Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

It really is pathetic. I mean it's not as if Dwarves, Elves, men of different nationalities or everybody else is routinely insulted in the game is it? I mean at no point in the game does the protagonist get called a freak, mutant, unholy, and a whole host of other expletives. Oh wait a minute it happens every five feet as you walk around any suburban hub, and in battle they yell out much worse.

So what McIntosh's sock puppet is saying is that Ciri should recieve preferential treatment, enemies intent on gutting her should do it in a respectful manner, and that rude words should never be used around women only men.

I'm pretty sure she'd be fine if the enemies used insults at the woman as long as those insults weren't gendered insults. That is still pretty dumb, but it's not as bad as saying that the female character shouldn't be insulted at all.

Obviously a few people care, she's managed to make a decent living off of this whole tropes conversation.  I'm not sure why this is a big deal to anyone.  She has her agenda, she's been vocal about it for awhile now, and yet the industry is still producing games like The Witcher.  What is the big deal?

I have no idea why so many people care about Anita either. I personally don't care much which why I don't ever bring her up (though I do respond to some people's comments about her when I'm bored).

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Obviously a few people care, she's managed to make a decent living off of this whole tropes conversation.  I'm not sure why this is a big deal to anyone.  She has her agenda, she's been vocal about it for awhile now, and yet the industry is still producing games like The Witcher.  What is the big deal?

Aside from Obsidian I don't see any studios willing to tackle the subject matter CD Projekt does.

Edited by licketysplit

Aside from Obsidian I don't see any studios willing to tackle the subject matter CD Projekt does.

I typed in Top Ten Games of 2015 into google and I got a list like this:

TW3

Arkham Knight

Bloodborne

Dying Light

Battlefield Hardline

Metal Gear Sold V

Evolve

No Man's Sky

Halo 5

Mortal Kombat X

This list goes on and on like that.  Please tell me which one of those studios seems to actually be concerned about video game tropes.

• Like 1

It really is pathetic. I mean it's not as if Dwarves, Elves, men of different nationalities or everybody else is routinely insulted in the game is it? I mean at no point in the game does the protagonist get called a freak, mutant, unholy, and a whole host of other expletives. Oh wait a minute it happens every five feet as you walk around any suburban hub, and in battle they yell out much worse.

So what McIntosh's sock puppet is saying is that Ciri should recieve preferential treatment, enemies intent on gutting her should do it in a respectful manner, and that rude words should never be used around women only men.

I'm pretty sure she'd be fine if the enemies used insults at the woman as long as those insults weren't gendered insults. That is still pretty dumb, but it's not as bad as saying that the female character shouldn't be insulted at all.

Many of the combat taunts used against Geralt are gender specific, such as son of a whore, son of a female dog, fatherless child, i'll cut your genitalia off, genitalia-less freak and so on, so I would say that that would be even more hypocritical and idiotic, and reinforce my point even further. He wants preferential, unrealistic treatment for the ladies of the game, a hug box that treats women as delicate porcelain dolls, McIntosh's usual idiotic prattle.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

"Obviously a few people care, she's managed to make a decent living off of this whole tropes conversation.  I'm not sure why this is a big deal to anyone.  She has her agenda, she's been vocal about it for awhile now, and yet the industry is still producing games like The Witcher.  What is the big deal?"

She's an evil psychotic sexist racist  hateful liar nazi. That's a big friggin' deal. So is McIntosh. They are scumbags of the highest order. Just like Jack Thompson and let me ask... were you defending HIM when he was being mocked and criticized and called out for his bogus evil ideas?

Doubtful. What to know why? Because you are sexist who views females as weak little babies who need protection like little children. I, for one, view females as grown adults who can be treated as such which is why I have no issue treating a Sarkesian like a Thompson no matter what is between their legs.

So, again, why are you SJWs so sexist and have such a low opinion on women? Why do you think it's okay to call out Thompson or McIntosh but not Sarkessian?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So you want to censor Sarkeesian because you think she is an evil psychotic sexist racist hateful liar nazi...?

Yeah, that sounds reasonable.  *golfclap* 

Thompson was pushing for actual legislation and used the court system to push his agenda.  Sarkeesian and McIntosh aren't anywhere his weight class.  What have they actually accomplished, other than getting you to froth at the mouth?

• Like 2

Many of the combat taunts used against Geralt are gender specific, such as son of a whore, son of a female dog, fatherless child, i'll cut your genitalia off, genitalia-less freak and so on, so I would say that that would be even more hypocritical and idiotic, and reinforce my point even further. 

Then you should be glad I mentioned this which makes your point even better.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I typed in Top Ten Games of 2015 into google and I got a list like this:

TW3

Arkham Knight

Bloodborne

Dying Light

Battlefield Hardline

Metal Gear Sold V

Evolve

No Man's Sky

Halo 5

Mortal Kombat X

This list goes on and on like that.  Please tell me which one of those studios seems to actually be concerned about video game tropes.

My point was about studios covering tough topics. i have no idea what your point is supposed to be.

So you want to censor Sarkeesian because you think she is an evil psychotic sexist racist hateful liar nazi...?

Thompson was pushing for actual legislation and used the court system to push his agenda.  Sarkeesian and McIntosh aren't anywhere his weight class.  What have they actually accomplished, other than getting you to froth at the mouth?

Personally the reason I hate Anita and her ilk is because the media is pushing their agenda as "the only proper agenda". And if one business jackass at EA or Acti or Ubi decides to take what the GameJurnoPro's folks say and force their studios to slightly conform, we done got problems bro.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Like clockwork. I wonder how many journalists will retweet or favourite this?

QHEFMWs.png

1433102057815.gif

LMAO, perfect follow up GIF. Wallow in your misery Anita, no one cares.

McIntosh runs the twitter account

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

"So you want to censor Sarkeesian because you think she is an evil psychotic sexist racist hateful liar nazi...?

Thompson was pushing for actual legislation and used the court system to push his agenda.  Sarkeesian and McIntosh aren't anywhere his weight class.  What have they actually accomplished, other than getting you to froth at the mouth?"

I notice how you are STILL all about defending poor weak Sarkessian but not Thompson. LMAO Still sexist as ever.

Personally the reason I hate Anita and her ilk is because the media is pushing their agenda as "the only proper agenda". And if one business jackass at EA or Acti or Ubi decides to take what the GameJurnoPro's folks say and force their studios to slightly conform, we done got problems bro.

I have no problem with criticizing her, but I just don't see any evidence that her agenda is succeeding (or is even all that focused.)  Jack Thompson was bringing lawsuits against these companies, she's putting together youtube videos and tweets.  She just doesn't do it for me as public enemy number 1.   :p

Publisher's don't care about her agenda, they care about the profits.  I listed a bunch of games from 2015 earlier, they are pretty much all violent and geared towards male gamers.  It doesn't bother me, that's the business.  That is what will sell.  That is all the publishers care about.

Edited by Hurlshot

Why feminist frequency is dead wrong about the witcher 3 by Erik kain of Forbes.

Art is not supposed to serve a political agenda. That’s what propaganda is for. Art does and should deal with real world issues, make us think, challenge us. What it shouldn’t do is simply confirm our biases. Fortunately, The Witcher 3 does no such thing.

Could this be? Could this finally be the moment when actual industry people start to call FF for their bull****?

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Why feminist frequency is dead wrong about the witcher 3 by Erik kain of Forbes.

Art is not supposed to serve a political agenda. That’s what propaganda is for. Art does and should deal with real world issues, make us think, challenge us. What it shouldn’t do is simply confirm our biases. Fortunately, The Witcher 3 does no such thing.

Could this be? Could this finally be the moment when actual industry people start to call FF for their bull****?

The article itself linkes to this: https://medium.com/@adrianchm/feminist-frequency-and-the-witcher-3-6b126d3d6206

Dear lord, what happened to the graphics in Witcher 3 btw? That just looks appaling :(

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I have no problem with criticizing her, but I just don't see any evidence that her agenda is succeeding (or is even all that focused.)  Jack Thompson was bringing lawsuits against these companies, she's putting together youtube videos and tweets.  She just doesn't do it for me as public enemy number 1.   :p

Publisher's don't care about her agenda, they care about the profits.  I listed a bunch of games from 2015 earlier, they are pretty much all violent and geared towards male gamers.  It doesn't bother me, that's the business.  That is what will sell.  That is all the publishers care about.

Hurlshot has summarized my view on this latest incident

I have asked a question several times and no one supporting GG on this thread was able to respond ( and yes there are people on this thread who do respond to me )

The question was simple one " name 3 games that have changed and impacted your gaming experience due to SJ pressure " 

And guess what? No evidence to support this apparent pernicious SJ influence

So for me its like you guys wait for comments from people like Anita, then you all get "outraged and offended " despite the fact its just her view and doesn't really translate to any meaningful changes by publishers

So then I have to ask " whats the reason behind this anti-Anita sentiment " ?

That should be the real question you guys need to ask yourselves :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"they are pretty much all violent and geared towards male gamers. "

More sexism by a SJW.

"The question was simple one " name 3 games that have changed and impacted your gaming experience due to SJ pressure "

Any modern BIO game, PE, Hatred just to name 2 games + more.

"So then I have to ask " whats the reason behind this anti-Anita sentiment " ?"

This has also been explained. She (and McIntosh) are racist sexist hateful scumbag lying nazis who view women as weak children who need to be babied.Plus they threatened to murder me and also claimed I was dead which is a bold faced lie.

"That should be the real question you guys need to ask yourselves"

The real question is why do you have a double standard and a need to whitenight for women you find 'weak' (very insulting) when, no doubt, you had absolutely NO issue with the  all the crap that got thrown at one Jack Thompson.

P.S. German nazis never did anything to me but I still am very much anti nazi. Same with jack the ripper, mothers who muder their newborn chidlren for gigglrs, rapists, ISIS, etc. :)

Edited by Volourn

"they are pretty much all violent and geared towards male gamers. "

More sexism by a SJW.

"The question was simple one " name 3 games that have changed and impacted your gaming experience due to SJ pressure "

Any modern BIO game, PE, Hatred just to name 2 games + more.

"So then I have to ask " whats the reason behind this anti-Anita sentiment " ?"

This has also been explained. She (and McIntosh) are racist sexist hateful scumbag lying nazis who view women as weak children who need to be babied.Plus they threatened to murder me and also claimed I was dead which is a bold faced lie.

So lets focus on the games you mentioned, what exactly have SJW changed that has impacted your gaming experience?

Is it the limerick being removed that has now caused you  not to  enjoy PoE? Or maybe you can't exactly find the ideal Romance partner in DAI because you don't find the Romance options attractive? You need to give me examples Volo....generalizations don't help 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have asked a question several times and no one supporting GG on this thread was able to respond ( and yes there are people on this thread who do respond to me )

The question was simple one " name 3 games that have changed and impacted your gaming experience due to SJ pressure " 

So for me its like you guys wait for comments from people like Anita, then you all get "outraged and offended " despite the fact its just her view and doesn't really translate to any meaningful changes by publishers

Stop being silly. Should we have to wait for the frog to be cooked before saying that boiling water will kill it? But thanks to Gamergate, it will not happen in the close future because the insidious ****s have been exposed and are running with their tails between their legs. You should be happy that the cancer is gone, why do you wish for it to grow? :)

Now, name three games that have been changed due to reactionary pressure.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Stop being silly. Should we have to wait for the frog to be cooked before saying that boiling water will kill it? But thanks to Gamergate, it will not happen in the close future because the insidious ****s have been exposed and are running with their tails between their legs. You should be happy that the cancer is gone, why do you wish for it to grow? :)

None, I can't name 3 games which is exactly my point. Its false outrage that you guys are expressing because the objectives of Anita don't really translate to anything that directly effects your gaming experience 

John Milton 

None, I can't name 3 games which is exactly my point. Its false outrage that you guys are expressing because the objectives of Anita don't really translate to anything that directly effects your gaming experience 

lol

Hear that whimper? It's the sound of social justice trying to sound reasonable. Best of luck, may your women be treated as infantilized idols, minorities treated as helpless victims and everything normal as monstreous.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

"So lets focus on the games you mentioned, what exactly have SJW changed that has impacted your gaming experience?

Is it the limerick being removed that has now caused you  not to  enjoy PoE? Or maybe you can't exactly find the ideal Romance partner in DAI because you don't find the Romance options attractive? You need to give me examples Volo....generalizations don't help"

Don't change the goalposts. Your challenge was name 3 games. I did. BIO games 9DA3 as a specific example), PE, and Hatred. There. Those are the three. Now don't cry and try to change the game midstream.

I think its a bunch of factors. Its more the fear that she could change things that drives the hate. Gamers acknowledge that the online community is only a small part of the actual audience, but at the same time tend to subconciously view it as the entire audience. So when every game site holds her up as some sort of righteous crusader for all that is good and right, and if you disagree with her you're some lowly scumbag, she looks like she has a lot more influence than she does. Especially when people who have nothing to do with gaming or gamers grab on to her cause while the people trying to debunk her are looked at as awful subhumans and their points aren't even examined.

Film is similar yet different. There are artsy films, the equivalent of Gone Home or Depression Quest that get all the rave reviews and are looked at as important, but no one watches them because they don't appeal to most people. Movie fans don't freak out about it because most of the film media is all about the big blockbuster entertaining movies that people actually watch. If Entertainment Tonight started talking about how movies are garbage and need to grow up and the Lord of the Rings movies are horrible misogynist messes that propogate rape culture, and everything should be more like *insert critically acclaimed art film that everyone hates*, I'm pretty sure there would be a #MovieGate too.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"So lets focus on the games you mentioned, what exactly have SJW changed that has impacted your gaming experience?

Is it the limerick being removed that has now caused you  not to  enjoy PoE? Or maybe you can't exactly find the ideal Romance partner in DAI because you don't find the Romance options attractive? You need to give me examples Volo....generalizations don't help"

Don't change the goalposts. Your challenge was name 3 games. I did. BIO games 9DA3 as a specific example), PE, and Hatred. There. Those are the three. Now don't cry and try to change the game midstream.

Incorrect I said " name 3 games that have changed and have impacted your gaming experience "

You named 3 games but failed to mention how SJ influence has impacted your gaming experience. So go back and think about this for a while...if you are honest you will come to the same irrefutable conclusion that I have come to. SJ sentiment is real and exists but it hasn't changed the way games are designed to the point where it has effected your gaming experience 

You know I'm right Volo...you just need to say it  :biggrin:

John Milton 

I think its a bunch of factors. Its more the fear that she could change things that drives the hate. Gamers acknowledge that the online community is only a small part of the actual audience, but at the same time tend to subconciously view it as the entire audience. So when every game site holds her up as some sort of righteous crusader for all that is good and right, and if you disagree with her you're some lowly scumbag, she looks like she has a lot more influence than she does. Especially when people who have nothing to do with gaming or gamers grab on to her cause while the people trying to debunk her are looked at as awful subhumans and their points aren't even examined.

Film is similar yet different. There are artsy films, the equivalent of Gone Home or Depression Quest that get all the rave reviews and are looked at as important, but no one watches them because they don't appeal to most people. Movie fans don't freak out about it because most of the film media is all about the big blockbuster entertaining movies that people actually watch. If Entertainment Tonight started talking about how movies are garbage and need to grow up and the Lord of the Rings movies are horrible misogynist messes that propogate rape culture, and everything should be more like *insert critically acclaimed art film that everyone hates*, I'm pretty sure there would be a #MovieGate too.

This is a very good post and accurately discusses the " issue around the real  influence that people like Anita has " 

I'll want to add to this, I will do later. I am just busy at work :)

John Milton