Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

I think different people cared for different reasons, but that may be just me. ;)

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm not sure why some other people cared so much, but indie games pay my rent so it's a pretty big deal to me.

Didn't you run into an issue once when you tried to include women in a bar because your boss thought the reaction would be over the top?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

In a endless runner/racing game for mobiles, yeah. There were no female characters, but we had some female models fitting the style lying around from another game. One of the menus was a bar setting, and I worked them in there. Since they were the only women, and they were in a bar, my boss made me take them out because "we are representing women as drunks". There's a culture of fear.

I'm not working there currently because I decided to finish school but the money I saved working there is why I'm able to do that.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's pretty damn scary to be eviscerated because a blogger has an issue with something you made. Good luck man.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Anyone can be a knitter, knitting doesn't need you anyone. Knitters are over"

Hah, I'm in stitches over that one. It's a good thing we have the Knitgaters to needle the journalist into ethical yarning. We can't let them pull the wool over our eyes.

They've followed the loose threads to blanket corruption.

It goes all the way to the top: the lords of the sewing machine industry are clearly behind this. They are actively trying to erase the knitting identity as tool for utter dominance.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"Anyone can be a knitter, knitting doesn't need you anyone. Knitters are over"

Hah, I'm in stitches over that one. It's a good thing we have the Knitgaters to needle the journalist into ethical yarning. We can't let them pull the wool over our eyes.

They've followed the loose threads to blanket corruption.

It goes all the way to the top: the lords of the sewing machine industry are clearly behind this. They are actively trying to erase the knitting identity as tool for utter dominance.

So they're taking knitting apart at the seams?

• Like 2

I'm not sure why some other people cared so much, but indie games pay my rent so it's a pretty big deal to me.

am still not certain why personal relationships o' game journalists and developers/producers would result in surprise or consternation, but regardless, am glad you are now only speaking for yourself while before you were explaining the reasons why people were or were not surprised and angered.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Was anyone surprised?

To continue the knitting puns, I ask how the corrupt were bought: I assume it was in purls.

Yes I know it isn't spelled correctly, oh please yourselves, titter ye not.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

No. The reason why I am pro GG is because I always get annoyed - it's a eprsonal quirk - when someone claims I am dead and claims they will murder me.  My bad.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Was anyone surprised?

you mean other than neutral?  dunno.  neutral "freaked out" 'cause indie game coverage were the "one thing" he did trust from game journalists. 

*shrug*

am always reminded o' the movie quiz show. the movie, which were well directed and exceptional acted, attempts to tell us that our innocence, America's innocence, were lost when we, as a nation, discovered that a popular tv game show were rigged to achieve better ratings.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I didn't freak out. I was at least vaguely aware that this kind of stuff happened - there was no other explanation for how randomly indie games were covered. I also know that game developers can buy comments, reviews and votes on steam and gaming websites because I used to work for a guy who bought them (of course, whether those offering those services are related to the platforms they mass bot-vote on I don't know). I've been following this #GamerGate thing from the beginning and what I said was simply my observation as to why people cared this time as opposed to all the other times games media blatantly lied about the quality of game they were advertising. I didn't really care myself until later, when the whole IndieCade racket and mass blacklisting by game journalists things started coming to light. That's something that actually affects me. If I recall I initially called people who cared idiots.

EDIT: To be fair, I have been upset at things that didn't affect me during this thing. IGDA blacklisting, for one, before I realized that if I were blacklisted by IGDA (and probably am) it would mean absolutely jack **** because IGDA is nothing.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Sorta gamergate-related; The Ashley Madison leak includes several people in the gaming industry: http://pastebin.com/VsuPKhKE

The industry is filled with a bunch of cheaters, thanks uncle /pol/ for the digging!

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Sorta gamergate-related; The Ashley Madison leak includes several people in the gaming industry: http://pastebin.com/VsuPKhKE

The industry is filled with a bunch of cheaters, thanks uncle /pol/ for the digging!

I'd take that with a grain of salt unless the people actually admit to it. Someone signed our Prime Minister up to the site, there's no authentication required.

I'd take that with a grain of salt unless the people actually admit to it. Someone signed our Prime Minister up to the site, there's no authentication required.

They can be cross-referenced with credit cards, location and registered names and surnames. So don't be too surprised if some of them are genuine.

Moar from SPJAirplay: http://imgur.com/a/XkW0x

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Someone explain to me what Ashley Madison actually is?

It's a dating site for people in relationships who want to have an affair.

Someone explain to me what Ashley Madison actually is?

Its a dating website ...you get together for one night stands basically

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But its not just for married people 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wow THAT many married people are this stupid? You're going to cheat and what you do is put that up on the internet where nothing is ever forgotten. BRILLIANT!

I believe they're under the impression it's discrete, although I do find the idea of a married couple encountering each other on the site funny.

Wow THAT many married people are this stupid? You're going to cheat and what you do is put that up on the internet where nothing is ever forgotten. BRILLIANT!

No you  right, you don't need to use your real details ....it is stupid 

John Milton 

While I have little sympathy for cheaters there's a bit of victim blaming in attacking them for being stupid when it's the website that told them it was discrete who didn't have enough security to stop hackers from accessing and releasing all their data. :shrugz: