The Lightsaber

Anyone who has watched any Star Wars movie will realize that the Lightsaber is "the thing", it slices, it dices, and in KotOR it... well... sucked.

In the EGM article it was implied that Lightsabers would be far more dangerous...

But the question is... just how dangerous should they be in KotOR2:TSL?

Should they follow the movies... or should game balance be a more deciding factor?

Should it be more inherently powerful? Allowing for one hit kills?

Should it be more like in the D20 PnP game? Where the lightsaber isn't really that dangerous... it's the skill of the user that makes it so?

Should it remain "gimped" for some hypothetical "game balance" concept?

Personally I think it should be closer to D20 PnP, as you level the damage value of the lightsaber goes up...

They should follow the movies and not giving you your own before halfway through ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I didn't really notice the "underpowering" of the lighstaber what with how quickly everything died from it and slicing open every door and lockbox. One hit kills are an insanely stupid idea unless they are implemented for every weapon and animation reflects this. What do you want it to do? Cut a starship in to two? Leave it the way it is.

They should follow the movies and not giving you your own before halfway through  ;)

....luke got his hella early......

That was sort of his daddys, wasn't it ? The one he got on Tattooine. Wan't until after meeting Yoda that he got his "own" ?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'd like one hit kills but only if you are very high level. The same applies for enemies. It would be no fun to keep dying from a random hit. Lightsabers should be far more dangerous though, and have a clear advantage when facing 'swords'. Cortosis weave on every melee weapon was silly.

I didn't really notice the "underpowering" of the lighstaber what with how quickly everything died from it and slicing open every door and lockbox.

Give Canderous a Baragwin Assault Blade and you'll realize how underpowered sabers are ;) In fact, I almost used those with my own character, a Jedi. hmm, something wrong there.

Compared to what we've seen in the movies, every weapon was gimped in KOTOR. A single blaster hit, or swipe across the face with a vibroblade should kill most enemies. Compared to other weapons in the game, the lightsaber chewed things up pretty well. If the lightsaber is going to be made more powerful to reflect it's behavior in the movies, every weapon should be as well.

well in the after ep6 games cortosis seemed to be rare (jedi outcast)

We also see the Emperor's guards that seems to carry some kind of blades maybe that's cortosis..well out of topic

...i d like 1-4 hit kills it's more SW realistic. and oh well it should all depend on ur lvl but instead of hp they should add a constitution bad when it goes low .. blah blah blah

well anyway leave it the way it is no RPG can be that realistic

Lightsabers should be far more lethal.

Cortosis ore is supposed to be extremely brittle and hard to work with, I do not see how every vibroblade/armor/sword in KotOR had the stuff.

Lightsabers are supposed to be extremely dangerous and powerful, but in KotOR they were fancy swords that could block blaster bolts.

Since it is supposed to be more difficult to get your lightsaber in TSL lets have it worth more shall we.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

Oh I see. There were more powerful weapons in KOTOR so lightsabers were overpowered. :D No. Those weapons were just even more overpowered. There's nothing wrong with being a Jedi and especially a Sith and using a blade instead of a lightsaber. Sith even had their own kicka** swords they made using Sith alchemy that could easily stand up to lightsabers. They only switched to lightsabers for their ability to defelect blasters. So how about that? No blaster bolt deflection except when a lightsaber is equipped.

Oh I see. There were more powerful weapons in KOTOR so lightsabers were overpowered.  :D  No. Those weapons were just even more overpowered.

actually, lightsabers were underpowered, but some melee weapons were far too strong. I expect sabers to remain as they are with maybe a few tweaks. They can easily add better crystals to customize your saber. Nothing too radical, we don't want to overpower them in Kotor2.

Maybe if you're the ultimate munchkin they were underpowered. I mean I will admit I am quite the powergamer. Min maxing stats and all that but even I don't think lightsabers were underpowered. I could kill any enemy in seconds using a lightsaber. What more do you need? You want to rend entire planets in two with them? Anyways I think lightsabers use dex to hit while blades use strength. Useful for my weak consular. If there is a problem with them the solution is not to make them more powerful but to make the blades a little less powerful. Remember how many people use blades though. They have to make them pretty powerful to be appealing. The kewl factor alone with a lightsaber means 95% of players are going to use them over a blade. I still think blaster deflection should be impossible without one. That would make them more useful than a blade.

Lightsabers should be far more lethal.

Cortosis ore is supposed to be extremely brittle and hard to work with, I do not see how every vibroblade/armor/sword in KotOR had the stuff.

Lightsabers are supposed to be extremely dangerous and powerful, but in KotOR they were fancy swords that could block blaster bolts.

Since it is supposed to be more difficult to get your lightsaber in TSL lets have it worth more shall we.

TripleRRR

i would like to see blasters and rifles more powerful as well. not only would that make the game more balanced(between "swordfighters" and "riflemen"), but "jedi defense" would make a h*** of a feature. blocking incoming laser should be important as well as cool... B)

The answer is simple. Since every character MUST BE A JEDI then balancing is not an issue is it? Just don't make the game too easy, I guess. But for crissakes the lightsaber should be far superior to that POS we got in KotOR, which was nothing more then a flaming sword from DnD. However, the problem is not so much with the lightsaber, as it is with the limited interaction we have with this engine.

But I agree with that statement, unless you were a munchkin lightsabers were overpowerful due to the upgrade funtion.

A lot of people will bring the Star Wars d20 to say lightsabers were underpowered in SW:KotOR but easy forget that SW:KotOR uses many diferent rules that Star Wars d20 starting with crystals upgrade system that does not exist in Star Wars d20.

drakron.png

Odd that people are saying that lightsabres were underpowered in KOTRO when it was obvious that lightsbares were the most powerful weapon in KOTOR. Weird. Oh, i see, they're comparing them to the movies. *yawn* Sorry, unless you want Obsidian to forgo hit points and the like; lightsabres will not guaranatee one hit kills most of the time as that would be boring in a GAME.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.