I love guns in Pillars of Eternity...

...maybe not mechanics-wise, as they are very powerful.

But for the people who thought guns in a high-fantasy setting would make the sky fall in, did it?

I think not. The guns utterly fit in with the setting, look cool, sound great and I dig the reload animations. And you can enchant them. So, let's see more guns in PoE. Cannons, even.

Who remembers, btw, the cannon in the first store in Athkatla? It was sitting in a corner, gathering dust, a little wheeled three-pounder or similar.

• Like 14

sonsofgygax.JPG

I absolutely adore them. However, my gripe is actually this: On higher difficulty levels, despite some swapping tactics, they are plain time thieves. You don't get your bang for the buck, methinks.

Lastly, that pistol dual-wielding pirate Sensuki proposed, I'd still love to see that in PoE, where the mechanics allow for it. It would be fab.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The cipher class has a high-level detonation spell, so I'd love to see a class specializing in proper explosives, or perhaps some assault class of that sort, an early grenadier? Yum!

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Codpiece revolver is needed.

200px-Savini.jpg

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

When I first saw the arbalest reloading animation I realized how much I had missed that in the IE games. I know, it's a very shallow thing, but that's how I feel. Same for guns. There's actually a very visceral feeling opening up a battle with a volley of arquebus fire. During my first playthrough I also found several useful pistols, I haven't given blunderbusses a spin yet though.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Codpiece revolver is needed.

200px-Savini.jpg

There is already a codpiece item in the game, so a codpiece revolver is not that much of a stretch really ;).

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I personally never had a problem with it. To me, it always depends a lot on setting, and PoE overall does a pretty good job at evoking that not-quite-middle-ages proto-renaissance setting-thing, and the firearms do fit in there, and have a distinct role. Yes, it's arguable that they're not very balanced, but I don't blame that as much on the firearms themselves as I blame it on the game mechanics overall.

And I must say that it really feels right when the firearms fire. Whomever did that, animated it, recorded it, etc, did a really good job. There's a sense of "punch". Take crossbows or bows to compare, and it just doesn't. Should've had some more *twaannggg* to it, or something. I don't know. The firearms just feels meaty and real, a gruesome shot in the face, and they have the damage to match up, it's noticeable when they hit.

Yeah, they take forever to reload, but damn. Boom. Headshot.

Yes, it's from BBv480, but still. :lol:
  • Like 3

t50aJUd.jpg

I gave my rogue a magic blunderbuss and stealthed her, which creates some quivering palm-level OTT killshots.

There is one enchanted BB, I think the pig farmer gives it you.

My next character is probably going to be a low-STR, low-CON Cipher with two Blunderbi (yes, I call them blunderbi instead of blunderbusses) and a Pistol, and a pathological liar with high-functioning selective tourettes. When a Clever or Deceptive dialogue choice shows up, I must select it, no matter the consequences, prioritizing Deceptive over Clever, and if there are no other Disposition Choices than Cruel, I must pick Cruel.

It's gon be one hell of a ride.

Really want to make it a Rogue, but I want to see all those unique dialogue choices Ciphers get.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

The cipher class has a high-level detonation spell, so I'd love to see a class specializing in proper explosives, or perhaps some assault class of that sort, an early grenadier? Yum!

Haha, lets make an isometric COD. With assault rifles and all.

Jokes aside, guns came late in the Middle Ages which range from the 5th til the 15th century. 

The first gun appeared in the 13th and imo guns and magic don't mix in a medieval setting.

For guns and magic Shadowrun is a better setting, but that's just me.

imo guns and magic don't mix in a medieval setting.

Before applying logic to magic, one must first ingest suitable mind-altering substances.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

...maybe not mechanics-wise, as they are very powerful.

But for the people who thought guns in a high-fantasy setting would make the sky fall in, did it?

I think not. The guns utterly fit in with the setting, look cool, sound great and I dig the reload animations. And you can enchant them. So, let's see more guns in PoE. Cannons, even.

Who remembers, btw, the cannon in the first store in Athkatla? It was sitting in a corner, gathering dust, a little wheeled three-pounder or similar.

Guns were great, but the best part of you post was the information of the Warhammer Total War announcement. Thanx! :w00t:

• Like 2

First time I picked up Kana, I proceeded to the fights, pretty wrapped up in how intense the Caed Nua enemies were for a newcomer. After a while I thought "hey wait, where is that guy" since I wasn't seeing him on the front lines with other people I don't have to micromanage hard like Eder and my character.

Saw him in the back, looked at him a bit, and asked "wait....does he have a f***ing gun?"

Two seconds later he raised it up, shot it, and an enemy died just like that.

I thought "OMG, He's got a f***ing GUN!" and proceeded to ask myself "why the hell are we using swords if we can use freaking GUNS?!" and I was just laughing about how I didn't know guns were options and how stupidly OP it looked compared to conventional weapons, DPH-wise.

Very entertaining to fight a tough battle and then when you're trying to think of how to down an enemy, Kana just shoots it in the face and problem solved. Often does a hilarious, wonderous job of pointing out how trivial a lot of alternatives can be when you've got a friggin' gun.

• Like 3

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Many fantasy setting have firearms and I don't see why people think it's strange. Putting aside that this is fantasy so, why not, the technology in most fantasy settings is 15th-16th century Europe; at its base at least. Pillars is 16th-17th century. Swords+armor and firearms were used alongside for centuries in real life.

Edited by Sedrefilos

Not a fan of the guns, mainly because of the incredibly slow muzzle-loading. Makes my characters feel very 'unepic' spending a seemingly interminable time performing the mundane task of loading the gun (something peasants could do, which is partly why said guns were such a wild success), when they could instead be performing wondrous feats of archery. So I use bows. Even though they suck :(.

Edited by Bix Copperblast

Not a fan of the guns, mainly because of the incredibly slow muzzle-loading. Makes my characters feel very 'unepic' spending a seemingly interminable time performing the mundane task of loading the gun (something peasants could do, which is partly why said guns were such a wild success), when they could instead be performing wondrous feats of archery. So I use bows. Even though they suck :(.

I found it hilarious in close combat, when my high-def fighter was methodically reloading his arquebus with absolute zen calmness while angry mobs were desperately whaling at him from all directions. 

• Like 1

Guns definitely elevated the entire thing for me. Blunderbussing someone in the face with an emphatic BLAM! just feels great. 

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat. 

I never understood the argument that guns don't belong in fantasy. They were in use at about the same time as the pikes and full plate that are omnipresent in the genre. To say nothing of trying to bring up realism in a game where I can duel-wield spears or have my saber slice through plate armor, on top of all the dragons and magical shenanigans

• Like 2

I found it hilarious in close combat, when my high-def fighter was methodically reloading his arquebus with absolute zen calmness while angry mobs were desperately whaling at him from all directions. 

I could see that breaking immersion hehe

It's good to criticize things you love.