RPGCodex 2014 Games of the Year

Sensuki

Oh, are you saying Ulitma VII has Romance? I thought you were saying you could just choose to be gay ?

Yes they have romances and sex. Good Lord it's like talking to a gibbon, I think i've had enough of trying to do so.

Now, now Nonek try to be a little magnanimous in your victory, you know I'm just not as clever as you  :ermm: 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Overall I found it to be a fetid stew of acerbic grumbling, unchecked profanity, and hyperbolic negativity. At this point, I don't take their opinions too seriously because they aren't representative of what I enjoy. But they do put out the occasional interesting review.

Why is negativity such a bad thing in a forum, anyway ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Overall I found it to be a fetid stew of acerbic grumbling, unchecked profanity, and hyperbolic negativity. At this point, I don't take their opinions too seriously because they aren't representative of what I enjoy. But they do put out the occasional interesting review.

Why is negativity such a bad thing in a forum, anyway ?

It has a human cost.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

The negativity is like a language you will have to learn to interpret. But yeah, it's fun when people are spewing venom on ****ty new games, but when the Codex negativity reaches classics like Arcanum and PST I can also find it a little bit unwarranted.

The only really big problem the codex has- so long as you're not a delicate snowflake- is the same one every forum has to greater or lesser extent. Half the time people want to be edgy, the other time they want to do groupthink and if they can they'll try to do both simultaneously. If the codex like a game you can usually be sure it is good, it's just the stuff that they don't like which you can't be sure of because they tend to dislike nearly everything.

PST is a mediocre jRPG which is worse than KOTOR and Arcanum is just plain bad at everything except setting.

The Arcanum part is true, I'm afraid.

The Adventure forum is slightly less hostile than I had expected, and that forum is pretty level headed, at least.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Arcanum is just plain bad at everything except setting.

IDK. Arcanum setting always felt pretty boring to me.

I don't know what the **** you guys are talking about, Arcanum had an excellent magic system and schools. Playing as a mage never felt so good and the story was great.

Sure combat was bad and the leveling curve could have some tuning but these were really problems with the genre at the time and there are many similar complaints about other RPGs of the era.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Arcanum is ****. They managed to make a game more unbalanced than 2e with content that is more boring than a Bendis comic.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

Arcanum is just plain bad at everything except setting.

IDK. Arcanum setting always felt pretty boring to me.

To me, it was a cool concept that got less and less impressive the more I saw of the actual implementation. 

I dig the music, though. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

Arcanum had a broken combat, a broken plot / pacing structure, big crests and troughs in quality... but it had a setting nobody else has done in a proper CRPG in a quality way, and it had the most Fallouty writing and quest design other than FO1/2 and F:NV themselves. It's also filled with moments that have rarely been replicated in style or excitement - like the Caladon quest (negotiate with the King for a major economic treaty between two nations, get lobbied by people for various policies, at the same time, maybe assassinate the King for a different faction?), the Siamese twins mystery. It's a unique treasure in the history of CRPGs.

• Like 1

Wow, I just mentioned that and now this is looking more like the Codex by the minute :-

Anyway, for me - I guess mostly a "story[-------]" using Codex terminology - Arcanum is one of my top 5 RPGs of all time.

Edited by TrueNeutral
term no longer accepted

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Arcanum is ****. They managed to make a game more unbalanced than 2e with content that is more boring than a Bendis comic.

You Sir! are a scallywag and no do gooder and I challenge you to a duel!

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I don't know what the **** you guys are talking about, Arcanum had an excellent magic system and schools. Playing as a mage never felt so good and the story was great.

Sure combat was bad and the leveling curve could have some tuning but these were really problems with the genre at the time and there are many similar complaints about other RPGs of the era.

Nah. D&D, Fallout etc had problems with balance and gamesystems, D&D was poor at low and high levels, Fallout had massively over (by far the greatest problem) and underpowered builds. Arcanum's gamesystems were poor to atrocious at high levels, mid levels and low levels and pervaded its various builds. Mage was probably best because you could learn one spell (Harm?) and at least spam it to win almost every encounter and experience the stuff which was done well.

Arcanum was absolutely awesome concepts marred irremediably by the worst gameplay implementations I've ever had the misfortune to see. It's actually worse than merely being a bad game, which are after all dime a dozen, it's a very very disappointing game because it should have been so much better than it was.

If someone like Obsidz kickstarted a second Arcanum I'd be there with bells on the concept was so good.

You Sir! are a scallywag and no do gooder and I challenge you to a duel!

Pistols at dawn leader.

The best part of Arcanum is character creation. Which was absolutely sublime.

Unfortunately, the rest of the game never really matched its initial promise. I suppose Arcanum was a microcosm of Troika in general. So much heart, potential, and ideas to be truly great.

Baseball analogy alert: Superb minor league 5-Tool prospect that could never put it all together in the show.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

TBH I have never really felt that balancing was such a big problem in Arcanum. You could basically say that the game offers you to play as a ****ing necromancer death machine, which is to be considered a separate difficulty. You might interpret that as meaning that I have a RP approach to character creation, as opposed to a gamist view. In any case, I have even less problem with there being many bad builds than I have with there being OP ones which make the game too easy. In fact, I think bad builds increase replayability. I know that at least I have replayed Arcanum several times with intentionally gimped builds to complete the game in unexpected ways. It's more fun than giving monsters 50% more HP or something like that.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

The RPGCodex has an openly fabulous moderator. Not once have I seen someone call him out for being gay, but I have seen people challenge his point of view on RPGs.

The Codex doesn't give a flying f@@k who you are, or where you come from - but you better be prepared to discuss RPGs if you're going to post.

ah yes, the codexian equivalent of, "i have gay friends," as a rebuttal o' homophobia.

*snort*

unadulterated horsep00p.  your claim that the mod is open gay and receives no attacks is not the same as denying rampant homophobia. you is also notably silent regarding antisemitism accusations.

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

is a visual aid for understanding codex.  some folks need visual aids.

as for arcanum, we admit that we enjoyed the game most before actual playing it. the game were hyped more than any rpg being developed during the same time period, and why not?  the guys who made fallout were gonna release a new crpg with a unique steampunk setting.  what crpg fan wouldn't be anticipating such a game? every print magazine had glowing previews o' the game and editors who were unabashedly hyping the title.  

*shrug*

game were boring. yeah, it were an unbalanced and buggy mess, but the true failure o' arcanum were indifference. boring quests. boring characters. boring core story. inexplicably, even the setting as implemented ended up being rather "meh."  am suspecting some folks is such die hard adherents o' the church o' cain that they convinced themselves that arcanum were a fine piece o' crpg game development.  no doubt other folks bought into the hype so much that they actual had to enjoy the game; same weirdness happens with movies. some folks get so emotional invested that they seeming Need to enjoy the finished product regardless o' how bad it actual is. am s'posing some small number o' folks genuine liked arcanum for what it was... 'course those folks got an extreme peculiar tastes pallet as it don't seem to require compelling writing or noteworthy design and implementation o' balanced/rational game mechanics. but heck, more than a few folks defended HoW as an expansion for iwd, so we understand just how ridiculous folks can be 'bout games. the thing is, codexian groupthink managed to convince a significant number o' folks that arcanum were anything other than a good-idea-gone-bad.  

it is mild amusing that a site that prides self on being so adversarial and uncompromising is so predictable. in any event, the more you criticize codex, the more the l00ns think such criticism is proof that they is doing things the "proper" way.  weird.

HA! Good Fun!

edit: 80% of our posts get weird font size non-meshing. odd

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't know what the **** you guys are talking about, Arcanum had an excellent magic system and schools.

It's not setting, it's magic system. Setting is, you know, game world and lore.

Playing as a mage never felt so good

Yeah, how could I forget. Bind Harm to to all keys and put a big rock on your keyboard. Exquisite.

and the story was great.

Here I agree. Edited by prodigydancer

You people never learned the joys of disintegrate.

I made a multiclass warrior/mage and boy was it good. Just have haste and shield of protection on and hack all your problems away.

@Kaine: I can't do pistols i'm a mage.

village_idiot.gif

@Kaine: I can't do pistols i'm a mage.

The only real problem i has with arcanum was getting too powerfull too quickly. Or maybe the combat was just so easy with sniper rifle or something. I have to play it again one of these days with proper mods.

1.13 killed off Ja2.