Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Rosbjerg

It's worth posting again. Because it's funny.

1430708975985.jpg

Oh, that is just precious  :lol:

Weirdly, he is right in many places, but where he goes wrong is the idea that being a "social justice stormtrooper" is an inherently worthy pursuit.

I don't find it funny at all, its this type of rhetoric that undermines real SJ change and effort

Well the point is, his rhetoric is more or less correct.

Just terribly, terribly impractical to actually use as a guideline of real life behavior.

Alu I'm going to send a letter to Polygon about my view about this thing is actually misplaced..I know you and Baro have always supported anti-GG so I'll post it tomorrow or the next day on these forums  and I'll go into detail. I want you guys to read it so you don't think I am suddenly flip flopping....I'm not GG or AGG

I know we all support SJ for possibly different reasons but I want to share with you guys what I have realized :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Also does anyone know his email address, I want to email and politely explain he is doing the real SJ cause a disservice 

Haha. Well, good luck with that.  :lol:

I'm going to start with the websites like Polygon...Chu is more of  distraction 

I dont want this to be personal but I really need to say a few things :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just terribly, terribly impractical to actually use as a guideline of real life behavior.

Really, practicality is your only concern with this?

You see nothing morally wrong with renouncing fairness, espousing close-mindedness and thought control, and rationalizing the dehumanizing of and assholishness towards those not deemed "on your side"?

• Like 4

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

You see nothing morally wrong with renouncing fairness, espousing close-mindedness and thought control, and rationalizing the dehumanizing of and assholishness towards those not deemed "on your side"?

I'm with you on this Ineth.  What Arthur Chu was preaching in that post was pure extremism.  He was suggesting that you need to throw yourself into a cause headlong, refuse to listen to any counterarguments, there is no neutrality, only allies and enemies, and to pursue the cause by any means necessary (essentially The Ends Justify the Means).  That's zealotry, pure and simple.  Zealotry is never the answer, it always does exponentially more harm than it does good.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's worth posting again. Because it's funny.

1430708975985.jpg

Oh, that is just precious  :lol:

Weirdly, he is right in many places, but where he goes wrong is the idea that being a "social justice stormtrooper" is an inherently worthy pursuit.

I don't find it funny at all, its this type of rhetoric that undermines real SJ change and effort

You peaked my interest. Please elaborate on why his rhetoric is correct?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I assume Mr Chu is very young, this is the usual spiel of those with no real life experience or practical knowldege, he will learn in time and laugh at the pompousness of his younger self. Either that or grow bitter as life treats him in the exact same manner he approaches it.

I really wouldn't take the gibbering of this idiot seriously, it's simply amusing.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

1430708975985.jpg

If you look at it closely...

- It isn't actually renouncing fairness, it says "fairness is picking the right side and fight for it" (which isn't, in itself, morally wrong - if you have a fight between, say, people who think slavery is rad and people who'd rather have none of it, it's pretty clear cut there is a right side there and fighting for it is the correct moral choice)

- It isn't espousing close-mindedness and thought control, it's espousing thinking deeply about cultural assumptions you were brought up with (which, in traditional Chu fashion, he of course frames as "purging myself of dangerous unthinkable thoughts", but it's just a fancy way of saying things like "I've been raised with and deeply internalized the idea that homosexual people are sinful and disgusting, and it takes active cognitive effort on my part to fight against this assumption"). Also note that these are not his words, he's paraphrasing Yudkowsky here.

- It actually doesn't say anything about people who aren't on "his side" except that "they aren't going to win because they aren't participating". That's... not exactly a call to dehumanize them and justify being an **** to them. If anything, it encourages not doing any of those, because they're not active participants in the battle of memes, thus wasting effort on them when there's a clear enemy to fight would be stupid?

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Chu always strikes me as that guy in Uni that fancied himself as Sun Tzu or Clausewitz.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1430708975985.jpg

Basically the core idea is that by being part of the culture, it is impossible to also be an impartial outside observer to it, thus it's futile to pretend that you can be "neutral". Your concept of neutrality itself has been influenced by your culture. It feels pretty self-evident and not at all controversial to me.

Also, what he said about Yudkowsky's following more or less holds water.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Chu always strikes me as that guy in Uni that fancied himself as Sun Tzu or Clausewitz.

Yes, he seems to be a veritable Arnold Rimmer.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

1430708975985.jpg

Basically the core idea is that by being part of the culture, it is impossible to also be an impartial outside observer to it, thus it's futile to pretend that you can be "neutral". Your concept of neutrality itself has been influenced by your culture. It feels pretty self-evident and not at all controversial to me.

Thank you. 

Why do i get a vibe of Zizek and Lacan all of the sudden...i wonder.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

1430708975985.jpg

Thank you. 

I assume because you've been eating from the trashcan of ideology.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1430708975985.jpg

Thank you. 

I assume because you've been eating from the trashcan of ideology.

Alu is that how you interpret what he is saying, for me he is clearly saying to be effective as a SJW you need to be hardcore .....he talks about  being irrational

Who is Yudkowsky....another SJW?

John Milton 

The trashcan of ideology is something Zizek mentioned in A Pervert's guide to Ideology. Messhugger mentioned Zizek so I thought it would be funny to bring it up. I'd recommend you watch it, but anything outside of neoliberal crap would probably give you a migraine.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Whaaaaaa?  One of the SJW sociopaths (just this one, not accusing anyone else) outing herself in manipulating the media to make herself look like a victim, almost as if some of the things some of us suggested here (and in many other places) are true about them being professional victims is true?  Well, I don't; it couldn't possibly be true.  I must be a mysoginist ****lord to even consider such a thing.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Since all these SJWs in gaming are always talking about this mystical 'privilege'....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34667100/poor-white-boys-get-a-worse-start-in-life-says-equality-report

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Since all these SJWs in gaming are always talking about this mystical 'privilege'....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34667100/poor-white-boys-get-a-worse-start-in-life-says-equality-report

...Said he, somehow managing to miss the point completely.