Ambient sounds + NPCs : cities too empty ? + Animations of characters

Hi, here a little suggestion: i see that in taverns we have lot of empty tables, would be REALLY nice to add some npc who's sitting on tables while eating\drinking\whatever, cause it feels so weird and unnatural at the moment.

Fill thoose tables with people, guys! i know u can do it! :-)

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 1

OE: "Hey guys, even though we're less then 2 months away from having to send out the gold master for production we are still going to implement new stuff because of your feedback."

Forum: "That's not good enough! Create a bunch ofl unique NPCs with unique scripts and interactions, please. Muh immershun!"

• Like 3

I hope there are horses walking around randomly, too.

Yeah, you wouldn't want those horses to be too stable

Lephys? Is that you?

Crap! My doppleganger! Just stop it! What did those dopples ever do to you?! T_T

All I'm asking for is a single otter.

Splendid idea! That otter help things a bit. 8D

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

@cloudpm

You sound like my wife. Of course I talk too much, forums like this attract people that talk too much. Nature of the beast, I'm afraid. My issue is that people are nitpicking rather trivial stuff when the game is going to be much better served with the devs focusing on tweaking, bug fixing, and stability- not adding stuff where the sole purpose seems to be for immersion. The community is doing the game a disservice by trying to convince the devs to be adding in a bunch more stuff and not focusing on finalizing the game. The same people that are whining about "empty" cities (which they aren't) are going to be the same people whining about bugs they didn't have time to fix because they were adding filler NPC/PNJ's whatevers.

@Lephys

Your disease is spreading. Soon there will be a pun pandemic.

• Like 1

@cloudpm

You sound like my wife. Of course I talk too much, forums like this attract people that talk too much. Nature of the beast, I'm afraid. My issue is that people are nitpicking rather trivial stuff when the game is going to be much better served with the devs focusing on tweaking, bug fixing, and stability- not adding stuff where the sole purpose seems to be for immersion. The community is doing the game a disservice by trying to convince the devs to be adding in a bunch more stuff and not focusing on finalizing the game. The same people that are whining about "empty" cities (which they aren't) are going to be the same people whining about bugs they didn't have time to fix because they were adding filler NPC/PNJ's whatevers.

@Lephys

Haha, and thanks god, I'm not your wife. Hopefully. The world is huge, and every person needs someone that fits him... otherwise ;)

You are funny. Really. You talk. And too much. If you don't like people "whining", why are you commenting almost every single post here ? Dude, it's been now 6 pages, you should know that it is about "emptyness" or maybe you need me to remind you that it was a project based on a fund raise... So yes, please accept my apologies for asking a few "cosmetic stuff" in the game.

I don't know, just stop and go wander around. You are philosophing, and blabla... I have already explained my point of view : I am not a hater that hates the game or whatsoever. I am not "whining", whining is something pejorative/negative... I am just expressing my worries and hope that they will be heard.

So please, stop doing your "1 vs all", this is getting ridiculous and nobody's really answering you btw.

If you don't like it, one more time, please go on some other threads. We know that you are confident. We know you believe in the devs. Yes we will all have a great game... I just hope that you won't start to go tweaking some .ini things if the game that you are "thinking" fits you.

I'm just waiting for it too much, and I'm afraid to be disappointed... That's it. I'm not complaining like a fanboy about "oh PoE is so bad !! Divinity can already do all of this stuff ".

Anyway, hope your wife has some pills. Should be hard. lol.

Edited by cloudpm

What is so hard about acknowledging sensible points? Ideally, the game would have 7,000 NPCs in every location in the city, all behaving exactly like real people would. Clearly, that's not a priority, though. Doesn't mean it's a dumb ideal. It just means that there's very little time, and other things are really more important. We already get a dev response in here saying "Hey, we'll work on that emptiness a bit before release," and more people post "Hey, it'd really be cool if you could do even MORE, thanks!"

Lord Wafflebum comments on it, and somehow he:

A) is being unreasonable, and

B) warrants personal insults about how horrible it would be to be his wife?

He has a point, devoid of liking or disliking it. You don't have to be 100% wrong or lose at anything for him to have a sensible point. Maybe contemplate that a little?

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

@Lephys

Surely you meant a pundemic.

What is so hard about acknowledging sensible points? Ideally, the game would have 7,000 NPCs in every location in the city, all behaving exactly like real people would.

That's not my idea of ideal. I don't want to have to sit there mousing over 7000 NPCs trying to find the one quest-related guy I'm looking for. Even 50 cosmetic civilians on screen at once would probably cause some annoyance.

I live in a city of over four million, and at most times of the day, in most places in the city, there really aren't that many people wandering/driving around. It's only at peak hours in a handful of the busiest spots that you get big mobs.

Edited by BrainMuncher
  • Like 3

Guyz this is the internet you won't be meeting anyone on this forum you will just be seeing them in cyber space.  Time is short to be worry about what other people post and judging them on what they post.   There is no rule or law that someone can't reply to post as many times as they want.

Chill it down a bit.

Devs will be able to fix bugs and polish the game before launch.   People will complain about bugs and what is not in the game that's a given but don't let it effect you on an emotional level.

Let's get those places living Devs!

Surely you meant a pundemic.

You beat me to it.

That's not my idea of ideal. I don't want to have to sit there mousing over 7000 NPCs trying to find the one quest-related guy I'm looking for. Even 50 cosmetic civilians on screen at once would probably cause some annoyance.

I live in a city of over four million, and at most times of the day, in most places in the city, there really aren't that many people wandering/driving around. It's only at peak hours in a handful of the busiest spots that you get big mobs.

Not that 7,000 wasn't an exaggeration, but it's not like you're really going to be looking for a person in a crowd very often. If someone's important, you'll know where to find them, or at least contact them.

Also, you live in a city of over four million, but is it a 17th-century city? :)

Anywho, my point was mainly regarding the infeasibility of whatever anyone's ideal state would be, within the current production timeline. Or rather, that what can practically be implemented before release is typically short of ideal, in game development in general.

I live in a city of over ten million - there are always people, crowds even, everywhere, at all times of day...I don't want to experience that in my computer games too :o:lol:

I would like some random NPCs hanging around - (maybe give the backer NPCs a walk-cycle) - the number in BG was perfect for me but a few more/less would be fine.

Ambient sounds of a crowded city / quiet village would do more for me though.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I can't believe I missed pundemic...

So, only people that agree with you are allowed in this thread? That doesn't make much sense. It was not my intention to accuse you directly of whining; you were articulate and outlined your preferences reasonably. I apologize that you thought it was directed at you. Others have been... much less reasonable and that has irked me considering I don't see what the issue is. I still stand by my rant, however, much like you hoping to be heard. I don't think it equates to a cosmetic issue and is ultimately an unnecessary drain on resources. Is that not fair? Also, I don't know what an .ini is or why it would require tweaking so I guess that's not something you have to worry about?

I can't believe I missed pundemic...

So, only people that agree with you are allowed in this thread? That doesn't make much sense. It was not my intention to accuse you directly of whining; you were articulate and outlined your preferences reasonably. I apologize that you thought it was directed at you. Others have been... much less reasonable and that has irked me considering I don't see what the issue is. I still stand by my rant, however, much like you hoping to be heard. I don't think it equates to a cosmetic issue and is ultimately an unnecessary drain on resources. Is that not fair? Also, I don't know what an .ini is or why it would require tweaking so I guess that's not something you have to worry about?

Again, I'm starting to think that you only want to understand what you want to understand.

You can have your opinion, I have mine. But don't judge : here is the difference.

You started to talk about "disease" and "pun pandemic". 

Have I talked trash about you before that ? No.

That's it.

I will also pitch in with my agreement on the "density" issue. The bigger towns and cities need a feeling of being just that, and not as the OP states "ghost towns" Sounds and background animation is probably better than adding peasants if you have to choose though. As sounds add a lot of atmosphere to these isometric games.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

Actually there is a disease going on: a serious case of miscommunication (and perhaps a language barrier) causing multipostitis.

On-topic: Further to BAdler's post, the devs are well aware of the issue already and will look into it:
http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/108776456306/poe-hi-josh-thank-you-for-awesome-job-this-may

Although additional "flavor" NPCs might be limited due to PC resource draining (we're not talking sprites anymore, guys), the walla is pretty much granted.

Nothing gold can stay.

Most people would consider that a bug.

Why? Don't u think that having lot of EMPTY tables\chairs looks just weird? Even in Baldur's gate we had people drinking and eating on tables or just sitting on some random chair 

star-trek-joke-gif.gif

• Like 1

Waiter! Fresh underwear, seven blankets and a bucket of moist towelettes!

I'd definately like to see some children playing, more beaters, beggars and various races/species dressed in different fashion!  :grin:

(but I bet there is not enough time for such a combinations, unfortunately..)

Edited by Naith1

People don't sit on tables.

Kk, so fun. U know what i meant tho.

Not usually, they don't. But not never, either. He didn't specify the number of people that should be present sitting on tables, so we can't really rule it out as unreasonable, as some quantity of people sitting on tables could be acceptable. :)

You started to talk about "disease" and "pun pandemic". 

Have I talked trash about you before that ? No.

That's it.

So, when someone comments on someone whose OOoE title is "Punsmith of the Obsidian Order" starting a pun pandemic, that justifies some kind of affront to you?

*scratches head*

People don't sit on tables.

Kk, so fun. U know what i meant tho.

Not usually, they don't. But not never, either. He didn't specify the number of people that should be present sitting on tables, so we can't really rule it out as unreasonable, as some quantity of people sitting on tables could be acceptable. original.gif

I agree. In General I support the 10-20-70 rule in RPGs.

10% of the population sits on tables.

20% of the population hangs from the chandaliers/lamp posts/trees.

And of course the remaining 70% would behave 'normally'.

• Like 3