The Lightsaber

I can't say that I'm Shdy. With your instrinsically discordant style of posting, it's inevitable that you foster antisocial behavior...

*sigh*

:( Oh no. A bunch of strangers feel I am antisocial. Oh wait. I am. :angry:

The jedi is almost in a class of their own! No normal person should be able to best a jedi in combat. Balance isn't an issue because there shouldn't be balance between jedi and non-jedi! Stop thinking of the D20 system and think about the movies. Did any of those storm troopers really stand a chance against Luke once he'd become a Jedi?

Removing weapons? Again against a non-force sensitive foe the outcome of the match is usually the same with or without a weapon so this use of the force(which a jedi uses one way or another all the time) is just a diffrent way of comming to the nearly inevitable conclusion. Against another jedi or Sith the loss of a lightsaber does not render the opponent helpless since they were mainly dependent on the force anyway.

Weapons should be breakable. A blaster bolt hitting a lightsaber thats an inch or so thick would be rare in the extreme. For blasters to be one hit disable/kill and not break the game you'd just have to do one thing, Make you're npcs seek cover. Not since the transformers have I seen so many fearless characters stand in the middle of a hallway durring a gun fight. Aside for jedi, all characters should have a range weapon, and be able to auto-swap and seek cover when appropriate. Both enemys and npcs should retreat and or call for help in the face of a jedi/sith batting away everything they can throw at him/her.

Q&A Time

Lightsabers use no energy and radiate no heat unless touched if a jedi touched his lightsaber he'd be burned.

Blaster bolts and lightsabers cauterize the wounds they inflict.

If you have no faith in the game, why are you here?

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

Whatever. Breakable weapons will not be in KOTOR because the vast majority of casual gamers do not like hardcore realism when it means their favorite weapons and armors can be destroyed. And casual gamers are what make games commercial successes or critically acclaimed failures like PS:T.

Whatever. Breakable weapons will not be in KOTOR because the vast majority of casual gamers do not like hardcore realism when it means their favorite weapons and armors can be destroyed. And casual gamers are what make games commercial successes or critically acclaimed failures like PS:T.

Are you talking to me?

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

First of all, And again, if blasters will become much more powerful then the role of a lightsaber in a combat will be so much more pronounced (even without any crystals or what have you).

Because sabers can deflect blaster fire and melee weapons can't? Fair enough.

That, and the fact that SW Universe is a product of technological civilization. Blasters should be very powerful assault weapons and lightsabers/swords should be an anachronism for anyone but Jedi.

Did any of those storm troopers really stand a chance against Luke once he'd become a Jedi?

Take away his saber - and stormtroopers do have a chance.

Weapons should be breakable. A blaster bolt hitting a lightsaber thats an inch or so thick would be rare in the extreme.

I'm not so sure on weapons breakablility. See, even now assault weapons are quite resistant to various abuse. A melee weapon could break if you try to bash something with it. Other than that a broken weapon is an exception, not a rule.

Armor is totally different in that regard.

Not since the transformers have I seen so many fearless characters stand in the middle of a hallway durring a gun fight. Aside for jedi, all characters should have a range weapon, and be able to auto-swap and seek cover when appropriate. Both enemys and npcs should retreat and or call for help in the face of a jedi/sith batting away everything they can throw at him/her.

True. But the personal energy shields were supposed to be the answer for this. The more I think about it, the more it seems that BioWare diminished their role as well.

Lightsabers use no energy and radiate no heat unless touched if a jedi touched his lightsaber he'd be burned.

Lightsabers do use some kind of energy source. I'm too lazy to find supporting quotes from Zahn. Otherwise they would have been a perpetuum mobile (they produce light without consuming a resource).

As for radiating heat - if this was the response to QuiGon piercing doors - while the lightsaber itself doesn't, the smoldering metal does.

I thought that the spirit of Hit points (at least in Ad&D) was more the ability to avoid/dodge attacks than the ability to take a hit without being knocked out. So, if combats were made such that you almost never really hit opponents until they only have something like ten hit points, we would agree that when the lightsaber or any weapon really 'touch' the opponent, the result is death.

Kind of. There are many different tactics he could still take. (d20) I used move object to snatch the blaster away from a Stormtrooper and then promptly one shot/one killed him with his own blaster. A Jedi relies on the force not on any particular weapons.

They should definitly try to use more from SW D20, since it is less broken then KotOR was. Firearms did rediculous low amount of damage compared to melee weapons.

The balance in SW D20 is a lot better then it was in KotOR.

They should definitly try to use more from SW D20, since it is less broken then KotOR was. Firearms did rediculous low amount of damage compared to melee weapons.

The balance in SW D20 is a lot better then it was in KotOR.

I agree, I want to have some fear of blasters in the sequel dang it.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

Kind of. There are many different tactics he could still take. (d20) I used move object to snatch the blaster away from a Stormtrooper and then promptly one shot/one killed him with his own blaster. A Jedi relies on the force not on any particular weapons.

I agree and this doesn't break my argument but reinforces it instead.

What if there's a squad of them?

And besides, in KotOR, you wouldn't have one shot killed a Sith trooper anyway...

Blasters are a real threat for anyone in SW d6 or d20. It's just that a lightsaber in Jedi's hands can deflect blaster shots, rendering them (blasters) ineffective/counter-effective.

Blasters are a real threat for anyone in SW d6 or d20. It's just that a lightsaber in Jedi's hands can deflect blaster shots, rendering them (blasters) ineffective/counter-effective.

Hasn't Obsidian already declared that blasters will be more effective in KotOR 2? This will make bladed weapons less useful, but probably won't change the balance of power between Jedi and non-Jedi all that much.

How much better than non-Jedi should Jedi be?

Hasn't Obsidian already declared that blasters will be more effective in KotOR 2? This will make bladed weapons less useful, but probably won't change the balance of power between Jedi and non-Jedi all that much.

How much better than non-Jedi should Jedi be?

I wonder how much effective they could make them and still keep early stages of the game playable. 2Sorwen: how does a low-level char stay alive in d20?

That aside, IMO, Jedi/Sith should be a level above any 'normal' warrior, only susceptible to surprise/multiple enemies attack.

I agree and this doesn't break my argument but reinforces it instead.

What if there's a squad of them?

And besides, in KotOR, you wouldn't have one shot killed a Sith trooper anyway...

From the point Blasters are nerfed in KoToR I agree. Only swords were not. Depending on the level of the Jedi depends on whether he could take a squad with or with out a lightsaber. My Jedi is only level 4 so I wouldn't want to take on a squad alone. I would say 3 would be near my limit(with average rolling). Though there are lots of tactics. If you have to directly attack them. Snatching weapons, Bastilla Tripping, moving objects in the way.

Unfortunately, these are not things you could do in game usually. You could, but that would take more time and redoing most if not all of the engine for this game. Anyway higher levels you could just block with your hand(like Vader did). Like I said in a game setting you have to be creative within the limits of the game, but from a just Jedi standpoint(Movies, Books, d20, etc) there are ways and powers to get creative. The game could add the Block and Move Objects our of opponents hands(disarm).

Lightsabers should be able to destroy opponent's weapon.

hmm. i actually like this one- a jedi would disarm the opponent of course. no need killing, right? then again, the AI shouldn't attack a level 20 jedi...

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

I want a lightsaber toenail clipper/nosehair remover.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta