XCOM 2

NOK222

There is the strat geoscape but revamped. Instead of waiting for various events you are now driving which way to explore what sort of missions to go to and which "alien goals" to disrupt, slow down or even completly destroy. It seems to give way more agency to the player which i like. On the other hand they ditched the interception minigame due to the gameplay and setting features.

Alternate reality in which we got decimated early on according to ign

Sounds plausible. Found the first game so bad I threw the towel in the ring before finishing it. Trust those sneaky aliens to not go home and give it a rest in a gentlemanly manner.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sounds plausible. Found the first game so bad I threw the towel in the ring before finishing it. Trust those sneaky aliens to not go home and give it a rest in a gentlemanly manner.

Did they thwart us during our tea break like those pesky Romans? 

Did they thwart us during our tea break like those pesky Romans? 

yes, they did. they even spilled the milk!

• Like 1

The XCOM Long War mod 1.0 was just released. 

Features include:

• An expanded and much longer campaign driven by a dynamic alien AI harvesting Earth's resources and looking for weaknesses in Earth's defenses
  • Eight soldier classes: Infantry, Assault, Sniper, Scout, Gunner, Rocketeer, Medic and Engineer, and eight MEC classes: Valkyre, Marauder, Jaeger, Pathfinder, Goliath, Archer, Guardian and Shogun
  • English-accent voicepacks for soldiers from England, Scotland, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, Southeast Asia and more
  • New and modified perks, including Ranger, Sapper, Lock N'Load, HEAT Warheads, Fire in the Hole, Tandem Warheads, Hit and Run, and Javelin Rockets
  • New and modified technologies and foundry projects, including Gauss Weapons, Alien Biocybernetics, and Advanced Aerospace Concepts
  • Five tiers of XCOM weaponry, new armors for soldiers and MECS, and dozens of new equippable secondary items
  • Earlier access to psionics and an expanded psionics tree
  • A system of promoting XCOM officers who provide abilities that help your entire squad
  • A fatigue mechanism for soldiers requiring you to build a much deeper roster of personnel
  • A modified interception game that requires careful management by the player, and five new UFO classes, including the Fighter, Destroyer, Harvester and Assault Carrier
  • An alien research system that allows them to field tougher enemies, who have better stats and perks
  • Modified second wave options to support longer and shorter campaigns
  • Vastly expanded modding capabilities with many game values controlled in ini file

Version 1.0 of Long War was released on Dec. 28, 2015. It is available for free for PC, Mac and Linux systems. 

http://www.longwarstudios.com/xcomlongwareuew.htm

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I may not always agree with some of the core philosophy behind the mod, the numbers don't lie: I racked up perhaps around 100 hours of vanilla XCOM and its expansion, and 200+ hours of Long War and counting.

Perhaps just as significant as the changes themselves is the vastly improved user-moddability that has been done almost as a side-effect of their changes. I remember having to do some hex-editing of the executable back in the day just to make a tiny change, nowadays the same change would literally take 10 seconds. (For those who haven't looked, most things you'd ever want to change and more are in plain text in DefaultGameCore.ini)

So yeah, worth every cent and more. I donated $20 and it still feels like a steal.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

As a whole, I think this might be the greatest reboot of a classic franchise I have seen.  Jagged Alliance failed, and while I enjoy Fallout a bit, it isn't anything close to the original.  I have more confidence in XCom than anything else going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else watched Beaglerush stream XCom 2 modded preview build last night? Also thoughts on some recent reveals by Firaxis (yesterday stream and press releases)

No, but I will now that you mentioned it.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

All youtube 'content creators' are varying degrees of obnoxious. 

It's always a bit of a problem sounding credible while making a really good living doing something practically any idiot could do. On balance I think he does a fine job sounding brittish while reviewing games. Don't be so jealous. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Jealous of what?

I enjoy Beagle's videos since he actually knows how to play XCOM and therefor can showcase features and possibilities. I enjoy Quill's videos because he is a nice guy. I dislike TB's because the only discerning feature of his vids is his accent, while info-wise I get nothing out of them (don't get anything accent wise out of it either, as I got my own British accent :p ). I think it is clever that he makes a point of not knowing the games he plays - makes it easy for fans to defend him.

The thing I really can't watch though are Angry Joe videos. That I really am not the target audience for.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

It's always a bit of a problem sounding credible while making a really good living doing something practically any idiot could do.

Well... Not necessarily, producing content of decent quality is not simple. I've discussed this with a few minor youtube people - a big part of their videos quite simply ends up in the trash and never gets released because they don't meet the quality standard they're trying to set on their channels. Writing, proper video editing, not to mention playing and replaying the same thing to get good footage... Their working hours can get insane and that's in spite of it being work on sitting on your butt at home. Besides, I'd go mad if I had to spend 8 hours a day playing videogames. Not saying it's a difficult job per se, but there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Then there are people like Angry Joe who I personally can't stand, but actually have relatively high production values for youtubers.

Oh there's plenty of info in TB's videos, he does actually know his **** - however, he rambles on a lot, so it's pretty much impossible to watch his videos without doing something else in the process while filtering out the actually useful stuff. Funnily enough, he tried to do heavily edited videos and his fans hated it, so... Gotta agree tho, Beagle's coverage of XCOM has so far the best I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of XCOM videos. Edited by Fenixp