Does anyone else find exploration tedious in ALL the IE games?

For some reason the fog of war gets me. I never got through BG2, and I think I might give it another go with a map hack installed. I hate not being able to see things twenty feet away.

CLUAConsole:ExploreArea()

• Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

It is slightly unrealistic, but if everybody had the type of sight radius that we have in the real world, then on open maps, you would be attacked by all enemies at once (including those which are way off screen). This is basically the price you pay for not seeing your characters as tiny dots the entire game.

The answer is no in fact the exploration including the fog of war mechanic that keeps me from scrolling over the map like a drone to pinpoint all the trouble spots ahead of time in order to get an unfair advantage over the enemy is my favorite part of the game - I love that I can choose between scouting and just marching into whatever is out there and I was disappointed BG2 had much less of it than BG1 even if many BG1 maps had only a few minor encounters. 

• Like 3

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Well, the main reason for the fog of war in an IE game is for you to check whether you've explored the whole area. ;)

Which is why those corners you can't reach and uncover really bug me.

• Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

For some reason the fog of war gets me. I never got through BG2, and I think I might give it another go with a map hack installed. I hate not being able to see things twenty feet away.

Of all the IE games to cite for the "fog of war issue", you choose BG2? Really? It's the ONE IE game that didn't impose the fog of war in cities and towns.

The answer is no in fact the exploration including the fog of war mechanic that keeps me from scrolling over the map like a drone to pinpoint all the trouble spots ahead of time in order to get an unfair advantage over the enemy is my favorite part of the game - I love that I can choose between scouting and just marching into whatever is out there and I was disappointed BG2 had much less of it than BG1 even if many BG1 maps had only a few minor encounters. 

This.  In my opinion.  

Nope. Also I hated it when they got rid of the "empty areas" from BG1 to BG2 because of a vocal minority complaining about it. I loved exploring a giant forest map and only finding a few things. It's better than having all of these major encounters/NPCs/notable areas practically sitting on top of each other.  If it's tedious for you then just hit the Fast Speed button to have your party speed across the areas.

Edited by darqleo
  • Like 3

Nope. Also I hated it when they got rid of the "empty areas" from BG1 to BG2 because of a vocal minority complaining about it. I loved exploring a giant forest map and only finding a few things. It's better than having all of these major encounters/NPCs/notable areas practically sitting on top of each other. If it's tedious for you then just hit the Fast Speed button to have your party speed across the areas.

Yes!

This thread is like "Tetris has too many blocks."

Complaining that your characters can only see maybe fifty feet, tops, in open terrain in broad daylight is like saying Tetris has too many blocks? Wha?

The complaint isn't sight range, it's exploration.

That being said, I'd love it if the sight range was something more.. I don't want to say reasonable, because that's not entirely correct, but.. I guess just larger, to feel more real, even though it clearly wouldn't be real-real.

But then I'd want the maps to be 10-20x larger to compensate. OP:s complaint would still remain, the rest of us would still laugh at him, and I'd enjoy deliciously huge maps with a good sight range. If it wasn't for the fact that each map would take a week to load, this would be a perfect world.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I enjoy exploration, and usually find it smooth in PoE. The only real complaint I have is that I've always thought fog of war in most games looks awful despite realizing it serves a valid purpose. PoE probably could have managed to expand your field of view a bit after you've explored an area, or perhaps dissipate the fog entirely after fully exploring an area.

I enjoy exploration, and usually find it smooth in PoE. The only real complaint I have is that I've always thought fog of war in most games looks awful despite realizing it serves a valid purpose. PoE probably could have managed to expand your field of view a bit after you've explored an area, or perhaps dissipate the fog entirely after fully exploring an area.

Huh? Thats how my game works - no fog after exploring - yours comes back??

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Except in time when nothing waits you like in examples of some BG1 maps but yeah PoE doesn't have those problems every map is thoroughly designed and has interesting encounters everywhere.

Not that it bothers me, but the fog is there when walking through an explored area. Only the map shows the region without any fog attached, if you explored the whole thing.

There's the black FOW and then the grey FOW - the grey one sticks around making the beautiful envirnoments less beautiful when you zoom out

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Exploring is one of the main reasons I play rpgs! It's like Christmas, you never know what's waiting for you.

It's also what keeps me up until 2:30am playing this, well that and trying to level up if my experience points are close.

• Like 1

Exploring is one of the main reasons I play rpgs! It's like Christmas, you never know what's waiting for you.

It's also what keeps me up until 2:30am playing this, well that and trying to level up if my experience points are close.

Yes, that can be a real bugger. Getting these last few points to make another level has kept me up too.

Ahh, I don't get that luxury. I can only play for so long. But one good thing about that is if I'm close to a level up then I have that to look forward to the next time I get to play.

• Like 1