Collector's Editon Map (horrible)

mine looks like this

post-47336-0-69673700-1429878688_thumb.jpg

the picture itself looks better than waywockets but i it's hard to tell. i would qualify it as blurry but not as blurry as yours. i don't know. i'm more disappointed with this so-called 'cloth'

maybe i'll just take the hi-res game map file to a local shop and let them print something nice.

• Like 1

Here's composite scans of the PoE map and the Wasteland 2 map.

bLr63Fqt.jpgiojEL4ct.jpg

Both maps look a bit darker than the scans. The difference in quality is pretty noticeable though, but I'm not sure what the PoE map is actually supposed to look like so I'm not sure if the replacement would be of better quality. The material of the WL2 map is softer and thinner than the PoE map, so I guess it could just be due to the material used?

I received the CE today (shipping to Europe... ughh) and was looking forward to unboxing. (I can still remember the Ultima 9 map -- drool)

I guess I have ended up with a map on the worse end of the spectrum, because most of the pictures in this thread and on reddit look better than my map...

Overall, the box feels a bit empty, but the quality of everything else inside was good. I quite like the quality of the mousepad in particular, but , again, the print quality is not great, but I don't expect it to last for too long, when in use.

Hopefully Obsidian and others will learn something for this and will offer quality next time ... it shouldn't be too hard to get a decent margin on this kind of thing even with good quality cloth and printing (it looks like it's been printed on a set of jeans, silk would be really nice). When you offer a worse deal than simply going to a local shop with a direct to garment printer you're doing it wrong.

mine looks like this

IMG_7941.JPG

the picture itself looks better than waywockets but i it's hard to tell. i would qualify it as blurry but not as blurry as yours. i don't know. i'm more disappointed with this so-called 'cloth'

maybe i'll just take the hi-res game map file to a local shop and let them print something nice.

I am going to email them. I was very disappointed with mine when it came. I just thought they farmed it out and didn't care. But mine is way worse than this one. Place the size of "Mercy Vale" and illegible in mine.  "The Pearl Coast" is the smallest you can read. Although honestly that isn't real clear, you can figure out what is says but if the "A" from pearl was on its own you wouldn't know it was an "A". Really places the size of "Tribes of Eir Glanfath" are the size you can easily read.

It is also very stiff, feels more like cardboard than cloth. Has big creases, avoiding those is supposed to be the benefit of cloth.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, recieved my CE-Box today (recieved rest of stuff some time ago)---and well, the map really is a pain to look at. In contrast with Ultima IX´s map (which wasn´t awesome, but good) this is a big ****. And yup, I was even disappointed although I´ve already seen the pics around

Anyways, I It´s more important for me that Obsidian and Paradox got their messages:

Obsidian should try to give the CE more financial power: Maybe cut away the regular boxed and do only offer CE´s! Maybe use a higher difference between physical and digital CE. I´m sure you´ll find some way---I´d be definitely be in for the next KS!

Paradox---well, try to get better deals. There has to be a possibility to get a better map quality!

Just don´t do one thing: Don´t remove the Map in PillE II---enhance it! 

Edit: Paradox seems well aware of that issue, part of a mail response: "yes, we have certainly having strong words with the manufacturer of the cloth maps (who otherwise did I fine job with the boxes etc)"Good thing: This doesn´t sounds like they wouldn´t go for Cloth Maps another time---if Obsidian want´s to continue the Paradox-Partnership for PillE II

Edited by RadonGOG

Hello everyone!

We've been looking into this issue. If you received a blurry map and would like a replacement, please contact support@paradoxplaza.com. Paradox is working together with the company who printed the maps in order to send out replacements when needed.

- Rose

Received my replacement last week. Thank you!

I didn't even get a response from Paradox... sigh.

How does the new one look Byenozard? Is it a big difference?

It looks good. I would not say that it is super sharp but it is  legible. All the names and places are pretty clear. It is still on very thin cloth. I am quite happy with it. The print job is acceptable.

Hello everyone!

We've been looking into this issue. If you received a blurry map and would like a replacement, please contact support@paradoxplaza.com. Paradox is working together with the company who printed the maps in order to send out replacements when needed.

- Rose

I’ve sent them an e-mail to request a replacement for the map I received.

It’s now been ten days, without any sign of life from Paradox.

Do you have some advice about this?

Edited by vv221

Hello everyone!

- Rose

I’ve sent them an e-mail to request a replacement for the map I received.

It’s now been ten days, without any sign of life from Paradox.

Do you have some advice about this?

Try this:

I have passed this onto my colleague Tomas, who looks after the shipping of the PoE Kickstarter goods. I'm sure he will contact you soon.

Here is his direct email if required

tomas.harenstam@paradoxplaza.com

• Like 2

Thanks to this forum I found the contact email at Paradox for a replacement map. I sent them a quick note and they sent me a replacement map in short order. It was all very nice and customer centric and trying to make things right is so important in so many ways. So thank you Tony at Paradox and the others for your efforts.

Yet the map itself (even the replacement) is a disaster by any measure of artistry. Drab and blurry are fighting each other over which one gets to offend your sensibilities first. I say this because placing the decades old Ultima V cloth map beside the PoE map is like putting the Bayeux Tapestry next to a c0cktail napkin.

The PoE map has no sewn edges, no vivid colors, nearly impossible to read text and a texture which resembles thread-bare corduroy. Taken as a whole it's less a map and more a testament as to how low standards have sunk. Which is where this map looks like it was dredged up, from the depths.

p.s. Fix your broken auto censoring algorithms. Or do you have something against disposable drink coasters?

Edited by Captain Shiny
  • Like 1

Try this:

I have passed this onto my colleague Tomas, who looks after the shipping of the PoE Kickstarter goods. I'm sure he will contact you soon.

Thank you again, I got a very quick answer from Tomas (sent my e-mail during the week-end, got an answer today).

We’re now working the details before they send me a new map.

Try this:

Thank you again, I got a very quick answer from Tomas (sent my e-mail during the week-end, got an answer today).

We’re now working the details before they send me a new map.

Really pleased I was able to help.

• 4 weeks later...

Really pleased I was able to help.

And my new map arrived today, far better looking than the previous one!

It took some time but I can understand it: they where in the middle of sending the DVD, plus the map has been sent from USA to Europe. Overall a good customer experience.

Yes, Paradox can screw up, suffice to browse these forums to notice it, but they seem to be quite good at fixing their errors too.

I just received my replacement map today and it's fantastic, much better than the original one I got. It feels different and nicer too, so I'm not sure if something went wrong with the actual material the first time. Anyway thanks for fixing that up :)

• 5 months later...