The Weird, Random, and Interesting things that Fit Nowhere Else Thread..

Raithe

I wasn't sure what you wanted me to do with the last link.  I looked up violent crime in California.  While the 60's look great, the current numbers are just a bit higher than they were in the 70's.  But factoring in the doubling of the population that seems pretty positive.  It's also not going to take into account how much easier it is to report crimes (911 didn't exist until the late 60's), the increase in police departments, and other modern factors.  

For example, the stigma around sexual abuse has changed dramatically.  If the number of reported sexual abuses cases has gone way up in recent years, does that mean there is more sexual abuse happening, or simply more reporting?

The last link lets you check crime figures for yourself based on FBI data. I didn't look state by state (ain't nobody got time fo' dat), I just glanced at nation-wide aggregate data. While the War on Drugs is federal policy, I'm not sure how state-level legislation affects things, though a majority of the prison population is in state penitentiaries. Anyway, in 1960 you have ~5 murders and non-negligent manslaughters per 100k inhabitants, and in 2012 you have ~47. Aggravated assaults is 86 vs 252, 60 vs 113 robberies, etc. Sure, I'll accept that people report more rapes today, but I doubt many aggravated assaults and murders went unreported in 1960. It's 1960 we're talking about, not 1881 Arizona. Murder rates in 1950 are even lower than in 1960.

Remember that the original contention was that your WWII-vet grampa wouldn't agree that things are more ****ed up now that back in the day, so I looked at crime rates for the post-WWII US.

You may be surprised, but I take no pleasure in being "that guy" constantly yelling and pointing at the elephant in the room. And I'll gladly admit that I'm greatly ignorant about regional differences in policy, outlook, legislation, demographic makeup and pretty much every other important detail. I'm also aware that the devil is in the detail. Still, there are huge red flags to be worried about, and crime and prison population rates are only some of them.

And that's another thread I've derailed, so at this point I'll quietly bow out.

edit: I don't always herp, but when I do, derp

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Did you think I was arguing with you?  I was pretty supportive of the idea that we have major issues with our criminal justice system in general.  However I still don't see society being worse off than it was 50 years ago, not even close, and I don't see the point in looking back with rose tinted glasses.  I find the whole idea that we are headed towards some Sodom and Gomorrah scenario fairly absurd, which is what Meshugger was putting forward.  I'd rather focus on solving our societal problems, like prison system, than trying to restore a vague concept of social values.   :shrugz:  

• Like 1

Nihilism in Society

Nihilism is accepted in society, or people are ignorant of it. It presents itself in many different ways; the most prominent form of nihilistic behavior is social perversity, which again, can be expressed in multiple formats. The natures of humanity are far more superior than the tools ( words ) we use to communicate, making us highly susceptible to stupidities and critical failures when under their influence.

An example of social perversity:

A Statement:

"It's in my, and the worlds, best interests if we're being humane, to support the Earth so that it can sustain life for the longest time possible".

A Response:

"What?!" - General Stupidity

This is the most common kind of social perversity.

I and others were able to read and understand.

If you hold back prior knowledge, thought to be smarter, in the place of filtering the knowledge via your own analysis of nature, you won't ****ing understand anything that's not said by educators - you are a passive, progressive, tool - like the words.

The ego of humans is given a seat of power through the lesser nature of words [ in relation to the accepted debate of "What?"], and through their reputation, that's often reinforced by an egotistical and opinion-based administration team. In any case, both get away with the act. The admins proclaim expertise in a field, such as philosophy, and their opinions are in flashing lights, so to speak - their very presence is an act of perversity; it's destroying philosophy, it's making potentially good philosophers walk away from the subject, and their support is this train of petty stupidities that keeps their show on the road. At the end of the day, at least they can laugh to keep their egos warm.

From that single response, many types of perversity can be understood, but I will not continue naming them, I will simply make my point that these types need to be removed from society. To protect the young minds of today, and to make sure that they have a stable tomorrow. What's so bad about it? It's difficult for people to keep focused under such stupidity [ in reference to "What?" ], and talented individuals to progress [ in reference to bad administration ]. This whole post makes sense, but confusion will arise after a single word response like "What?", and on top of that, it could be brought to an end quicker by way of moderation. A classic metaphor, hell and a harsher hell - which again, is fine and dandy, but it's no place for children to grow up.

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

Okay, before this thread devolves into something else.. I'll throw in your general random stuff here:

Epic Times - Star Wars Actor Arrested After Car Chase

An actor from the Star Wars movies has been arrested in Charleston, South Carolina – the actor who played the young Anakin Skywalker in “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace,” Jake Lloyd, was taken into custody after a car chase that didn’t end well for him.

Police say Lloyd was driving in Charleston when Sheriff’s deputies began pursuing him for miles and into another county.

Authorities say Lloyd began passing cars on the double yellow line and started driving recklessly, at high speeds.

The 26-year-old has been charged with reckless driving, failure to stop, resisting arrest and driving without a license.

0622-jake-lloyd-mugshot-1.jpg

Jake Lloyd played young Anakin Skywalker in “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace” – you can’t help but wonder what impact this podracing sequence may have had on his future high speed endeavors…After being chased for miles my the police, Lloyd eventually lost control of his car, ran through a fence, and plowed into several trees.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

snip

I had previously heard he hadn't had such a great time since the Phantom Menace...guess here's more proof. :(

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Okay, before this thread devolves into something else.. I'll throw in your general random stuff here:

Epic Times - Star Wars Actor Arrested After Car Chase

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I was in the number-two lane when it passed, that old feeling. I'd post a picture, but it wouldn't do it justice. The new Corvette, even the vanilla, is the best-looking modern American design of anything. From any angle, it is stupidly perfectly executed. The rear-three-quarter view in particular, is how it must feel to be seen with Amber Heard. 

All Stop. On Screen.

BBC - Man builds giant computer at home

Man builds giant computer at home
By Zoe Kleinman Technology reporter, BBC News

_83799931_mp_and_me.jpg

The computer will consist of up to seven panels like this when it is finished.

For many tech companies the race is on to build ever smaller computer processors, but one British man has gone in the opposite direction.

James Newman is building a 14m (45ft) computer processor in the lounge of his bungalow in Cambridge.
Mr Newman's 16-bit "mega processor" will contain 14,000 individual transistors and 3,500 LED Lights.

So far the project had taken him three years and cost about £20,000, he told the BBC.
Mr Newman said he hoped it would have educational value but it would be hard to transport as it was likely to weigh about half a tonne once finished.

Bits of the processor light up as they operate, but other than that the entire machine operates just the same as a standard chip-sized microprocessor found in all computers.

"I was taken with the idea of being able to see how the thing works," Mr Newman, a digital electronics engineer, said.
"I have a visual way of thinking about things, I wanted to be able to see how a computer works and how things flow around within it.
"I intended it as a learning exercise, and I have learned a lot."

_83811960_preg.jpg

The processor that powers the Michigan Micro Mote, the world's smallest computer, is a fraction of the size of a penny

He said his enthusiasm for the project had ebbed and flowed over the years but he hoped to complete it by the end of 2015.
Mr Newman is now relying on "determinedness" to finish his creation, but he is concerned about the space the processor, which is 2m high, will take up.

"When it's set up and running in the living room, there won't be much space for living," he said. "One of the fantasies is to line the hallway with it."

He said the first programs he intended to run on his mega processor were likely to be Tetris, noughts and crosses and 1970s evolutionary simulation Life by mathematician John Conway.

Mr Newman said: "My mother keeps asking, 'What can it do?' I keep saying, 'It's a computer, it can do anything.'
"My friends think it's mad, but I think they are also slightly jealous that I can allow myself to do it."

_83799929_83799928.jpg

James Newman has completed two panels so far.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"An F-4 Phantom flown into a specially designed concrete wall, which is used to protect Nuclear Power Plants. The plane is flying at 500 mph, and is completely vaporized upon impact, while the wall remains standing."

http://i.imgur.com/VSXui45.gifv

• Like 4
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

"I'm not sure how Dolezal symbolizes hedonism.  What, exactly, are you blaming for her issues?  Society in general?  Why don't you try the parents, who home schooled her, moved her around the world, etc.  She hardly fits the mold of a typical part of her generation. "

You are fuil of crap. It's not surprising you defend this evil piece or crap. She even wanted her adoptive brother to lie on her behalf. These horrible horrible people adopted kids and those adopted kids from all stories seem to have turned out reasonably well. To blame the aprents without any facts is baloney.

Also, last i heard they 'traveled'  before she was even born.

\She's nothing more than a fake. Plain 'ol fashion trash.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"An F-4 Phantom flown into a specially designed concrete wall, which is used to protect Nuclear Power Plants. The plane is flying at 500 mph, and is completely vaporized upon impact, while the wall remains standing."

http://i.imgur.com/VSXui45.gifv

Shame to see a Phantom vaporize ... the F-4 was my first fighter love ...  ;(

All Stop. On Screen.

Shame to see a Phantom vaporize ... the F-4 was my first fighter love ...  ;(

Ahhh... the Rhino. Proof that in lieu of sound aerodynamic design any problem can be overcome with pure thrust. And the world's leading distributor of MiG parts  :biggrin:

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

"Volo, you seem to be struggling with basic reading comprehension lately and I wish you the best of luck with your disability."

So, because you feel the need to attack me you have to diss, make fun, and make light of those with acttal disabilities? Typical SJW behaviour. :)

None of that changes the fact that lying and pretending you are something you are not is evil unless you are acting in a movie/tv show/play. PERIOD.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"God isn't a necessary for morality, justice is. God isn't a necessary for heaven and earth, righteousness is.
God is all these things to you, honor, respect, etc. included, but calling them God is an understatement. A lesser wisdom than them all together, ineffable."

You could not believe in God all your life and do good things.

Doing, not thinking. Thought in words is meaningless on terms of 'good'.

Were you good? I didn't waste much and promoted rationalism, thus my goodness goes on into the future, I am what good is. Two wrongs don't make a right, what do two rights make? A brighter future.

"You didn't believe in God" "Time for Hell". - Promotes ignorance and carrying on blindly as "normal" [WTF is normal]...

Also, [backhand Her]

( I thought to myself, what is she thinking, she will get a backhand and then )

Edited by s13ep

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

When do you think is the best time to buy a leather jacket if I was concerned with saving money?

Right now? When we're coming up on the summer when the demand isn't as hot? Or wait 'till after the holiday season when all the retailers are clearancing their stuff?

-Rod Serling

Depends on how hot your summers are, but I'd look around now. Maybe check Goodwill or some other thrift shop regardless.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra