Stat bonus modifiers can erroneously be applied multiple times allowing stats to grow beyond intended values

pi2repsion

Question

When I reached character level 5 I observed that Eder had considerably larger defensive stats than he was supposed to given his level, attributes, and equipment. I cannot say exactly when it happened as I do not save to separate save slots that often, but looking back through my saves, the following saves are the last from before this happened and the first from after it happened.

I am running the game on Windows.

Saves at dropbox due to forum attachment limit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5sgetpefdousrr/Eder_unexplained_stat_increase.rar?dl=0

The save before the discrepancy occurs is from temple of Eothan with about half of the first level cleared. Eder is level 4 and when stripped of all gear and buffs, his defenses are 36/53/31/39 - exactly what one would expect given his level and attributes.

The save after is from the Black Meadow, two days later. Eder is still level 4, but now when stripped of all gear and buffs, his defenses are 58/63/48/51 and he has also gained +1 perception and +1 resolve (which are responsible for 2 of the reflex and will increases).

The total unexplained increase is thus 20/10/15/10, +1 per, +1 res.

It is obvious to suspect a bug with respects to stacking stat bonuses that fails to get cleared, as that is a much too common bug in CRPGs, and the suspicion is supported by the stat-bonus gear Eder has been wearing during this time is Fulvano's Amulet (+5 reflex) and Minor Ring of Deflection (+5 deflection) as well, after finding it in the temple, Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil (+1 per, +1 res).

The observed discrepancy is thus a perfect match with the stats of Defender mode (with Wary Defender) and the three named items being added once and not cleared when they should be, so it seems very likely that the discrepancy happened at some time after the Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil helmet was picked up and equipped. That still leaves a considerable gap from that point of time in the temple to the Black Marsh save, but it is the closest I can narrow down the gap given the saves on hand.

...He does make an awesome tank, though, running around at level 5 with 96/73/65/63 defenses when defender mode is activated and he is wearing his equipment, but it is trivializing content.

• Like 6

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

I tracked down one way to reproduce this; I don't know if this is how it happened, but it could very well be as I know I quit to the menu at least once while in the Gilded Village to try my hands at creating some other character.

• Go to the location where a companion was recruited. [Only tested for Eder/Gilded Vale and Kana/Caed Nua]
  • Save the game.
  • Quit to the menu.
  • Load the game.
  • Observe that the stats of the NPC have now increased by the value of his equipment stat bonuses and modal actions like defender mode.
  • ....and if you feel like abusing this or just testing how absurd it can get, save and go through the steps 2-4 again

In the following save based on the Black Marsh save from the original report I went to Gilded Vale and did it a few times for Eder, then went to Caed Nua and did it a few times for Kana while equipping him with as many booster items as I could. I'm sure everybody will agree that Kana with 63/82/60/82 defenses, 18 Con, and 24 Int at level 4 is a pretty impressive chanter. (To be clear: Both Eder and Kana wore stat-boosting equipment during this test in both Gilded Village and Caed Nua, but only Eder's increased in Gilded Vale and only Kana's in Caed Nua when doing this.)

Here's the save:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/51v3byas7rh672y/Unexplained_stat_increase_explained.rar?dl=0

Edited by pi2repsion
  • Like 2

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

I can confirm I have this bug on Eder too - all of his defensive stats have become excessively high during the course of the game.

Having done some reading through the forums and some looking through my save files, it appears to be to do with saving/loading save games, however it only happens in certain areas  and/or for certain characters. I believe it occurred in Gilded Vale, and Raedrics Stronghold for me.

I also have the bug some others have reported where Pallegina has -2 DR with nothing on (and 2 lower than she should with armor on).

I really hope the fix for this is retroactive as I have a level 5 Eder with 137 deflection and 100+ other stats making him pretty much invulnerable :(

I can confirm I have this bug on Eder too - all of his defensive stats have become excessively high during the course of the game.

Having done some reading through the forums and some looking through my save files, it appears to be to do with saving/loading save games, however it only happens in certain areas  and/or for certain characters. I believe it occurred in Gilded Vale, and Raedrics Stronghold for me.

I also have the bug some others have reported where Pallegina has -2 DR with nothing on (and 2 lower than she should with armor on).

I really hope the fix for this is retroactive as I have a level 5 Eder with 137 deflection and 100+ other stats making him pretty much invulnerable :(

I think I was able to fix everything by dismissing and recruiting all companions. Except for Pallegina still having base DR of -2 and my PC missing hopefully only the racial ability. I am not sure, if I should wait for a patch at this point or keep playing, since I am already rolling back to an old save. (wasting about 4 hours)

I tried to dismiss/recruit all companions, and also tried some combinations of dismiss all companions -> save/load -> recruit again, and changing areas around the stronghold then dismiss/recruit, restart game after dismissing then recruiting, but in all of these the persitent stats were still there on companions. Seems the 'base' stats of the companions have been modified.

But you guys have correctly identified at least part of the bug and its cause.  Any time you load a game in a location where you recruited an NPC that NPC's stats are permanently increased by the amount of whatever stat boosting items he or she is wearing.  You don't have to quit to the main menu first, you can just keep hitting quick save and quick load and it'll raise the attributes.

I don't know why some people say dismissing them fixes it, it doesn't appear to.

It might be possibly related to the Gilded Vale Save/Load bug as reproduced here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73117-bug-508-fighters-deflection-raises-up-for-no-reason/

I ran few tests and exiting the game and reloading it did not help - the bug has still occurred. It is actually kinda weird because it seems that it is somewhat related to Gilded Vale location, at least in my gameplay.

Steps to reproduce the issue consistently:

1. Load this savegame: https://www.dropbox....k.savegame?dl=0
2. Notice Eder's deflection stat value.
3. Go with your party to Gilded Vale.
3. Save/Load
4. Notice Eder's deflection stat value has raised up.

But if you go to another location instead (I tested Black Meadow) and save/load there the bug does not happen. Or if you go to Gilded Vale and then to another location and save/load there is no bug either.

Edited by Tanred

With no clothes on my Eder is level 6 and has the following stats 42/59/37/45. This normal ?

Not sure about the deflection but the others are correct. Except for Deflection, everyone has a base of 20 for Fortitude , Reflex and Will. Eder has +24 Fort, +2 Reflex, +10 Will bonus from his attributes, add the bonus of 3 to all defenses for each level beyond level 1 (15 in your case). The total should add up to 59 Fort 37 Reflex and 45 Will.

• Like 1

Yes.  Eder is initially recruited in Gilded Vale, so if you save/reload there his stats will go up.   It happens with Kana at Caed Nua because that is where he is initially recruited. 

But what about the player character? Or are you saying that the PC is not affected by this bug and I just have awesome defensive stats? :)

Yeah, I wish I knew what the stats were *supposed* to be so I knew if mine were wrong.

edit:  thanks for the base numbers sunburnedcrow.  Deflection depends on, what, class as well as stats?

Edited by AgentTBC

With no clothes on my Eder is level 6 and has the following stats 42/59/37/45. This normal ?

Not sure about the deflection but the others are correct. Except for Deflection, everyone has a base of 20 for Fortitude , Reflex and Will. Eder has +24 Fort, +2 Reflex, +10 Will bonus from his attributes, add the bonus of 3 to all defenses for each level beyond level 1 (15 in your case). The total should add up to 59 Fort 37 Reflex and 45 Will.

It seems your Eder is normal. Fighters' base deflection is 25 and Eder gets +2 deflection bonus from his 12 Resolve.

Edited by Tanred

Guys I don't think only companions suffer from this. I have a level 5 monk with 15 constitution(+1 from item). He has I think ~105 endurance which is fine but he has 1000+ HP!

For comparison my Edér has 17 or 18 CON and like ~600HP. Also I have like 24 int on Kana...

Yeah, that's the save/laod bug that's been reported many, many times here, causes temporary effects and modals to stack.

One easy way to test if you've been affected is to see how much Int Kana has while naked. Since he comes with the +1 Int hat, he tends to stack it up quite easily once the bug hits him. He's supposed to have 17 base Int, but some people are reporting as much as 25 Int on him due to the bug.

Edited by Bubbles

Good job on noticing that the issue appears when saving in the same location the NPC was recruited!

I have the bug with Kana (and his 34 intel) but could not figure out how to reproduce it...

That probably means a fix should be out pretty soon now.

Also hope they're able to fix current saves instead of forcing us to start a new game.

Any official statement on this and many other gamebreaking bugs? :(

They're working on them (including over the weekend, which is pretty nice), a patch is expected this week, and for at least some problems they've mentioned they're trying to make the fixes retroactive.

Yes.  Eder is initially recruited in Gilded Vale, so if you save/reload there his stats will go up.   It happens with Kana at Caed Nua because that is where he is initially recruited. 

Confirmed. And it also happens with Durance at Magran's Fork, I've just tested it.   

Another forum member (can't remember his username) reported that the stat-stacking bug also appears in areas where characters haven't been recruited (i.e. certain districts in Defiance Bay). I don't think there's a way to fully avoid this problem for the time being.