PotD Adra Dragon Strategy

Oh my god! I am open to all hints and suggestion.

I know that you can talk your way out of fighting it, but I want to fight it.

The main issue seems the insane defense, I can't land any CC on her.

Edited by aartamen

First and foremost, make sure to grab the Scale-Breaker talent (agree to help the Adra Dragon escape but then fess up to the Falanroed).

To win the battle you need to accomplish the following:

1) Buff your accuracy and/or debuff the Adra Dragon's defenses

Using Scale-Breaker first thing helps get the ball rolling here. Use at least exceptional weaponry and utilize every accuracy buffing spell/ability you have (the Priest is the best option if you're using one). I believe the dragon has a fear aura which lowers your accuracy. Prayer against Fear (via a Priest or Scroll) is a quick way to deal with this.

2) Don't get hit by the breath attack

Stick close to the dragon and she'll typically melee you instead of using her breath - you should probably rush in close as soon as combat starts. Ideally you want her CCed whenever possible so she can't hit you with anything

3) Keep the Adragans CCed

The last thing you need is Adragans turning your own party against itself. Try to get a summon or two in position to eat any charms the Adragans use before you land your CC on them.

4) Deal as much damage to the Adra Dragon as possible before your (de)buffs expire

Freeze and Slash will deal the most damage while Burn and Shock are highly resisted. Attacks targeting Reflex will have an easier time landing than those targeting Deflection or Fortitude. Raw damage is great for bypassing the DR. "Cloud" spells are nice because they get many chances to hit (and once they do they'll likely debuff the relevant defense).

5) Stay alive

As always try to get your tanks tying up the dragon and any other enemies that aren't CCed. Buff your defenses if possible and try to keep heals active whenever possible - Consecrated Ground in particular is a reliable option.

Some other tips:

• The real MVPs for this fight are the casters - Druids, Priests, and Wizards. The more you have the easier this fight will be, as they can pump out an incredible amount of powerful spells when they are high level.
  • The best and easiest CCs to land are Paralyze, Stun, Blind, and Charm. Charm obviously turns the Dragon to your side temporarily, which causes her to start wrecking the other enemies and gives you a brief respite to heal and rebuff. The other listed debuffs reduce deflection and reflex by a significant amount, providing a significant boost to your damage output.
  • Don't be afraid to go all out with food, scrolls, potions, and figurines. That said, if you know what you're doing you can definitely beat the battle without using any of these.
Edited by HoopleDoople
  • Like 4

First and foremost, make sure to grab the Scale-Breaker talent (agree to help the Adra Dragon escape but then fess up to the Falanroed).

To win the battle you need to accomplish the following:

1) Buff your accuracy and/or debuff the Adra Dragon's defenses

Using Scale-Breaker first thing helps get the ball rolling here. Use at least exceptional weaponry and utilize every accuracy buffing spell/ability you have (the Priest is the best option if you're using one). I believe the dragon has a fear aura which lowers your accuracy. Prayer against Fear (via a Priest or Scroll) is a quick way to deal with this.

2) Don't get hit by the breath attack

Stick close to the dragon and she'll typically melee you instead of using her breath - you should probably rush in close as soon as combat starts. Ideally you want her CCed whenever possible so she can't hit you with anything

3) Keep the Adragans CCed

The last thing you need is Adragans turning your own party against itself. Try to get a summon or two in position to eat any charms the Adragans use before you land your CC on them.

4) Deal as much damage to the Adra Dragon as possible before your (de)buffs expire

Freeze and Slash will deal the most damage while Burn and Shock are highly resisted. Attacks targeting Reflex will have an easier time landing than those targeting Deflection or Fortitude. Raw damage is great for bypassing the DR. "Cloud" spells are nice because they get many chances to hit (and once they do they'll likely debuff the relevant defense).

5) Stay alive

As always try to get your tanks tying up the dragon and any other enemies that aren't CCed. Buff your defenses if possible and try to keep heals active whenever possible - Consecrated Ground in particular is a reliable option.

Some other tips:

• The real MVPs for this fight are the casters - Druids, Priests, and Wizards. The more you have the easier this fight will be, as they can pump out an incredible amount of powerful spells when they are high level.
  • The best and easiest CCs to land are Paralyze, Stun, Blind, and Charm. Charm obviously turns the Dragon to your side temporarily, which causes her to start wrecking the other enemies and gives you a brief respite to heal and rebuff. The other listed debuffs reduce deflection and reflex by a significant amount, providing a significant boost to your damage output.
  • Don't be afraid to go all out with food, scrolls, potions, and figurines. That said, if you know what you're doing you can definitely beat the battle without using any of these.

Thankyou... thankyou... This is marvelous info ... I'd given up on it because my party gets mowed down by the breath weapon.... I didn't realize that you could avoid it by attacking....  tonight I'm making adra dragon soup !! :) (also,  my party is priestless... so yep.. not easy)

Alternatively, if you have a high-deflection tank in your party, send them ahead and let them take the breath weapon while you buff the rest of your party in the background (worked with Pallegina tanking for me and she survived the fight.)

The wizard spell "Gaze of the Adragan" is also pretty great to lock down the dragon. Or that druid spell that deals damage and petrifies (can't recall its name.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 3 weeks later...

The dragon has slow moving speed and most CCs that diminish the moving speed will root her in place and also lower her reflexes defense even more - spells that blind or binding roots are very good for that. Also, her breath has a limited range - thus it's possible to stay out of her range and shoot/cast spells at her without being hit at all. Like it was already said use always spells that attack reflexes and she will go down very fast. If you lie about helping her it's possible to kill the adragans first, without her attacking, if you stay out of her sight.

Don't use Fortitude targeting spells, it's her highest defence. Use reflex and will instead. Also scalebreaker, obviously to lower defenses.

Dragons, including Adra Dragon, are beasts. Easiest strategy without scolls is probably get a bunch of druids + something to buff their accuracy and spam Hold Beast.

Edited by limaxophobiacq

I just uploaded my fight with the dragon to youtube to show how to stand and fight it. Found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSjv955zgvA&feature=youtu.be Skip to 33.50 for the actual fight

I don't recommend mind controlling the dragon. In my opinion you're more likely to lose control of the fight because it will no longer focus your tank and go wandering around. It leaves too much too chance when the mind control wears off and it looks for a new target to aggro. Plus you lose control over the position of your main party relative to the tank (ie your casters might eat a breath attack because of shifts in positioning). As long as your tank is out in front, the adragans shouldn't be a problem. Crowns for the Faithful should bump your will significantly over 85 points above their accuracy. All they can do is miss beyond that.

My strategy was fairly simple. 1. Tank furtherest to the North and immediate buffs to deflection. 2. Buff accuracy of my party (including suppress affliction to remove terrified debuff) 3. Summons heading off east to intercept the Xaurips. 4. Debuff chain on dragon until stun-locked. 5. Focused attack on dragon until dead. 6. Mop up remaining mobs.

The tank needs at least 190 deflection to avoid all auto-attacks. Potion of Llengraths displaced image (tank), scroll of defence (any lore character) and Crowns for the Faithful (priest) should get you there in your first round of combat action. Crowns for the faithful also puts your will above graze range of the adragan's mind control attacks. Suppress affliction on the rest of your party and use your priest to cast Devotions for the Faithful and Dire Blessing. This should put the accuracy of your party members in the range of 85-100 depending on class. Use the scalebreaker or rotfinger gloves to immediate debuff the dragon's saving rolls by 15-20 (depending on which you use, or even better use both). By this stage your accuracy should be equal to or greater than the dragon's will and reflex saves. Start stacking debuffs which target these two stats first, and then work your way onto other ones once they are applied. Once you knock the dragon prone, you should have control over it for the rest of the fight. Use petrified to ensure the job gets done.

While my priest is working on accuracy, I use to other party memeber to summon units which I send off east to distract the Xaurips.

Easy enough with sound fundamentals I reckon.

I did this with a lvl12 party of custom min/max chars.

Orlan fighter MT min/max for deflection

Aumaua fighter offtank min/maxed for fortitude

Elf ranger

Elf range-rogue

Human priest

Human chanter

This is a lazy mans party, basically you just send in the tank and range down all the monsters. Requires minimal micro-managing, and no spell casting means you can play until someone actually dies before you rest.

I agreed to help him out, but after talking to the dragon slayer I changed my mind (I am playing a good char after all).

When you enter his dungeon, he will be just a few steps away to the right and will agro instantly if you move to the right.

I made as many of the lore 8 single target scrolls as I could. I think I made 17, and I think they where some kind of fire damage. They looked like the lvl1 wizard missile spell when you cast them. I am pretty sure it is the second or third scroll on the lore 8 recipe list. I had 3 chars with enough lore to use them so I divided them between them.

Run the party to the far left.

Run the tank to the dragon and run around him about 80 degree counter clockwise. This will put you between the dragon and the xaurnip adds, and slows down the adragons as they figure out how to path around the dragon.

While the dragon is engaging the tank, run the party over and start working him down.

You want to move the offtank slightly counterclockwise of the rest of the party. When the MT gets charmed, you want the dragon to engage the offtank while you try to run the party back a bit to avoid the breath attack. The OT will also pick up any adds the wander in the parties direction.

Let the chanter run 5 quick chants and summon up the ogres (the ogres seem to be a better distraction than the drake), run the ogres wide around the fight and engage the dragon counter clockwise of the MT, for some reason the dragon will prefer to engage the ogres over the OT when the MT gets charmed.

Once the ogres are up, chant the Foe AoE that does damage and position the chanter so it just hits the dragon, with high Int, you will not get hit by the wing sweep. Not sure, but the wing sweep seems to have less power and less range than the tail sweep.

My MT did not need any food, and only used 2 potions of restore moderate endurance + Watcher spells to survive the fight. If you do not have a min/maxed tank, just use some food and more potions. The tank is only there for distraction, not to do any real damage - just keep him alive and the dragon will kill all the adds with his breath attack. Just unload everything on him, pop the scalebreaker right as you start to hit him with the scrolls and you should get him down to ~1/2 health then just wear him down.

The basic idea is to put the tank all by himself far enough away from the party so that the adds do not become aware of the party. If you try to run a toon over to heal the tank, you will get wiped. You also need to have some kind of offtank to grab agro when the MT gets charmed.