Collector's Editon Map (horrible)

I don't know if this standard for all Collector's Edition cloth maps, but mine looks absolutely terrible. It's very blurry / indistinct / muddy-looking. Can other CE backers comment on their maps? Do they all look blurry, or is it a printing issue with mine? 

• Like 3

I don't know if this standard for all Collector's Edition cloth maps, but mine looks absolutely terrible. It's very blurry / indistinct / muddy-looking. Can other CE backers comment on their maps? Do they all look blurry, or is it a printing issue with mine? 

Yep, mine looks like ****!

This is standard. There are many ways to create cheap and easy 'fabric' style maps these days. The Divinity Original Sin map was equally nasty. Haven't looked at my Wasteland 2 one yet, but probably also rubbish.

I get it's about economics, but it's just sad when I look at my old Ultima V map. So gorgeous.

• Like 3

The Dude abides.

At least you have it. Mine's still in the mail, so to speak.

...how's the t-shirt? I want my t-shirt.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This is standard. There are many ways to create cheap and easy 'fabric' style maps these days. The Divinity Original Sin map was equally nasty. Haven't looked at my Wasteland 2 one yet, but probably also rubbish.

I get it's about economics, but it's just sad when I look at my old Ultima V map. So gorgeous.

The Wasteland 2 map was atrocious as well. Poor, poor quality.

The shirt was fine. No issues with the shirt.

Mine hasn't even shipped yet. I filled out the survey to have my name entered in the credits the day I paid, and I didn't get that either. I'm rather depressed with this whole ordeal. 1 digital copy of the game, a collector's edition that is on backorder, no name in credits.

What exactly did I pay for and how am I supposed to break it to my best friend that he won't be getting my second copy of this game until God only knows whenever they decide to ship it out? :p

• Like 2

Sigh.  Original Sin all over again.

No more physical reward pledge tiers for me.

Original Sin and Wasteland 2.

No more physical tiers is pretty much where I'm at. This is pretty terrible for $140. Not even remotely worth it. 

You don't see a quality problem with it? Okay. 

Even better: my name is nowhere in the backer lists that I can find. It's not in the game credits among the backers, and it's not in the Collector's Edition Guide among the backers. I've pretty much resorted to laughing at this point. 

• Like 1

My Wasteland 2 map is fine - I don't see the problem?

It is a bit flimsy, if you compare it to the good old days of Ultima maps for example. Should be getting PoE stuff in the mail tomorrow so we'll see how that compares... 

As I haven´t received my collectors I´m not to judge the quality of the map yet. But, if it´s as terrible as these folks are saying, I got a simply suggestion to you:

@Obsidian: For next time, simply higher the costs to select a collectors edition reward! Pricing isn´t the thing that matters for most CE-Backers, what matters for them is QUALITY!

So yep, if you´ve struggled to deliver the expected quality for that  price tag, please higher it when doing your next KS! 

• Like 1

Sigh.  Original Sin all over again.

No more physical reward pledge tiers for me.

Original Sin and Wasteland 2.

No more physical tiers is pretty much where I'm at. This is pretty terrible for $140. Not even remotely worth it. 

I must say that I also felt a similar dissapointment with both Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin physical goods. Especially the maps. Needless to say, I also will no longer pledge for physical reward tiers.

Despite all the nostalgia they drum up, those days are simply over.  For one thing, the physical discs will most likely be a steam install anyway, so they're not really necessary. For another thing, the publishers have to ship for too many people in too many different languages/geographic locations. The expenses are too much for them to invest the same amount of quality they did back in the days of ultima when they had to publish for  a much smaller, more specialized fan base.

Nothing short of a BG1-esque printed paper map and BG2-type spiral bound manual will make me pledge for physicals again. Especially at over $100. I've been burnt on WL2 and now PoE. I like the game; the shirt is pretty good quality and the magnetic flap on the box is nifty, but the tiny manual and bad map make my money feel poorly spent.

Exceeeeept... on the upside, I helped Obsidian make the game. I'm not bitter, but I've definitely learned my lesson about vaguely-described physical goods.

Caveat emptor indeed.

• Like 1

Truly, developers/Kickstarters should offer high quality paper maps. This obsession with fabric maps is weird. Ultima is pretty much the only series I know that did them well.

The new Underworld is offering a parchment map. That is a MUCH better idea (and true to the original Underworlds) than a 'fabric' map.

The Dude abides.

Kind of a shame the maps didn't turn out nicer but it's not a big deal.....I'll live. The biggest physical tier of all that I'm super hyped for is that of Torment: Tides of Numenera where I've got all the novellas and a bunch of other stuff besides the physical CE itself.....that one is looking like it's shaping up to be the best game ever.

1zq6793.jpg

Kind of a shame the maps didn't turn out nicer but it's not a big deal.....I'll live. The biggest physical tier of all that I'm super hyped for is that of Torment: Tides of Numenera where I've got all the novellas and a bunch of other stuff besides the physical CE itself.....that one is looking like it's shaping up to be the best game ever.

Is it?

I'm curious as to why you say that?

I backed that game as well at the physical goods tier. But haven't followed the development much at all after following the development of PoE and being disappointed with so many of Josh's decisions.

Only had Ultima IV map myself, and that was pretty awesome too. Pretty good for a bargain bin find for the Amiga way back when.

Anyway, in the future I'd probably prefer a good quality paper map that you can actually read, instead of a second-rate cloth map...