Ok, let's settle it once and for all: ROMANCES.

How important are romances to you?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. How important are romances to you?

• VERY important. I really, really want to see them in KOTORII!
    • Somewhat important. They're entertaining, but not critical.
    • I don't care either way.
    • I kinda disliked them in the first game, but to each their own.
    • GET RID OF THEM! I don't like 'em one bit.

Lets see what Obsidians writers can come up with

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Annah, wasn't she just a brief flirt ? I thought Fall from Grace was the romance option ? :huh:

You wind up kissing her, if you ask her about what Ravel said in the maze.

What makes you think Fall-From-Grace was the romance option? I never got any romance dialogues with her.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

If you did the good ending in PS:T, Grace said something about "Wherever you go after this, I will find you. I will search the planes until we are united again" or something of the sort.

I think both Grace and Annah have their charms. The journal has the right of it.

"Grace said that, since she is a succubus, her kiss kills whomever it touches. And I cannot die. I find that strangely arousing." (not exact word by word)

"You have offended my family, and you have offended the Shaolin temple." Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon

What makes you think Fall-From-Grace was the romance option? I never got any romance dialogues with her.

That was what I liked about it. Way more subtle than the blatant "Nice dress, lets have sex" attittude in Kotor1. FFG never openly said anything, but left you second guessing whether she even cared about you or not (the hard to get, mystary woman thing). Ok, so I prefer sophisticated women, shoot me :huh:

Thats the type of npc relations I was hoping for in Kotor2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That was what I liked about it. Way more subtle than the blatant "Nice dress, lets have sex" attittude in Kotor1. FFG never openly said anything, but left you second guessing whether she even cared about you or not (the hard to get, mystary woman thing). Ok, so I prefer sophisticated women, shoot me :huh:

Thats the type of npc relations I ws hoping for in Kotor2

Yeah, it was pretty subtle. I'd hesitate before calling it a 'romance', though. She obviously ends up showing that she cares for you at the Fortress of Regrets (both by willingly dying for you and by saying she'll track you down no matter how long it takes)....but then that could just be really, really strong friendship.

Yeah, it was pretty subtle. I'd hesitate before calling it a 'romance', though. She obviously ends up showing that she cares for you at the Fortress of Regrets (both by willingly dying for you and by saying she'll track you down no matter how long it takes)....but then that could just be really, really strong friendship.

Sorry, I'm a bit lazy right now, so I'll just cut and paste from a previous post:

"If it's a choice between types of relationships, I would prefer Kotor2 to be about strong emotional relationships"

Strong emotional relationships could also be a strong friendship, not necessarily a love affair :huh:

As long as it's well done, any of the above is fine by me.

How about enemy party members? I heard Baldur's gate does this but I've never played that one. (yet)

Like, if you bring them along with each other on certain quest they let the other one die instead of helping them out....or even kill them themselves? :ph34r:

How about enemy party members? I heard Baldur's gate does this but I've never played that one. (yet)

I can't say anything about BG1, but in BG2, you could e.g. date a drow priestess, just to have an obnoxious paladin party member split her in two with that big blade of his. All because of philsophical differences between them :huh:

Some thing applied to some of the other npcs, they did not all get along well.

Could be interesting seeing something similar in Kotor2 B)

Like, if you bring them along with each other on certain quest they let the other one die instead of helping them out....or even kill them themselves? :ph34r:

Well.. In BG2, there is friction between the different NPCs. The stuffy old paladin cannot stand being in the same party as the evil drow, and attacks her. You're free to help either one or let them settle it themselves (one of them dies - the drow probably since she is a weak cleric).

Likewise, Edwin and Minsc hate each other, but don't attack on sight. They talk back and forth (some really funny dialogues too) and in the end of a series of dialogues they start fighting.

Then there is the Aerie/Korgan matter. Korgan thinks Aerie is a wimpy, weak elf (which she is). Aerie thinks korgan is a meanie. After some dialogue you have to make a choice. Kick aerie or kick Korgan. Otherwise the other leaves your party.

"You have offended my family, and you have offended the Shaolin temple." Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon

Three more votes and we'll be able to put an easy percentage on things....not that it matters. Almost 3/4th of the forum has shown themselves in favor of romances....most of them STRONGLY in favor.

OBSIDIAN DESIGNERS! If you're out there, I think the people have spoken. Appease them and the world shall be thy oyster. Spurn them and thy company shall BURN.

allright. player romance it is then. but they could at least have the other person die. you know, lover dies, player falls into rage, falls to the dark side etc. etc.

or maybe some droid love? two droids loving each other.... they'll have ipod offspring.

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

I don't get what some people think a romance should look like - hey, this is not intended to suggest borrowing from Playboy Mansion...

I just think the romance in KotOR (only played LS/DS male) gave the story more emotional depth (especially playing LS). Love is an even stronger emotion than friendship, that made the confrontation with Bastila on the Star Forge very touching. But, after completing the game, I found that romance-thingy a little two-dimensional. It was a driving force (for me, that is) throughout the game, but in the end, it left a lot to desire. I'm not talking sex there, I didnt't even miss kissing and hugging cut-scenes, there's a time for this after the quest.

But, I mean, look at the ending: You save Bastila by admitting you love her, she tells you the same, and in the end, it seems like this didn't ever happen... There should be more complex relationships (friendship/ romance, with reflections in the ending sequence), it should be optional (and more or less LS bound); but if you choose to tie bounds, it has to be of greater relevance for the story. There are people that find those things motivating - if you aren't one of them, play DS or an eunuch LS hermit... ;-)

PS: Yes, indeed, I do have a _real_ girlfriend - and no, that doesn't make me feel guilty for 'loving' Bastila... ;-)

I want several love interests though, and even though I don't think Lucasarts would sanction it, a lesbian romance between Juhani and a female Revan would have fit the plotline well, especially what with Juhani admitting she has a 'crush' on you, be that a strong emotional friendship or a sexual attraction, interpret what you may. DAMN YOU BIOWARE FOR LEAVING THAT DIALOGUE SO OPEN ENDED!!! :lol:

With precisely 100 votes, this is how it breaks down:

77% are FOR Romance in KOTORII, to one extent or another

12% Don't care

11% are AGAINST romance, to one extent or another

Moreover, nearly half of all voters think Romances in KOTORII are VERY important to the game.

I think it's fair to say 'the ayes have it.'

Bah, SW:KotOR romance options were walking clich

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I rather liked the PS:T romances. They were underdeveloped, but I'm approaching the game from the angle of general dislike of full-blown romances, so the low-key, playful developments and implicit nature of the relationships suited me fine.

I guess they could have used some improvement, and I support the inclusion of in-depth romances in KOTOR2, but it won't matter a greal deal to me.

For someone who hasn't tried PS:T, what made the romance so great in that particular game?

They were very subtle. One of them is even questionable as a romance, though there's an obvious undercurrent of attraction. Since the Lady in question is a Succubus, however, it remains unspoken throughout the game.

The other isn't quite as subtle; it mostly manifests as Annah getting pissed off every time you flatter another woman or (God forbid) try and hire a prostitute. It isn't until later in the game that it comes to anything, and even then it isn't much.

I think what he likes is that both of these romances are mostly absent of traditional cliches. You never find yourself wincing at anything your character says or their characters say.

I'm not one to get hot and bothered by video game romances. Hey, as long as the chics look like chics in the game, I'm happy. Call me a chauvanist if you must.

Annah, however, was hot. The types of implicit (nods to Situationist) tension between TNO and Annah was outright sizzling. It was much better than the run of the mill over the head beating you get from video game romances of late. Annah is jealous (because of her character) of every female who even might be considered a threat. For that reason, having Annah and FFG in the party is quite pleasing. I especially love some of the dialogue in the Brothel where Annah demonstrated her jealous nature. On the other hand, these outbursts were spread far enough apart that the player didn't trip over them every five seconds of play.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The only sizzling thing abiout Annah was me burnbing her at the stake. She was boring, a bore, crap in the pants, and not that interetsing too boot.

FFG, on the other hand, was woah baby! :unsure:

In conclusioon, PST had romance 50% correct. A long ways to go. A long ways.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.