Limerick edit thread 2

this needs to continue as it was an important discussion on the merits of censorship

No. It's a bunch of anti-SJ idiots throwing a fit, as usual. Anyone who thinks this has anything to do with censorship is an ignorant tool.

Obs did the right thing.

*Gets the popcorn*

• Like 2

this needs to continue as it was an important discussion on the merits of censorship

No. It's a bunch of anti-SJ idiots throwing a fit, as usual. Anyone who thinks this has anything to do with censorship is an ignorant tool.

Obs did the right thing.

*Gets the popcorn*

I think you should look up the definition of censorship. 

all should be welcome to express their options openly hopefully the mods will respect that

KANG: Transphobic jokes for everyone!

CROWD: [boos]

KODOS: Transphobic jokes for no one!

KANG: Transphobic jokes for SOME...little American flags for everyone.

CROWD: [thunderous applause]

• Like 5

I like the new poem as a backhand to offendatrons.

That said, the original submission should've stayed.

• Like 7

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Censorship is definitely the wrong term to use here - No one is being legally forced to do anything.

Caving to certain loud minorities on the other hand...

Knowing the tenacity of modders who feel scorned, I'm sure we'll see a travelling bard version with full VO reciting these Limericks somewhere in the game as a mod. It's bound to happen.  :dancing:

Edited by Mansen
  • Like 4

Unfortunately there's evidence to suggest it wasn't their own decision but one that caved to coercion. 

Like Sawyer essentially reacting "thanks for calling attention to this, we can't catch everything" to the original tweet? Because that doesn't exactly read like someone being coerced to me.

Check again.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/582200461127634945

That's Sawyer replying to Ian Miles Cheong, an infamous journalist (journalist? That's how he's listed currently from the source that led me to this link, not sure if true, I forget) if you were to ask GamerGate and one opposed to GamerGate.

I keep saying this is a GamerGate vs. SJW issue and it would be a mistake to deny that truth. I'm reading KiA right now as we speak. They're upset BECAUSE of that tweet because the tweet was not in response to the trans person who acted outraged, it's in response to one of the proponents of everything GamerGate is against and the very group GamerGate suspects to be setting the narrative for the industry.  It also does not help that the trans person has a history of "kill all men" tweets while Ian Miles Cheong himself has a rather infamous history of once being an outspoken Neo-nazi....was it these forums he used to visit, RPGCodex or am I mistaken?

Partially I agree with you that it could work as evidence both for- and against- Obsidian acting on their own accord. I simply also believe now is not a time where you'll get far trying to tell people "wtf you're overreacting" without trying to understand how they're interpreting it first.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 5

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Obs did the right thing.

*Gets the popcorn*

I respect your opinion and your right to say it but I disagree with you I feel that Obsidian has wronged a $500 backer by censoring his text

I question a company that so quickly and easily caves to such pressure

• Like 1

Oh it makes clearly fun of that person for sure. But this is not about this. It is about censorship and the principle why you as  artist should never give into these crazy people. 

• Like 1

Yes, this is my opinion too. I just can't get my head around the giant offense a tiny minority of people took to this and they decided to change it, it's like people from a different planet.

• Like 1

all should be welcome to express their options openly hopefully the mods will respect that

KANG: Transphobic jokes for everyone!

KODOS: Transphobic jokes for no one!

KANG: Transphobic jokes for SOME...little American flags for everyone.

CROWD: [thunderous applause]

OMG I love this vintage Simpsons reference if im not mistaken lol

Censorship is definitely the wrong term to use here - No one is being legally forced to do anything.

Knowing the tenacity of modders who feel scorned, I'm sure we'll see a travelling bard version with full VO reciting these Limericks somewhere in the game as a mod. It's bound to happen.  :dancing:

Censorship is not only forced by law. As I said you are pretty naive if you believe that is the case. 

• Like 2

PERSON NOW BRAGGING ON TWITTER ABOUT OBSIDIAN YIELDING TO HIM.   NICE JOB OBSIDIAN AND JOSH ( I SAID JOSH SAWYER BECAUSE THE PERSON THANKED HIM PERSONALLY ON TWITTER FOR LISTENING TO HIM)

ALSO IM NOT BUYING THIS " NO PRIOR VOTING" RUSE ONE BIT. FEARGUS I ADORE YOUR GAMES SINCE I WAS A KID, BUT DONT INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE

CBW3V0iWcAAWeVy.jpg

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 7

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Censorship is not only forced by law. As I said you are pretty naive if you believe that is the case. 

A beautiful point my good man in fact most censorship is not caused by government bodies

Am I really the only one here who got the meaning of the new poem? People should have a second look at it:

34ec617d-ac19-4fb3-87c8-8a3eb58b1c40.jpg

It clearly states that the original poem was just a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously, and "They asked for blood" is refering to those who asked for its removal and it can't be taken as compliment (if I were "they" I wouldn't take it as one anyway).

So all in all it seems rather obvious to me that the new poem means: "your failure to understand an inconsequential joke resulted in stupid censorship, well done you hysterical crowd".

Edited by Kimuji
  • Like 7

I don't believe I ever claimed that to be the case - I am pointing out that being told by a loud minority to change something is NOT censorship. The choice is still in their own hands. Of course you can debate the legitimacy of the concept of self-censorship, which is pretty much the core of the drama as far as most people seem to be concerned.

If Obsidian caves this easily to a small group of loudmouthed people (who arguably haven't even played the game for the most part judging by twitter responses), what will be next on the "I am a minority and feel offended by ___"? And how will this sort of behaviour affect the universe, story and future content that is still on the drawing board.

• Like 1