Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Okay, I'll probably take some schtick for this, but I sat down and watched.. Barely Lethal.

Hey, it has Samuel L Jackson for the background scene chewing, and Jessica Alba for the general pretty.

It's still has a few amusing moments, the concept of a teenage girl raised in a "quasi-government assassin factory" who manages to fake her death so she can experience high school.. but all of her pre-conceptions are based on the high-school films she's managed to sneak viewing over the years. So she's acting off of Mean Girls, Clueless, Fast Times at Ridgemont High and the like. So you get a few pokes at the Hollywood teen/high school/college film industry.

Oh yes, and it has Sansa Stark in it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Jurassic World

In all my life, I might have only once before called a movie "dumb fun." I'm still not even sure how "dumb fun" works, but this movie is pretty dumb and it's pretty fun. The climax of the film had me both laughing at how stupid what I was seeing was, as well as thrilled by it.

Like one of those parodies of 80s action flicks, only played straight.

"Dumb fun" probably works very well, i have not seen it yet, but it´s exactly what i think it will be. Basicly a fun monster movie for the summer. I don´t think you can recreate the feeling of the first movie anyway.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Just got back from it. Dumb fun is really the best description. That was so much fun. It's not as good as Jurassic Park, I think that would be impossible, but it's much better than both sequels. In fact, 18 years ago when The Lost World started, THIS is what 9 year-old me wished it would be.

I think it knew it would never be able to live up to the first and just focused on being super fun, everything is laced with this self-awareness where it kind of just pokes fun at itself and you just go along for the ride. Some points are even satirical, making fun of spectacle fatigue and product placement and then just going for it. The ultimate summer popcorn muncher, even moreso than the stuff Marvel puts out.

Oh, and that (debunked) rumor that Chris Pratt was going to be Indiana Jones? I'm 100% behind that.

Just got back from it. Dumb fun is really the best description. That was so much fun. It's not as good as Jurassic Park, I think that would be impossible, but it's much better than both sequels. In fact, 18 years ago when The Lost World started, THIS is what 9 year-old me wished it would be.

I think it knew it would never be able to live up to the first and just focused on being super fun, everything is laced with this self-awareness where it kind of just pokes fun at itself and you just go along for the ride. Some points are even satirical, making fun of spectacle fatigue and product placement and then just going for it. The ultimate summer popcorn muncher, even moreso than the stuff Marvel puts out.

Oh, and that (debunked) rumor that Chris Pratt was going to be Indiana Jones? I'm 100% behind that.

I saw it too now and it was really a fun popcorn movie and the director made a special ponit at taking a hit at product placesment and consumer and corporate excess (in his own words). It was fun and i enjoyed them more than the other sequels. To my surprise i didn´t even hate the kid actors in this one lol. Now i´m wondering if they will make more future films, Pratt has signed up for an "unknown amount of sequels" to this one. Not sure if i´m a big fan of that.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Fun movie. Biggest weakness is that it's basically a redone JP1. If this was amde before JP1 it would be considered better but being made as a sequel it will only be seen as a fun (and successful) appendage. They tried desperately to brainwash people with some of the set ups. Still, greta movie. Howard was FANTASTIC.  Pratt was actually likeable. I didn't bother with Guardians b/c it looks like an Avengers wannabe and Avengers is a bad movie to start with. L0L

Anyways, Jurassic World = 8/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Fun movie. Biggest weakness is that it's basically a redone JP1. If this was amde before JP1 it would be considered better but being made as a sequel it will only be seen as a fun (and successful) appendage. They tried desperately to brainwash people with some of the set ups. Still, greta movie. Howard was FANTASTIC. Pratt was actually likeable. I didn't bother with Guardians b/c it looks like an Avengers wannabe and Avengers is a bad movie to start with. L0L

Guardians isn't an avengers wannabe. Give it a shot. Worst case scenario you wasted 2 hours.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I saw it too now and it was really a fun popcorn movie and the director made a special ponit at taking a hit at product placesment and consumer and corporate excess (in his own words). It was fun and i enjoyed them more than the other sequels. To my surprise i didn´t even hate the kid actors in this one lol. Now i´m wondering if they will make more future films, Pratt has signed up for an "unknown amount of sequels" to this one. Not sure if i´m a big fan of that.

Well, since it had the biggest opening weekend of all time (worldwide that is, in the US it still lags behind The Avengers) I'm thinking there will definitely be a sequel. It literally made half a billion dollars worldwide in three days.

Fun movie. Biggest weakness is that it's basically a redone JP1. If this was amde before JP1 it would be considered better but being made as a sequel it will only be seen as a fun (and successful) appendage. They tried desperately to brainwash people with some of the set ups. Still, greta movie. Howard was FANTASTIC.  Pratt was actually likeable. I didn't bother with Guardians b/c it looks like an Avengers wannabe and Avengers is a bad movie to start with. L0L

I don't know, while this one was really fun the original had a sense of wonder and heart that this one never had. It was more shallow. Plus, as awesome as the action sequences were, not a single one reached the level of tension of the original T-Rex breakout. The first movie was scary when it wanted to be. To be honest, despite using mostly the same setup I can't say you can actually compare the two - very different approaches to filmmaking. That one was focused on suspension of disbelief, making you believe it was real. This was more of a popcorn thriller. Still much better than the other sequels.

Oh, and +1 to Oerwinde's post about Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie had a similar sense of epic fun to Jurassic World. I think it's better than Avengers.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Oh, and +1 to Oerwinde's post about Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie had a similar sense of epic fun to Jurassic World. I think it's better than Avengers.

This is what made me think I was in for a good time.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

While I wouldn't say that Guardians of the Galaxy was a better movie than The Avengers (the first one, anyway) it certainly had the most awesome soundtrack since Tron: Legacy, and unlike the Tron sequel the soundtrack wasn't the only good thing about it, although by now I'm really, really tired of origin stories.

Oh, and I watched Dr. Horrible, for the... probably hundredth time. :)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Avengers doesn't hold up on repeat viewings, Guardians does. Avengers climax was way cooler, but if you watch it again you kinda just get annoyed with the movie wanting it to get to the good part. Guardians' climax was less spectacular, but on a whole it was a much better movie with funny or spectacular stuff happening from beginning to end.

Avengers doesn't hold up on repeat viewings, Guardians does. Avengers climax was way cooler, but if you watch it again you kinda just get annoyed with the movie wanting it to get to the good part. Guardians' climax was less spectacular, but on a whole it was a much better movie with funny or spectacular stuff happening from beginning to end.

So weird, I feel exactly opposite ... Avengers holds up while Guardians fall off a bit with repeated viewing. Nothing in either movie beats the "take my hand" callback in Guardians, with Peter's mom. I'm still crying.  :sweat:

All Stop. On Screen.

finally saw lucy.

wow.

is ironic that while watching a movie about a woman who is able to increasing access her brain's potential, we felt as if we were losing iq points the longer we watched the film.  most mind-numbing stoopid flick we has seen since the ice pirates, and not near as amusing.

HA! Good Fun!

ps the danish joe buck wannabee getting splaterized in the first few minutes o' the film were the high point o' the film for us.  

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Joe Buck wannabee getting splatterized? I might need to see this...:p

(...although, to be honest, most other sportscasters bother me more than Joe Buck...and I say that as a Packers fan, and he and Aikman sportscast the majority of their games)

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.