The drinking thread

ShadySands

New addition to my bucket list: visit and have a few drinks in every one of these: https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/casual/the-world%E2%80%99s-most-historic-inns-bars-and-taverns/ss-AAsjZny?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz#image=1

Fortunately most are in Great Britain so they can't be too far apart.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

New addition to my bucket list: visit and have a few drinks in every one of these: https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/casual/the-world%E2%80%99s-most-historic-inns-bars-and-taverns/ss-AAsjZny?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz#image=1

Fortunately most are in Great Britain so they can't be too far apart.  

I've been to Lafitte's in New Orleans. It was pretty neat, although comes across a bit like a theme bar.

Its fascinating to me that Europe has bars older than the formation of the US. :lol: I don't know why...just makes us feel so young.

Anyway, Ill do the bar crawl with you GD!

You sir, are on!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I LOVE the liquor shelf in the one in Peru. I'd build something like that but I really only drink one kind of whiskey are rarely have more than one bottle around. The one in Munich is beautiful but too crowded for me. The one in India.... I'll skip that one. 

Thomas Sowell

• 1 month later...

Nothing since August feels weird but also good, until today before and after Thor: Ragnarok, found a new favorite beer style and brewer.

Wild Barrel tasting room opened five weeks ago in San Marcos and features a 'Berliner Weisse' style sour, among others including wits, stouts, and IPAs, all of which earned the unheard-of and uncoveted Manifested 10/10. 

https://business.untappd.com/boards/25131/page/1

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

• 4 weeks later...

I got traashed on 12 shots of jameson and 3 Dragon's milk stouts.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Bought beets.

Bought vodka.

In 3 days I will have some nice beet vodka.

hmmm Interesting. I looked this up and found dill infused vodka. I love dirty (gin) martinis. I might have to try this, although from what I can tell I've been making infused spirits for years. I just need to infuse more than overnight.
  • Like 1

χαίρετε

Decided to try the whole infused beets thing. I actually like beets, which seems to be rare among my friends. I've pickled them in the past, but I find the time I set aside for brewing pickles is best served in other quasi-related endeavors. I used Rangpur gin and three beets. Damned near a fifth. It's already almost purple in the jar and I plan on using Shady's template of 3 days on it. We'll see.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

I also give it a gentle shake it once a day and take a small sample on days 2 and 3 to see if I want to let is sit longer or shorter. Since beets have a stronger flavor you may like it after only a day or two. I found with mangoes I had to let it sit at least a week to get a stronger mango flavor.

I got a request for horseradish and another for sugar cane so I'll set about those in the next couple of days.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Okay, Shady, I'm going to try that infused gin tonight. I'm beginning to think I should have used vodka like you did, though. Gin already has a strong juniper berry taste and aroma. Still, I have hopes. I started it three days ago and the jar is so purple it's almost black. I should take a pic and post it. It's actually quite attractive. Fresh beets and Tanqueray. I started it on the night of the 12th. Three days should be enough to give me some idea. If it shows promise, I'll try vodka next. Maybe some Stoli or Absolut. I don't know what brands are trendy in vodka these days. Grey Goose? whatever, will report results on the gin later.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

Okay, here's the rundown: as far as the gin, the taste was spectacular. I thought the was the deep purple gin tasted fine although not very strong. However, I also tried it with fresh squeezed lemon and that was delicious! The beets, on the other hand, were too strong with the gin flavor and I think vodka would have been much better for that purpose. For this reason, my next attempt will be with Vodka. I tend to drink a lot of scotch, but I shy away from anything over $50 (unless someone else pays for it) and so I can't imagine trying whiskey any time soon. This is promising and, even better, I have other uses for this infused mixture (as the liquid in an airlock) and so I will continue to experiment with it.

χαίρετε

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Like 2

Thomas Sowell

My neighbor and I went in halves on a bottle of Jonnie Walker Gold. It is...alright...I guess. Neither one of us knows anything about whiskey so we just buy the most expensive / old one we can afford and see what happens. On the bright side, this experience has definitely proved to me that I prefer bourbon to scotch.

• Like 2

I arranged a wine (blind) tasting for some friends. Bought a cheap wine for fun, just to see if they could detect it - interestingly everyone, even the wine newbies, agreed that the cheap one was by far the worst one.

Winners of the night were both classic french wines, a Pinot from Burgundy (from Dennis Bachelet) and a Syrah from Northern-Rhone (Combier).

The wines we tasted:

2015 Luís Seabra Vinhos Douro Indie Xisto

2014 Gérard Boulay Sancerre Rouge Cuvée Oriane

2015 Terroir Al Limit Soc. Lda. Priorat Torroja Vi de Vila

2011 Poderi Aldo Conterno Barolo Bussia (decanted 2 hours)

2015 Domaine Laurent Combier Crozes-Hermitage Clos des Grives (decanted 2 hours)

2014 Domaine Denis Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes (decanted 2 hours)

2016 M. Chapoutier Marius Rouge (the cheap one)

Edited by Thingolfin