Dragon Age: Inquisition vs The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Dragon Age: Inquisition vs The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which one, in your opinion, is the superior game?

• Dragon Age: Inquisition
    • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

But how could you find out any of that until after you had already splashed out a large wodge of cash on a sequel to a game you didn't like anyway? The same goes for RE4, why would someone who didn't like RE3 even consider buying it, unless they had money to burn?

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

But how could you find out any of that until after you had already splashed out a large wodge of cash on a sequel to a game you didn't like anyway? The same goes for RE4, why would someone who didn't like RE3 even consider buying it, unless they had money to burn?

That's what the internet is for.  If I'm curious about a game, but don't want to spend (waste) money on it before I know what it's like, I read reviews, visit chat forums to see the general consensus, etc.

For instance, I didn't like the side quests in Dragon Age Inquisition.  Found them boring as all hell, and frankly, apart from the main quest, the game is a bit of a slog to get through if you try to be a completionist.  So when the next DA comes out, I'll read reviews, read previews, read forums' opinions to see what changes they made, and whether those changes would be enough for me to go from being "meh" about the series to "hmm, that actually sounds good".

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Did you BUY DAI? If not, how do you know that you would have found it "boring as hell"? I quite enjoyed it, despite the faults mentioned in reviews. If you did buy it WTF did you waste your money on a game you think "is boring as hell"?! Do you have unlimited time and money to waste?!

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Did you BUY DAI? If not, how do you know that you would have found it "boring as hell"?

YouTube Let's Play videos.  Nowadays people visit YouTube or Twitch  and watch Let's Play videos, then they decide if they want to spend money on a game. 

For example: I hated the old Tomb Raider games. So obviously I did not care about the 2013 before and when it came out.  I did not follow it during pre-launch.  I had no interest in it during launch.  I did not know anything about the game when it launched.  I did not even know it was a reboot.  About a year after the launch, I came across a Let's Play video of the game, and then I was hooked.  I bought the game on Steam, played it, and loved it.  Now I am looking forward to the sequel.

The XCOM reboot is another example.  Again, I hated the original XCOM.  I knew the original got good reviews, but it was not my type of game.  So no amount of good reviews would have changed my mind about my preconceived opinion about the reboot.  However, I did take notice of the reboot when the first trailer came out, and I thought, hey, it looked different.  Later, I could not make up my mind if I would want to play the reboot (because I hated the original.)  So I checked out the Let's Play videos.  I liked what I saw.  I bought the game, and loved it.

So people can actually find out a lot about a game from Let's Play videos.

I have never played a Dragon Age game for various reason.  I have watched the Let's Play of Dragon Age: Inquisition, just to see if the videos would change my mind.  Honestly, even their Let's Play videos was boring.  I kinda skipped around and watched different parts of the game.  The gameplay and story failed to  keep my attention and interest.  The story, characters and gameplay just seemed so... bland, perfunctory and formulaic.    The videos actually dissuade me from buying and playing Dragon Age: Inquisition.   For me, Let's Play videos help me make the decision that Dragon Age: Inquisition is a pass.

On the other hand, I am following a Let's Play series of The Witcher 3.  I also have not played The Witcher 3.  However, unlike Dragon Age: Inquisition, the Let's Play series of The Witcher 3 have been very entertaining to watch.  So I know The Witcher 3 is a game I want to play.   So I do not have to have played a game to know if it is boring or not.

Edited by ktchong

Did you BUY DAI? If not, how do you know that you would have found it "boring as hell"? I quite enjoyed it, despite the faults mentioned in reviews. If you did buy it WTF did you waste your money on a game you think "is boring as hell"?! Do you have unlimited time and money to waste?!

Yes, I did.  And you're taking what I said out of context.  I said the sidequests were boring as hell, thus dragging down an otherwise solid main quest, especially when trying to attempt a second play through.  If you stuck to the main story, DAI is quite fun.  But it gets bogged down by crappy sidequests if you attempt to play every quest you get, instead of just sticking to the main story.

Also, I'm not entirely sure what your point is.  I was commenting on you saying that people need to buy a game before they can decide if it might interest them.  I was pointing out that there are ways to see if a game might appeal to you before buying.  In my case, I liked the previous games, so I didn't need to do some "pre-scouting" because I was already going to purchase it.  The scenario we were discussing was about someone who did NOT like a previous installment, and thus had concerns about the newest version.  If someone was burned by a previous game in the series, there are ways for them to see whether the new game will appeal to them or whether it will be the same old, same old, without having to buy it first.

Edited by GhostofAnakin

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"Last time I looked, Canadians where Americans."

Kanadians are NORTH Amerikans. Amerikans are Amerikans - our neighbours to the South.  Only toolbags refer to Kanadians as Amerikans.

\"I quite accept that for some players the Witcher character may suit their personalties better than the Inquisitor character. I have heard it said before that Canadian culture has a lot in common with British."\

Nah. not really. We don't make a habit of sailing around the world enslaving the world. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I find watching other people play games on YouTube as boring as hell, regardless of what game they are playing.

Then he said my comprehension is not good enough to understand the game story, so maybe it also isn't good enough to understand his point.  

That's actually exactly it. I overestimated you. It won't happen again.

Malc got it. That's enough. Have fun with your Playboy and Hooters.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Geez, when did mkreku get so serious? mkranky might be a better nickname.

I am in Vegas, so my options are much better than Hooters and Playboy. I am poolside staring at boobs as we speak. It is very mature and serious stuff. :p

• Like 1

Geez, when did mkreku get so serious? mkranky might be a better nickname.

I am in Vegas, so my options are much better than Hooters and Playboy. I am poolside staring at boobs as we speak. It is very mature and serious stuff. :p

when somebody uses "sjw" in a post about why witcher is keen, we know it is okie dokie to ignore the post... and the poster.

is nothing wrong with b00bs and blood in a fantasy story.  conan the barbarian is still our favorite fantasy movie.  is nothing prudish 'bout our tastes.  sadly, there is folks who mistake a mature rating for mature story... and there ain't nothing particular noble or profound 'bout gratuitous violence and sex.  what kinda bizarro opposite-world do we live in where adding comic quantities o' b00bs and blood adds to legitimacy?  wanna use a clockwork orange and the postman always rings twice as examples o' media that is arguable mature?  hell, use fight club as such an example.  michelangelo put naked folks on the ceiling o' the sistine chapel, and he made man as beautiful as God.  that were a profound statement. witcher?  HA!

honest, any yutz that brings up sjw or other similar nonsense as some kinda argument to support witcher quality deserves a swift hard kick to the temple with a steel-toed boot.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There seems to be a lot of tension in this thread and I can guarantee you I know the reason. Very few of you have accepted and embraced Bioware Romance like us Promancers have  :wub:

If you did that I'm sure you will find yourselves more content with life  and just a lot less grumpy 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

when somebody uses "sjw" in a post about why witcher is keen, we know it is okie dokie to ignore the post... and the poster.

is nothing wrong with b00bs and blood in a fantasy story.  conan the barbarian is still our favorite fantasy movie.  is nothing prudish 'bout our tastes.  sadly, there is folks who mistake a mature rating for mature story... and there ain't nothing particular noble or profound 'bout gratuitous violence and sex.  what kinda bizarro opposite-world do we live in where adding comic quantities o' b00bs and blood adds to legitimacy?  wanna use a clockwork orange and the postman always rings twice as examples o' media that is arguable mature?  hell, use fight club as such an example.  michelangelo put naked folks on the ceiling o' the sistine chapel, and he made man as beautiful as God.  that were a profound statement. witcher?  HA!

honest, any yutz that brings up sjw or other similar nonsense as some kinda argument to support witcher quality deserves a swift hard kick to the temple with a steel-toed boot.

HA! Good Fun!

Well, most tout the setting and nature of some of the quests to be mature for a game, rather than what you're running with there.

As for wishing death on posting habits, hm...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

HA! Good Fun!

Well, most tout the setting and nature of some of the quests to be mature for a game, rather than what you're running with there.

As for wishing death on posting habits, hm...

the setting and nature o' the quests is touted as mature 'cause o' the misbegotten notion that blood and b00bs is mature.  

*snort*

yes, even the most obtuse sjw hating clown is self-aware enough to realize that b00bs and blood is not compelling reasons to label witcher mature.  how idiotic would one have to be to posit "i like boobies" as the foundation o' their defense o' witcher maturity?  duh. setting?  *chuckle*  'least that were better than the more nebulous nature bit, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Not every game can be as mature as Skyrim's approach to marriage, where all you need is a necklace to wear around your neck that says "I'm on the market"!

the setting and nature o' the quests is touted as mature 'cause o' the misbegotten notion that blood and b00bs is mature.  

*snort*

yes, even the most obtuse sjw hating clown is self-aware enough to realize that b00bs and blood is not compelling reasons to label witcher mature.  how idiotic would one have to be to posit "i like boobies" as the foundation o' their defense o' witcher maturity?  duh. setting?  *chuckle*  'least that were better than the more nebulous nature bit, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

Hm, not really from what I've read, but carry on.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

*snort*

HA! Good Fun!

Hm, not really from what I've read, but carry on.

*shrug*

people can be kinda selective in their reading when they disagree.

that being said, we didn't play the third witcher installment, so perhaps this game represents a sea change in writing for the franchise.  

HA! Good Fun!

I'm sorry but you guys can't honestly tell me that you can objectively compare the two RPG's .....and I mean even for the RPG element

You can compare

• Skyrim and Risen
  • Witcher 3 and Skyrim
  • DA:I and BG: EE
  • Gothic 3 and Morrowind
  • Fallout 3 and Stalker 
  • DA:I and Drakensang

:aiee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sorry Bruce - it's late and I might be misunderstanding you here. Why wouldn't you be able to compare the two? If anything they make the perfect comparison, don't they? Two established narrative-driven role-playing franchises, both transitioning to the next generation and both introducing open world mechanics. There are different RPG elements at play, sure, but I think there's enough common ground for us to make an assessment.

Edited by Tel Aviv

Both have a huge budget, and hence required to appeal to a lowest-common-denominator mass audience...

Pity i'm off to Heathrow in a few hours, this thread is bound to be good, ah well enjoy the arguing over the next few weeks. Please remember to mention the sex cards.

Well you've got to admit, I was right.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It wouldn't be hard to have better side quests that DA:I, since it has pretty much the worst ever included in a single player game. But it dosn't matter how good the quests are in Witcher 3, I'm not spending good money on it if I can't abide playing Witcher 2. I quite accept that for some players the Witcher character may suit their personalties better than the Inquisitor character. I have heard it said before that Canadian culture has a lot in common with British.

Canadian culture is just delusion that they're better than Americans

America holds the title for most Unhealthily Egotistical Country.

• Like 1

our opinion o' the USA went up substantial after spending near 2 years in europe.  we were educated at one o' the more liberal-minded universities in the US where we were taught that the State were evil and incompetent.  'course our first thirteen years (and summers thereafter) living in a place that makes gaza look like a vacation destination did not provide us with a particular positive opinion o' the US either.

is a quote from danny elfman that resonates with us.  yeah, danny elfman, the composer and former front-man o' oingo boingo.  go figure. the musician spent years abroad touring europe and africa and while his background and Gromnir's is worlds apart, we appear to have had similar revelations.

"I'm not a doomist. My attitude is always to be critical of what's around you, but not ever to forget how lucky we are. I've traveled around the world. I left thinking I was a revolutionary. I came back real right-wing patriotic. Since then, I've kind of mellowed in between. It affected me permanently and totally."

we studied/taught abroad in europe, and we make yearly trips to asia (mostly japan.)  am suspecting that if we had never left the US for extended periods o' time, we would still be a "revolutionary."

HA! Good Fun!

I'm sorry but you guys can't honestly tell me that you can objectively compare the two RPG's .....and I mean even for the RPG element

You can compare

• Skyrim and Risen
  • Witcher 3 and Skyrim
  • DA:I and BG: EE
  • Gothic 3 and Morrowind
  • Fallout 3 and Stalker 
  • DA:I and Drakensang

:aiee:

Of all the wacky posts in this thread, this one makes the least sense.

• Like 1

our opinion o' the USA went up substantial after spending near 2 years in europe.  we were educated at one o' the more liberal-minded universities in the US where we were taught that the State were evil and incompetent.  'course our first thirteen years (and summers thereafter) living in a place that makes gaza look like a vacation destination did not provide us with a particular positive opinion o' the US either.

is a quote from danny elfman that resonates with us.  yeah, danny elfman, the composer and former front-man o' oingo boingo.  go figure. the musician spent years abroad touring europe and africa and while his background and Gromnir's is worlds apart, we appear to have had similar revelations.

"I'm not a doomist. My attitude is always to be critical of what's around you, but not ever to forget how lucky we are. I've traveled around the world. I left thinking I was a revolutionary. I came back real right-wing patriotic. Since then, I've kind of mellowed in between. It affected me permanently and totally."

we studied/taught abroad in europe, and we make yearly trips to asia (mostly japan.)  am suspecting that if we had never left the US for extended periods o' time, we would still be a "revolutionary."

HA! Good Fun!

It depends, experiences vary on an indiviudal basis. Naturally.

I would assume most people from the US studying in Europe, do so in England due to the same language. Obviously England doesn´t represent Europe, nor does Japan represent the whole Asian zone. It´s also easy to find the bad sides of a country/place from the outside, because they stick out to the eye. Keeping your view objective is difficult, but very rewarding i think.

Patriotism just clouds the view in my opinin ;)

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."