So, does anoyone use 1-handed style, no shield?

Seriously, will no one answer my question about whether the style's graze to hit bonus stacks with the fighter ability Confident Aim's graze to hit bonus?

I would assume that they stack, given that the Active Abilities list doesn't show either one as suppressed. I have that setup on an Eder with Flail equipped for about 70%-80% graze to hit conversion rate.

Regarding 1 handed style, an easy way to make it better would be to apply the bonus to:

1. Graze to Hit
  2. Hit to Crit

That way you get some type of bonus for higher accuracy characters.

View, thanks for at least responding to my simple question.

As for the rest, not a bad idea.  But to be honest, I think that I like my idea even better.  My idea is a lot more radical though.

I'd do away with all the weapon focuses, specializations, and masteries.  "OMG!  What did he say????"  :blink:   Yep, you read right.

What I suggest doing is replacing all those constricting weapon groups with an emphasis on the 4 fighting styles instead.  (Actually, there might need to be additional ones to handle ranged weapons, but I'll skip that for now and focus only on melee weapons.)

Each of the STYLES would have 3 levels of proficiency.  I don't like the terms "focus" and "specialization", but mastery is fine.  Maybe say that a person with 1 point in a style is "Adept".  2 points in a style is "Journeyman".  And 3 points is "Mastery".  Something like that.  "Weapon Specialization" is wayyyyyy too modern and too techie sounding.  Moving on...

Each style would give similar bonuses.  Bonuses in defense, accuracy, damage, attack speed, since I assume that each style is teaching one how to fight with these things in mind.  Each style shouldn't be about only one little thing.  An Adept might learn enough to get +2 Accuracy and +2 Defl in their style.  And then perhaps a Journeyman might learn enough more to get another +2 Accuracy, +2 Defl, and +10% damage in the style.  And the Master might have learned enough to get another +2 Accuracy, +2 Defl, +15% damage, and +20% Attack Speed in the style.

On top of this, don't totally limit levels of skill above Adept to the Fighter class only.  Perhaps allow Paladins, Barbarians, and Rangers (i.e. the other armed warrior classes) to be able to reach the Journeyman (i.e. 2nd) level of skill, while only true Fighter classes warriors can reach the Mastery level.   (Monks are probably a corner case here who should probably gain these skill bonuses in unarmed combat automatically through their progression through the levels.) 

If one wanted to get a little more detailed (?) or complex (?), one could argue in favor of all other classes being able to reach higher levels of style skill, but perhaps at higher class advancement levels.  That is, armed warrior classes might be able to gain Journeyman level in a Style at level 4, whereas maybe it might not be until perhaps level 6-7 before the other classes could reach Journeyman level.  And maybe non-Fighter warrior classes could reach Mastery level, but at a little higher class level than for Fighters.  For example, if a Fighter could gain Mastery in a style at level 7, maybe Paladins, Barbarians, and Rangers couldn't gain Mastery until level 9 or 10.

I see some advantages to this concept.  The first is that the groups all go away.  You're no longer tied to a bunch of groups that often seem to make no sense and are terribly limiting.  Of course, I do realize that in "reality" there are differences between using, say, a Qstaff and a great sword.  But it seems to me that with fewer "groups", there's more room for creating your own flavor without being limited by wield, made up combinations of weapons that often make no sense.  At least with these style combos, there is some sense (or at least I'd like to think there is).

Another advantage of this concept is that it's a considerable departure from the DnD model which focused on specific weapons or the current PoE model which focuses on really artificial groups of weapons that often seem to have little in common and are also very limiting when it comes to creating character concepts.

Well, anyways, that's my radical idea that will likely never see the light of day, except in a forum post.

I just glanced at the thread, and let's be clear that unless something's been changed, a Graze that is converted into a Hit cannot be converted in turn to a Crit.

So you can't score a Graze, have it converted to a Hit, and then have that Hit converted into a Crit.

Only your "natural" Grazes will be converted into Hits.

Only your "natural" Hits be converted into Crits.

The only one that should ever take the One-Handed Weapon Style Talent are tanks with shields, or anyone that for whatever reason is using a shield and has sucky Accuracy because of it. It is horrible for actual Duelists.

t50aJUd.jpg

While Dual wield generally still works out to having a bit more dps, you can probably make a separate case for Spell Striking weapons. Getting Jolting Touch from Azureith's Stiletto to proc reliably once every encounter, requires a decent crit rate. So wielding only 1 single handed weapon for +12 Accuracy and having that weapon strike every time instead of alternating between 2 weapons in Dual Wield mode, helps considerably in improving the odds that the proc occurs, especially in shorter battles.

As the damage from Jolting Touch is very significant, and weapons can be further enchanted to extend their usefulness in late game, I would not be surprised if one handed weapon builds with Spell Striking can be competitive in a good number of situations (assuming that's the only Spell Striking weapon you get).

While we're on the subject, do the graze to hit (or whatever) conversions work by extending the d100 range, or is it more like a proc?

If you do the maths, you will notice that there is no difference between those two possibilities you mentioned. The result is the same.

I don't think that's right in all cases. Let's say my accuracy is so high against some enemy that I graze on anything between 1 and 5 (so over 5 is a hit and so on). If we now add a "10%" graze to hit mechanism to that, it will do one of the following:

A) Adjust the range by 10, which would eliminate grazes entirely

B) Proc a 10% chance of conversion when you roll a 5 or less, which is of course much worse

You're right, I haven't thought of that possibility. But it's neither A) or B). It's as described above.  ;)

Edited by Zwiebelchen

While Dual wield generally still works out to having a bit more dps, you can probably make a separate case for Spell Striking weapons. Getting Jolting Touch from Azureith's Stiletto to proc reliably once every encounter, requires a decent crit rate. So wielding only 1 single handed weapon for +12 Accuracy and having that weapon strike every time instead of alternating between 2 weapons in Dual Wield mode, helps considerably in improving the odds that the proc occurs, especially in shorter battles.

As the damage from Jolting Touch is very significant, and weapons can be further enchanted to extend their usefulness in late game, I would not be surprised if one handed weapon builds with Spell Striking can be competitive in a good number of situations (assuming that's the only Spell Striking weapon you get).

they proc once per battle. crappy thing to build around

they proc once per battle. crappy thing to build around

You could also switch weapons.  Maybe have two spell strikers and one that does something like Prone or Stun on critical, Starcaller has stunning and a spell strike.

Edited by MunoValente