What you did today

Blarghagh

Oh no young grasshopper ...you cant just drop a post like that without some explanation !!!

What happened to the new life in Germany?  Wait I can guess...you suddenly got to Germany and realized..." you don't understand a word of German? Its a perfectly normal mistake to make not realizing that German is different to ...Australian  wink.png

Its that or the fact you don't like Eisbein ?

I just don't thrive in big cities. I thought I could adapt and adjust to it and gave it a full year. But in the end, I just hate it. Moving to an area that is way more "open" and less claustrophobic for a country bumpkin like me :)

when Gromnir finally retires, which we have threatened to do for a couple years, we will likely move to some remote part o' idaho.  as much as am wanting access to city restaurants and entertainment options, am still most comfortable living miles from anything. likely gotta get rid o' the bmw and buy a ford pickup old enough that we could actual maintain and fix... something with a carburetor.  a two-hour drive distant from a smallish city would be nice... far enough that at night we cannot see city lights in the distance.  spend a week or two in chicago or new york each year to get our city fix. 

HA! Good Fun!

Your post kind of reminds me of this scene from the Hunt for Red October:

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

disappointed

:unsure:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

First day at work after a three week vacation and I get to work 10 hours. You'd think that they'd go easy on you on your first day back.

Came home 2 minutes before Liverpool played, so I just lay down on the couch and watched us play poorly but win anyway. Me and my brother are both nervous about the next game. Our teams play each other. We have two cousins. In that case, there is also one Liverpool fan and one Arsenal fan. Might watch it with them if circumstances allow it.

Back home

Italy was great. My favorite thing was probably either the grand canal in Venice or the views from Positano and my least favorite thing was all the smokers. The friendliest chimneys I've had the luck to come across. If you go, try the fish and don't forget to tip your waitress. (Everyone I tipped was actually pretty thankful)

Off tomorrow then back at it on Wednesday

• Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

People on the interwebz like this transparency thingie, or so I am told.

So here is my transparency:

Guests paid today, and for the first time I got paid using a credit card (they said if I prefered they'd do cash, but I have to learn to accept card payments sometime).

The amound payable by the guests was 445 euros.

15% is the comission taken by booking -> -66,75 euros

Online payment portal took a 2,45% -> -11,08 euros

-> 367,33 euros for me.

From which I'll pay the cleaning lady, water and electricity.

Last electric bill was 311 euros for 6 weeks (111 euros electricity and 200 euroes various dues and taxes for the city/council).

Waterbill this month was abnormally low at 15 euros.

I'll have to pay the part time cleaning lady (at the moment things are still slow, so no point in full time staff). She asks for 5 euros an hour but we settled for 6 and I usually round up to the closest 10 so I won't feel as if I was exploiting her too much.

At some point I'll be taxed, currently 6% until end of summer (when it will go up to 13%)

So not much left from that, but at least the running costs seem mostly covered. (waiting for phone/internet bill)

/end insight into melkathi's life

What about your other monthly  expenses like insurance, the levy, bond repayments, food bills etc. 

How do you factor those into overall profitability? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That sucks man. Selling your body to science an option?

Have to be dead for that first.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

disappointed

:unsure:

Oh sorry this post had nothing to do with our discussion, it was addressed to someone else and I was suppose to edit it but got distracted and never finished :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What about your other monthly  expenses like insurance, the levy, bond repayments, food bills etc. 

How do you factor those into overall profitability? 

Insurance I am still working on.

The costs to build the place were such that the full calculations exceed my transparency needs :)

Though as I only just got started I am happy that I can pay my bills and every day expenses. Calculations for real profitability will probably have to wait 'till next year where hopefully I'll have a full and better high season.

As we'll go I'll have to figure certain things out :)

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Sorting through my ipod, rather amused to find I have 9 versions of Guerilla Radio, too many live ones, I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Its pretty late now and I could not sleep because for some reason my nose was completely blocked while running like a tap. My nose spray was empty and I ran out of salt. What to do?   :getlost: 

Mouth wash. In my desperation I took my most potent mouth wash and snorted it through my nose, holy crap, you could wake up someone from the deepest coma that way.

If cocaine makes your nose bleed this stuff would make your nose fall off after couple of times. 

But t worked better than the best nose spray, all those germs instantly died in the fiery caustic inferno, my nose is free and working again. 

Though in retrospect I think thinning that stuff would have been a wise idea.  :sweat:

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I can't stand even water going up my nose, and I can barely handle mouth wash in just my mouth...I would choke, violently cough, asphyxiate and die if I did that. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It wasn't a pleasant experience for sure but having a completely blocked running nose is even more awful. Whats a few moments of agony comped to a sleepless night with a horribly stuffed nose that is leaking awfulness on both ends? 

I'd rather take the stuffy nose. But then again, I'd also cough my lungs out before taking cough syrup, too, ;). I'm very sensitive/weak in regards to tastes, smells, and textures I hate. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Its pretty late now and I could not sleep because for some reason my nose was completely blocked while running like a tap. My nose spray was empty and I ran out of salt. What to do?   :getlost: 

Mouth wash. In my desperation I took my most potent mouth wash and snorted it through my nose, holy crap, you could wake up someone from the deepest coma that way.

If cocaine makes your nose bleed this stuff would make your nose fall off after couple of times. 

But t worked better than the best nose spray, all those germs instantly died in the fiery caustic inferno, my nose is free and working again. 

Though in retrospect I think thinning that stuff would have been a wise idea.  :sweat:

Next time, just eat and smell a bunch of hot sauce. Wasabi works best. Your nose will run like a maniac for a couple of minutes and then clear up.

I can recommend a hearty Vindaloo for a blocked nose. Best ingested through your mouth though, not the nostrils ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

In addition, Vick's works very well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Got me a cat from the animal shelter. I gave her the name ''Shade'', she is female and approx 3 months old, intelligent, a fast learner and extremely elegant. We already get along really well. 

DSCF29501gc_zpsdezy7y2h.jpg

• Like 4

Iirc, you recently got a dog too. How are they getting along?

Well, here I have to man up and admit I have failed with the dog. It was one of those case were animal and owner couldn't create a tight bond, which does happen. Fortunately I realized it soon enough and brought her back to the breeder, according to the last information I got a lady bought her and they're both really happy.
  • Like 2

It happens. I think it's usually better if it happens that way, really: better to bring them back and give them a chance at finding another home than to hang on to them for too long while fruitlessly trying to make it work...destroys opportunities for them (and probably for yourself, too). Keeping them while it's not working also opens up the possibility of screwing up their general behavior/personality, which can hurt their chances even more...though it depends on how badly it's "not working", of course.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

Exactly. I had an extensive talk with the breeder and people I trust who own dogs and even though it was a very hard decision it was the right one for us both. And no harm done, thats what counts.