Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Rosbjerg

I doubt I'm the first to point this out but does Nintendo realise they just straight up stole the design from Dragon's Crown?

2wg520g.png

Didn't Koei design her?

Why not make a completely new character that can explore a different aspect of the setting. Like a female zora or something.

Screw that, female Goron.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I personally have no problem with the Linkle character, other than the name being flat out stupid, though I do feel gender swap characters are lazy in general.  Also, this character feels completely unnecessary in Hyrule Warriors since that isn't a game that features a single set protagonist, rather a large set of protagonists, including quite a large number of female characters.  Still, it's whatever, I have no issue with the character being included.  As for this being an introduction to potentially including Linkle as a playable protagonist in a mainline Zelda game, I don't have a problem with that.  Again, I think it's lazy, but whatever.  I've been asking for years for a Zelda game where you play as Princess Zelda, I think that would be a much better solution.  And if Nintendo is adamant on Link(le) being the only protagonist of mainline Zelda, then a Zelda spinoff where you play as Princess Zelda.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I personally have no problem with the Linkle character, other than the name being flat out stupid, though I do feel gender swap characters are lazy in general.  Also, this character feels completely unnecessary in Hyrule Warriors since that isn't a game that features a single set protagonist, rather a large set of protagonists, including quite a large number of female characters.  Still, it's whatever, I have no issue with the character being included.  As for this being an introduction to potentially including Linkle as a playable protagonist in a mainline Zelda game, I don't have a problem with that.  Again, I think it's lazy, but whatever.  I've been asking for years for a Zelda game where you play as Princess Zelda, I think that would be a much better solution.  And if Nintendo is adamant on Link(le) being the only protagonist of mainline Zelda, then a Zelda spinoff where you play as Princess Zelda.

18cxjvj8lcyvwjpg.jpg

There you go.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

--REDACTED--

There you go.

I don't see anything.  What are you talking about?  No Zelda games were ever produced for something called the Phillips CD-i.  :-

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I don't see anything.  What are you talking about?  No Zelda games were ever produced for something called the Phillips CD-i.  :-

But, then Link wouldn't have his dream of bombing Dodongos to fulfill!

baf.jpg

I mean, we're talking about IGN here.  This is the same site that had a panel discussing what is the best Fallout game to date (this was just before Fallout 4 came out) and, I **** you not, about 30 seconds into the video one of the people on the panel (there were 4 people total) says "keep in mind, I never played Fallout 1 & 2" and another says "me neither".  Half the people on their panel hadn't played half the games in the (main) series and they were discussing which was the best game in the series.  WTF?

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

IGN atleast falls under the "LOL gamezjuurnalism"-umbrella. As in they are incompetent fools, but still like gaming and games, compared to certain other ones who hate games for ideological reasons.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think it's safe to say all games blogging is done by incompetent fools.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Erik Kain and Shamus Young at least are fine quality bloggers, even if Kain might resent the label. I don't always agree with them, but they're always worth reading. Much as with games journalists while most aren't great to say the least some certainly do their job well.

Like a female zora or something.

Contribute to my patreon?

Edited by Zoraptor

You can't spell ignorant without IGN.

I wager most of the IGN staff could.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Erik Kain too would also qualify as a journalist so far as I am concerned, blogger and journo aren't mutually exclusive and there's a fair amount of overlap.

I've pretty much exclusively read Young's personal blog/ website rather than his 'pro' pieces and regard the ../sites/.. section of Forbes as being blogs though, so I view both as being predominantly bloggers.

IGN journalists criticize PCs for not being able to record gameplay like their XBOX can, then manually delete the embarrassing video.

What a bunch of console peasants...
Indeed. One would think that a gaming news site would have at least one PC gamer to try for a balanced conversation when discussing the strengths and weaknesses of consoles vs PC.

Also, naming the best FO game while having not played 1 or 2 is like naming the best rock band of all time and not having listened to the Beatles, Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, etc. It shows how far IGN has fallen.

Edit: I also consider Erik Kain a journalist. He is good at being balanced. Even when I disagree with him I still enjoy his articles.

Edited by Ganrich

I mean, the first two Fallouts are so vastly different compared to the latest 3 (...I would just say the others, but I don't know enough about Tactics to say with absolute certainty...) that there would be little point including them in a comparison/ranking discussion to begin with (especially in the context of Fallout 4 being just released). Not that it's really an excuse, but...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Isn't that nearly always the case when a game franchise goes from 2d to 3d, though? Do we do a best Metroid game and only include everything after Prime? Best Zelda game only includes ocarina and later. Best castlevania only includes post N64 castlevania games, and omits handheld games.

You cannot claim to list the best game in a franchise and omit any title regardless of how different it is.

Not saying I don't see your point, but I just don't think it holds water.

Sorry, my point wasn't really that the 3D Fallouts were going to automatically be the best out of all of them, but rather I would say that trying to compare all of them at once is a pretty pointless exercise before you even start to get into any specifics as to why one entry of the series is better than the other: the two game types are just too different to make any useful comparisons (this also holds true for your other examples). At least, they are to me: I dislike the 3D Marios, but I love the 2D Marios...I love the 3D Zeldas (some of them, anyways), but I dislike the 2D ones...but I daren't try to make any sort of comparison between the two quite wildly differing game types, or try to "rationally" explain why one is better than the other. You're free to disagree, of course, but it seems to me trying to compare games that are of different genres (or at least different subgenres) is just not going to lead to very good comparisons...so I would say IGN's first mistake was making it a "best Fallout game" instead of a "best 3D Fallout game" comparison, which makes their lack of respect for the first two Fallouts irrelevant to begin with, as their comparison is already worthless by making that mistake. That doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't be offended by their idiocy, of course, I suppose.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Yeah, and it would be showing intellectual integrity (especially so in the face of some of the reviewers admitting to having never even touched the first two). So screw that, obviously. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

"Also, naming the best FO game while having not played 1 or 2 is like naming the best rock band of all time and not having listened to the Beatles, Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, etc. It shows how far IGN has fallen."

Actually, it's worst, because at least there is an excuse of there being a bunch of rock groups 9even if you did list the most famous ones). On the other hand, we are talking about just two games - one is 15-20 hours long and another double that.

If youa re gonna do a top game in x series list play them all at least.  Say, unlike, 'best overall rpg' I can undertsand not playing every RPG out there but this? RIDIKULOUS.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.