Does anyone else find exploration tedious in ALL the IE games?

Nope. I like exploring and I don't mind fog of war/walking around to get rid of it. But then I'm used to that mechanic from so many past games, not all of them rpg's, either. I mean, it's not like I can see what's around the corner or over the hill in real life, either.

My favorite was still in Nox, where it had a line-of-sight visual cone type thing for buildings/some dungeons, IIRC. That was interesting for the time.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

For some reason the fog of war gets me. I never got through BG2, and I think I might give it another go with a map hack installed. I hate not being able to see things twenty feet away.

I think that what you've posted isn't really the same question as the thread title.

As for the thread title, no, I don't find exploration tedious at all.  I find it fun to slowly creep around a map, scouting for traps or hidden treasures, while trying to find enemies before they find my party.

As for the Fog of war issue. while the distance may seem unrealistic, I think that you need to look at it as the cost of doing business.  (I'm sorry, but the word I'm really looking for is eluding me.)  If the game used realistic spotting distances, the maps would need to be MUCH larger, and the load times for those maps would be longer, and the development time for those maps would be much longer (as Luckmann pointed out in an earlier post).  But to keep these issues at reasonable levels, it's necessary to accept shorter than realistic view ranges for the sake of the game.

Nope. I like exploring and I don't mind fog of war/walking around to get rid of it. But then I'm used to that mechanic from so many past games, not all of them rpg's, either. I mean, it's not like I can see what's around the corner or over the hill in real life, either.

My favorite was still in Nox, where it had a line-of-sight visual cone type thing for buildings/some dungeons, IIRC. That was interesting for the time.

This is an interesting idea, though I think that it would work better when you were only playing a single character, rather than a party of 6.  In the party of 6, if all 6 characters were alert, you'd have eyes looking around all the time, whereas the single character can only look in one direction at a time.