposes a late 70s western with all the brutality and ambiguous morality that went along with such films.  nevertheless, given how bad the special effects is by modern standards, it is difficult for audiences to appreciate and am thinking that the western-sci fi fusion would do better in 2016 than it did in 1981.

HA! Good Fun! 

ps outland were not exact a remake o' high noon, but it clear were inspired by the gary cooper film.

Edited by Gromnir

Outland was more or less a restaging of High Noon in space

Edited by Amentep