Can u explain how death system works? I got confused

Haha Yeah, hollywood man. I love the Vikings show on history channel but you'll see a guy take 2 inchs of arrow to the shoulder and he's all Blaarhhh im dead'. I'm thinking dude... dude. That didn't hit your brain, heart, lunge or kidneys... your fine. Arrows aren't exactly known for there massive wound or internal organ shredding capabilities.

I agree though definitely don't need any heavy simulation stuff. One reason I like there current system, anything could be improved though. Simples good though, better it's simple then convoluted. As far as axes, arrows and firebolts... I got a solution though. Check this out, we replace all of those thing with boxing glove like similies. All magic can just be different varying sizes of boxing gloves. Swords and axes can just be coated in boxing-glove material and arrows well, blunt arrows. Boom, now you got a great reason to always be knocked out first. Crits can even have a %chance to auto-knock out like Tison. :p

....and Dragon's Dogma was the ****. Climb a Griffon and it just takes off, trying to kick you off heh. If Capcom can remake that magic but with a more detailed and cohesive open world environment it'll be golden. Preferably with co-op.

-edit-

Forgot my serious note on that. Your basically describing d20 3E. I mean they had HP, and DMG. But they also had non-lethal dmg which effected a mirrored bar of your HP. If that hit 0 you where knocked unconscious. I also liked when you hit 0 HP you where knocked down and bleeding out. That kinda feels a bit convoluted though and is kinda 'hidden'. Also, weapons never do non lethal dmg unless its all it does which kinda negated the idea of that being a full system in all combat you know?

So yeah I think that would work good, would probably look really similar to PoE system actually. Would probably have both bars being closer to each other though. I'd personally keep there graze/hit/crit concept and mix that into altering the sale of non-lethal to lethal at that point you know? Normal hit and you take equal, crits increased lethal, graze is all lessened non-lethal. But that's more complex... also bleed out on hp 0 so you can be stabilized but brought back 'wounded' like they got now.

...yup.

Edited by Adhin
  • Like 1

Def Con: kills owls dead

Yeah, I knew 3rd Ed. D&D did that. I just tend to go straight for the concept I'm thinking of, and not for "Like such-and-such system," because I inevitably fail to remember certain specifics of that particular system, and that ends up causing more confusion unless I just fully explain the exact concept I'm going for anyway, heh.

Also, things do get a little more complex when you've got two different types of damage. However, that doesn't really make things ultra complicated or anything. Think of it this way: PoE currently has 9-or-so different damage types. Imagine non-lethal damage is just called "concussive" or something, and it's just a damage type. Now imagine that "concussive" damage only hits your Endurance bar, and all other damage hits your Health bar. Now, you start with nothing doing Concussive damage (in your design process), and go through deciding what should deal non-lethal damage, and what shouldn't.

It's really not that complex, inherently. Sure, you could get REALLLLY complex with that. But, it's just 2 things instead of one. Now, I mean, taking the current PoE system and converting that... that would be no quick-and-easy task. But, I just mean designing your game from the start that way. It would be nice to see that representation of damage, especially in a game that's already kind of representing it (with two "health" bars) in a game like PoE. You could even apply the max-health strikes idea to both bars, independently. Did you drop in combat because of your non-lethal damage? You get a penalty to your maximum Endurance. I dunno exactly how much of one, or how long it lasts/how it gets removed. That remains to be figured. But, it's a disincentive for being downed, while not being a horribly huge penalty just for being downed one time. The more times you consecutively let people become downed, the worse it would be for you. Which is kind of the idea behind Health/Endurance as it currently is; the more damage you take, the less damage you're able to take in the next encounter before you're in a lot of trouble. If you get down to 50 Health, then it doesn't matter that your Endurance'll recharge after combat.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

In BG unconsciousness wasn't about an endurance gauge either, so that's not really a problem. It could although end before the end of the fight.

Edited by CaptainMace

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

May i ask why there are no resurrection spells? Was it due to the lores in Eternity?

I would guess it was done to alter a gameplay mechanic that the devs didnt find that great.

I believe it also ties in with the lore as you say, but I doubt that was the primary reason.

Edited by Striped_Wolf

Yeah the old D&D Raise Dead + Heal or just Resurrection made "death" pretty much of a non-issue.

Didn't raise dead make you permanently lose CON and Resurrection had a chance of perm death?  Seems like issues to me.

Yeah the old D&D Raise Dead + Heal or just Resurrection made "death" pretty much of a non-issue.

You mean except for that pesky level and CON loss?

Yep, if you used Raise dead ... no Con loss from Resurrect as I recall (been 15-20 years since I played mush D&D).

Didn't raise dead make you permanently lose CON and Resurrection had a chance of perm death?  Seems like issues to me.

Any raise had a perma-death chance based on your Resurrection/Survival (which was based on your Con).

Yep, if you used Raise dead ... no Con loss from Resurrect as I recall (been 15-20 years since I played mush D&D).

The CON loss from Resurrect was only if the subject was level 1. The point being, I would consider those penalties to be "issues", particularly the permanent stat loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys from what you have said, if i get knocked down in fight, opponents stop focusing me right? so my Health wont drop any lower then the endurance that i just lost?

Does it works the same vs opponents? if i knock someone down ( his endurance is 0, and he has like 100 health left ) isnt it possible to my opponents to heal his endurance same way we can?Cause i dont wanna get suprised in the middle of a fight when i got 1 guy down, and bam he is up again hitting me from behind..

Twitch.tv/MorbusOfKookyB  - Will stream PotD,ToI,Expert.

I'm pretty sure enemies' Health is pretty much pointless. It's possible some foes can use "resurrection"-style abilities to get their allies back on their feet, and they can't do that if all their Health is gone (only if they're out of Endurance.).

But, honestly, it would've been pretty interesting if there was some kind of bleedout/stabilization/regain-consciousness system in the game, that applied to both you AND your enemies. Maybe if they knock you down, but don't kill you, and they leave you alone for 20 seconds, you'll get back up and recover 25% Endurance or something. Same goes for the player choosing not to kill enemies, but to just down them, then switch focus. That, and friendlies could speed up the process. Maybe you could get someone back up in 10 seconds if you spend that whole 10 seconds resuscitating them. *shrug*. Just something like that.

Of course, that would require much more advanced AI decisions.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u