Collector's Editon Map (horrible)

It's not as poor quality as some of these folks are making it out to be. It could be better, but it could be a lot worse.

ugh. You're the worst kind of fanboy. I hope you're young enough to justify it.

By definition, he'd have to LOVE the map to be a fanboy. The simple fact that he acknowledged any amount of fault in the map's quality negates the very idea of fanboy-ery.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I doubt any map can be worse than the blurry, frayed, small, cheap map i got with the Dragon Age Origins CE.

I think the worst cloth map I got was the one from Icewind Dale 1. It looked like CGA graphics...

LOL! I had to go find my tin box and take a look.  I can almost read your post through the map!

It is about 12 1/4 x9 in size. What size is the cloth map of Pillars of Eternity?

Edited by Byeohazard

I don't mind the map quality, it at least feels better than the one that came with Dragon Age Origins. It also smells slightly better, the DAO map smelled pretty bad.. 

I like the shirt though, even if it does attract cat fur. It even fits me! Normally game shirts don't come small enough to do that. 

• Like 1

Hi, I got my collector's edition today and I have to add disappointment with the map. I cannot actually make out some of the place names. It just looks fairly blurry and low-res :(

I don't have maps from the other old games that were inspiration but that's part of the reason I went for this tier. it seemed like the guys wanted to bring back some of that old essence and magic and things they used to like from that era, so I thought it would be cool to get a taste. i don't think it was great value.

My signed collector's edition has not shipped yet but of course I am curious about the quality of the items. Luckily I have prepared myself for a poor quality map by thinking to myself that it has seen many adventures and therefore it looks worn-out. A little roleplay always helps, no? :yes:

"Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."

And to think PoE CE sells on Ebay for 320+ US dolalrs.

:)

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

My signed collector's edition has not shipped yet but of course I am curious about the quality of the items. Luckily I have prepared myself for a poor quality map by thinking to myself that it has seen many adventures and therefore it looks worn-out. A little roleplay always helps, no? :yes:

No. The map is so thin and flimsy i doubt it would survive a day hike. It's actually thinner than stock paper.

Still bummed about this.

As for the rest, the hardcover book as I mentioned is decent, but outdated. The mousepad is a bulk neoprene absokutely-nothing-special mousepad with the cover art on it. It's not washed out like the map at least, but pretty much a throwaway mousepad I will never use.

The iron on badges are fine.

The pamphlets are fine, also outdated compared to the digital kit.

Overall the digital media is far more impressive in scope, coverage and detail. As far as the box contents, it's all for show as far as I'm concerned. Something to put on your bookcase and talk about when you have gamer friends over.

It's a good thing the game itself is turning out to be fan-****ing-tastic, which helps me to look past the cheap ass merch, but i am still truly disappointed with the map. I wish they would step up and replace them, even for a fee (you cheap bastards, lol jk) .. They have to know and acknowledge they are total crap.

Edited by khermann

I know some are disappointed with the map, but what is the rest like?  Mouse pad? T-shirt, the box itself?

the actual box is great! a tad bare and empty though... mouse pad feels really nice although a slightly larger one would have been fantastic. i'm using it now instead of my starcraft 2 one. t-shirt is 100% cotton which means at least i can wear it, plain black with logo on it. postcard is a postcard and patch is a patch. notepad looks nice with different characters on the pages.

i think at the time i backed it i really struggled with deciding over the $140 tier or a digital one. i really like the concept of some of the collector's edition of games but i'm not sure now if it was really worth it compared to others. it may be apples and oranges but i feel like i got more out of the collectors edition for tales of monkey island, witcher 2, starcraft 2 heart of the swarm, mass effect 3 n7 edition and the upcoming witcher 3. partly this could be because of unfinished items; you get the box, but no actual game, novella or documentary but also a lot of the bonus 'collectors' content is still digital only.

I know some are disappointed with the map, but what is the rest like?  Mouse pad? T-shirt, the box itself?

I'm pretty satisfied with all the other stuff. Decent but not 'wow' quality, as noted. The map though... that's a pretty big disappointment for a lot of us, since I believe many of us were most excited for that alone.

"I'm extremely disappointed. The only reason I pledged for the collectors edition was the promise of a "beautiful cloth map like those of classic CRPGs". Instead I'm treated to modern screen printed garbage and a collectors edition that looks like cheap tat next to Stick of Truth's CE which I paid less for. It's not even just the printing job, the map it's self is just a lazy copy of the in-game map and looks in no way like a living piece of the world."

This is exactly how I feel.

Just want to add my disappointment in here with the rest. 

I posted pictures of mine at http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/31slcq/got_my_ce_box_today_is_everyone_elses_cloth_map/  where there are a number of other people who are also unhappy with their maps.

I'm getting my t-shirt silkscreened on the other side:

"I paid a thousand bucks and all i got was this lousy t-shirt, a terrible map, a signed box, some outdated literature and one of the best RPGs of all time"

• Like 1

Just adding my voice in disappointment here. Loved the game and supporting its creation was worth the price of admission, but the map was the one additional item that I was truly excited for.

I'd like to see an Obsidian response, even if it is just an explanation and apology. They know the maps sucked.