The drinking thread

ShadySands

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If you have never had Dragon's Milk Stout I urge you... no I implore you, drop what you are doing and go buy some RIGHT NOW. If you have never taken seriously a single word I've written these past 14 years, take seriously now: THIS is the good stuff:

11388243279902.png

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My usual, Luksusowa Polish potato vodka. I'm a simple man, and I'm Polish, so naturally I drink vodka, and I prefer potato vodka to grain vodka (my dad is the opposite).  Potato vodkas tend to have a more robust flavor than grain vodkas, but good quality ones also have a really smooth finish. With Luksusowa you get this quick hit of hearty flavor with almost no burn or aftertaste, just the initial taste slowly fading away. There are certainly better vodkas out there, but they also tend to come with a MUCH higher price tag.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I love Dragon's Milk, but it's a king's ransom to buy it. 

Also my guess is Gfted has been drinking crappy watered down stouts. There is a lot of variety in the Stout game, so I'm sure there is something for him. You basically have a bunch of different flavor bases: Malt, bourbon, coffee, chocolate, oatmeal...I'm sure there are a few others but those are the most common. I mean, unless you dislike all of those things, you probably can find the right fit. 

I enjoy a good stout or porter (Poles don't tend to make stouts, but we do make some delicious porters), but, generally speaking, I drink 1 stout or porter and I'm done, I can't really drink any more without forcing myself to. On the other hand, I can drink lagers all day... which is both a blessing and a curse.  :wowey:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've long thought porters to be more sweet and stouts to be more... bitter, for lack of a better word, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. I'm hardly an expert in this field. When it comes to beer, I know what I like, and this is what I like:

perla-chmielowa-pils-beer-poland-1049755

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

So the type of beer is ale, the genre is porter. As porters were getting heavier, darker, and richer they where called "extra", "double", and "stout". Eventually a Stout Porter was just called a Stout. But you still had just as dark Porters. This is all old history that happened in England. Eventually they brewed a super dark Stout, and gave it to Catherine The Great, so that's how we get the Russian Imperial. Even though it's not Russian. Today brewers have introduced a retroactive distinction that Porters are typically malted barley, while Stouts are usually roasted unmalted barley. But it's no hard line, and breweries usually developer their own distinction between the two.

Oh and IPAs are just British Pale Ales that took on a new flavor after aging through different temperature zones on the way back to England from India. Where the labor was exported to. Man, imagine being a proud brewer in the England and having your nation's past-time outsourced to the southern hemisphere. lol.

• Like 2

A lot of unnecessary distinctions have been made over the years in beer making. For example, Pilsner originally meant a lager made in Plzeň, Chech Republic. Over the years it came to mean a lager with a light golden color. Really, it's just a lager.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

^ Same problem in North Carolina. We have a really vibrant craft brewing scene going, but 90% of it is IPAs. Nothing against IPAs, but I'm mainly a lager guy.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I had two milk stouts last night

While I don't personally enjoy IPAs I wouldn't be bothered by them except that they are taking up a lot of space that could be occupied by beers I do enjoy. My closest brewery has like 5 or 6 beers on rotation and 3 are almost always IPAs 

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

IPA is kinda situational for me. Feels fancy and refreshing if I've been on generic lagers for a while, but gets old if consumed regularly.

I've noticed I'm getting sucrose intolerant in my old age, like, I need less and less sweet stuff and stuff too sweet tastes yucky. Meaning I cannot enjoy Hoegaarden no more, too sweet. :( Franziskaner still easy on them tastebuds, though. If this summer is going to be as hellish as the last one, it will be my saviour. 

I rarely drink beer anymore, but if I do I prefer blonde ale. Belgian sour ale can be really good too.

I'm pretty much all about wine. Been drinking a lot of good stuff from California lately, including the best wine I've ever tasted - Domaine de la Cote's "La Cote". It would probably be 5x as expensive if it was from Burgundy, so I'm happy about how affordable it was. It was the clear winner in the wine tasting I arranged for some friends, where the theme was "France vs the US" (with the grapes Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Syrah).

Hard to compare french and american wine though, because the best american wine is easily attainable, while the best french wine needs much more aging, and is much harder to get a hold of.

(Guess I'm kind of speaking to myself, haven't noticed anyone else being into wine here?)

Edited by Thingolfin
  • Like 1

I really like red and the occasional white. Been more of a beer drinker, and wine tends to give me headaches more. I can't say I follow certain wine brands yet.

I tend to like cabs.

I should get wine more often though, solely for cooking purposes.

My wife is all about cabs and zins. She plans her meals around the wine

I just had a bourbon barrel stout from Avery Brewing Co. It's about 16% and has a good rich flavor but it maybe a little too "punch in the facey" on the first few sips

Free games updated 3/4/21

I've noticed I'm getting sucrose intolerant in my old age, like, I need less and less sweet stuff and stuff too sweet tastes yucky. Meaning I cannot enjoy Hoegaarden no more, too sweet. :(

While I myself have problems with sugar just like yourself, I recall Hoegaarden being pretty tasty the few times I got to drink it.

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.