moot leaves halfchan

PK htiw klaw eriF

Really? 4Chan has been huge for over a decade, has caused endless problems, shaped internet meme culture for ages, frames the debate on online anonymity and has been responsible for much of the unmasking of Scientology and all you guys are getting from this is GamerGate? For good or ill, 4chan is an enormous factor in why internet culture is what it is now.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it's barely relevant connection to GamerGate which I only brought up because of KP's chan-speak reference because people didn't understand a stupid nickname for another site. Talk about tunnel vision. It's not KP that made this thread about GamerGate, it's you guys. For people avoiding the subject you sure are quick to focus on it. "I stay away from it... unless I really, really want to talk about it".

You give 4chan far more credit than it deserves.

While it's made it's mark like a great many other sites, it's hardly shaped much of anything 'for ages', or was or is an 'enormous factor in why internet culture is what it is now.' It's where a bunch of mostly immature people hang out. It's like the nerd emo kid table in the jr high cafeteria on a large scale. And yea.. for the people who are sitting at that table day after day, it's been memorable, perhaps even life shaping, but for the vast majority that make up the rest out there 4chan is either something totally irrelevant to them or they hope the people sitting at that table 'grow out of it'. It seems the guy who started it and runs it finally did to an extent. Good for him, but other than that, so what or who cares?

Ah.  That makes sense.  So this thread is mostly an excuse by KP to relay a lame (and, to us Olds, confusing) nickname and exult in some kind of GG triumphalism?

No honeysuckle, it's to point out that moot left 4chan. That's why there's a link to moot's post about leaving 4chan.

Then why the diminutive jargon in the title and link to some weird re-hosting domain name and not 4chan.org? 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

What is "weird" about the archive site, exactly ? Not exactly uncommon in use. Also a bit odd to click on a thread only to complain it should be easier to ignore, heh.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ah.  That makes sense.  So this thread is mostly an excuse by KP to relay a lame (and, to us Olds, confusing) nickname and exult in some kind of GG triumphalism?

No honeysuckle, it's to point out that moot left 4chan. That's why there's a link to moot's post about leaving 4chan.

Then why the diminutive jargon in the title and link to some weird re-hosting domain name and not 4chan.org?

1. It's commonly referred to halfchan by folks who frequent such sites.

2. Halfchan is notoriously NSFW. I provided an archive to avoid linking anyone directly to it incase of filters or an aversion to frequenting such a place, as well as saving this iteration of the page in question.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

(Can't we keep all that idiocy on the designated thread, where sensible folks can ignore it?)

Seriously bro, that's three passive aggressive questions (the first one, unquoted, was genuine enough). That's a cheap technique when Bruce does it and it's a cheap technique here. Take your own advice from the bottom one and just ignore the thread if it offends you or doesn't interest you. If mootykins and 4chan are so very insignificant the thread will be dead in a few days anyway.

(meh, 4chan. Usenet OGs know where the original anarchic anything goes pseudo anonymous posting 'boards' were at, and they didn't have some all powerful 'admin' running everything. Until asterisking Google tried subsuming everything into asterisking 'Google Groups')

• Like 2

(meh, 4chan. Usenet OGs know where the original anarchic anything goes pseudo anonymous posting 'boards' were at, and they didn't have some all powerful 'admin' running everything. Until asterisking Google tried subsuming everything into asterisking 'Google Groups')

Yep.... and that's when my severe dislike for Google began.

The RIAA and MPAA have been doing a job on usenet as well in recent years. It's still out there and strong though, but a lot harder for a lot of people to get good access to. I currently access it through a server in the Netherlands. Most 4channers probably have no idea what usenet even is.

End of an era that's for sure. I wonder what will happen with 4chan.

Again?

Okay, actually I heard about this earlier, so not surprised. I just remember the time before when he was talking about leaving to start a social networking site that never appeared.

If I remember correctly he has tried twice to open new site, neither succeeded for long.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

(Can't we keep all that idiocy on the designated thread, where sensible folks can ignore it?)

Seriously bro, that's three passive aggressive questions (the first one, unquoted, was genuine enough). That's a cheap technique when Bruce does it and it's a cheap technique here. Take your own advice from the bottom one and just ignore the thread if it offends you or doesn't interest you. If mootykins and 4chan are so very insignificant the thread will be dead in a few days anyway.

You seem to think making a relevant and important point is "passive aggressive " ...don't be so sensitive. Learn to take constructive criticism in the way its intended...constructively ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The usual suspects are salty as ever when the youngsters are stepping out of their place, speaking their "cool speak", and thinking that their "insane" and "insensible" stuff matters.

This was a somewhat aggressive post.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Really? 4Chan has been huge for over a decade, has caused endless problems, shaped internet meme culture for ages, frames the debate on online anonymity and has been responsible for much of the unmasking of Scientology and all you guys are getting from this is GamerGate? For good or ill, 4chan is an enormous factor in why internet culture is what it is now.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it's barely relevant connection to GamerGate which I only brought up because of KP's chan-speak reference because people didn't understand a stupid nickname for another site. Talk about tunnel vision. It's not KP that made this thread about GamerGate, it's you guys. For people avoiding the subject you sure are quick to focus on it. "I stay away from it... unless I really, really want to talk about it".

You give 4chan far more credit than it deserves.

While it's made it's mark like a great many other sites, it's hardly shaped much of anything 'for ages', or was or is an 'enormous factor in why internet culture is what it is now.' It's where a bunch of mostly immature people hang out. It's like the nerd emo kid table in the jr high cafeteria on a large scale. And yea.. for the people who are sitting at that table day after day, it's been memorable, perhaps even life shaping, but for the vast majority that make up the rest out there 4chan is either something totally irrelevant to them or they hope the people sitting at that table 'grow out of it'. It seems the guy who started it and runs it finally did to an extent. Good for him, but other than that, so what or who cares?

Maybe I do give it more credit than it deserves, but that's not why. If I were to stay in your analogy, I never sat at the table. I've never been a member of a chan board and very rarely visited, possibly less than a dozen times in the decade it's been up.

End of an era that's for sure. I wonder what will happen with 4chan.

It will become a cheaper Something Awful.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Same decline happened when CmdrTaco left Slashdot. Though it isn't really that bad currently.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As Gromnir already pointed out, there was nothing passive in Enoch's response, it was pretty standard aggression.   :p

To explain: it's sticking the question marks at the end of aggressive statements that to my mind pushes it from being a reasonable response to being passive aggression, I have no problem with your responses, as illustration, nor with the original question Enoch asked which was entirely reasonable. I don't even have a problem with Gromnir's responses here even if I may disagree with them, and he's someone I'm very likely to find subjective or objective fault with, if fault is there.

Specifically, question marks imply a desire to continue engagement and actively invite a response when the (sensible) response- and the one he suggested himself- really ought to be to state your opinion, if wanted (already done), and then leave the thread and subject you don't like.

To ask a (hopefully not aggressive, and mostly rhetorical) question myself: what's the point of asking a question if you don't want a response or the thread to continue, and specifically what is the point of asking an aggressively worded question if you don't want said response? It just increases the likelihood of your disliked thread continuing on and you aren't going to get an answer you like because, well, you already know it's a subject you don't like. It is at best classic make work, asking questions for the sake of putting out the person you're asking, at worst it's fishing for a- specifically aggressive- response. Those are both recognised traits of passive aggression.

(I've got no problem with Enoch himself, I just think that particular technique is utterly unconstructive and wastes everyone's time)

As Gromnir already pointed out, there was nothing passive in Enoch's response, it was pretty standard aggression.   :p

utterly unconstructive and wastes everyone's time)

Now you know how many  of us feel about the GG thread, welcome to our world  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, if you're going to apply that - pretty much every thread on this one. Who really cares what you did today, after all.

Well, if you're going to apply that - pretty much every thread on this one. Who really cares what you did today, after all.

Ouch...Malc ...that hurts...I would  almost be offended if I really cared  ;) 

John Milton 

Well your ego aside, consider the name of the thread I was referencing..

Sorry Malc, I was just joking with Zora...hence the :biggrin: . Of course I respect the right of people to comment in the GG thread...I comment there myself.  I see everyone is a little serious today.....amazing how we get mass killings in Nigeria, brutal beheadings by ISIS, Russian troops crossing into Ukraine and that barely gets an emotional reaction.

But the Pretty Women thread gets closed down and suddenly no one has a sense of humour  :shrugz: 

John Milton 

What kind of reaction do you want from those threads ? Pointless diatribes of rage ? At a certain point it becomes akin to leading a firebrand sermon on how 1+1 is indeed 2.

Anyway those things are old news, Boko Haram's been butchering people for a long time, Russia returned to being the bogeyman and ISIS are doing what ISIS does best. So the tank is kind of empty there, so to speak.

Edited by Malcador

Sorry Malc, I was just joking with Zora...hence the :biggrin: . Of course I respect the right of people to comment in the GG thread...I comment there myself.  I see everyone is a little serious today.....amazing how we get mass killings in Nigeria, brutal beheadings by ISIS, Russian troops crossing into Ukraine and that barely gets an emotional reaction.

But the Pretty Women thread gets closed down and suddenly no one has a sense of humour  :shrugz: 

Considering that ever since the whole GG thing began members who used to browse the 4chan image boards have seen the last place they would have thought would turn PC ban them it is understandable that there is a fear that this signifies the beginning of larger changes to make the community more "inclusive".

Also we're a little testy over the whole affair, might not be a good time to speak in favor of it as it might come off as bragging or condescension. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif