RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

you're right, Twilight and 50 Shades og Grey are literary masterpieces..

I wouldn't say that but both books\movies do resonate with millions of people 

Twilight is more a teenager attraction but 50 Shades really did well with women of all ages for a number of reasons

So no need for literature elitism...just because you have disdain for something it doesn't mean its subpar :)

I think you completely missed his point there though, is the old adage that popularity doesn't always equal quality.  You can push a lot of junk if you have good marketing, after all.

Actually he didn't miss the point, his point was that just because something is popular doesn't mean it is subpar. 

Corollarily speaking, just because something is unpopular doesn't make it quality either.

(Can't speak to either book, never read either).

That said, a lot of the bioware hate reminds me of the old alternative music crowd where once an obscure band signed a contract with a label to make an album they'd sold out and worthy of only derrision.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but often times the people who seem to pick apart the current Bioware game often criticise it for doing the same things that BG or BG2 did.

Well, then all he did was reiterate the point then.   I rather like the Bioware hate though, fosters nice arguments as some people are very sensitive about their game companies :lol: .  Most of the time the Bioware games are good fun, like summer blockbusers.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

yep, a lot of thr critique is that they havent changed at all and are just rehearsing the old cliches (and adding new bad ones)

And that's a fair complaint in its way.

But the problem is I see people complain that Bioware is recylcing their old games and then in the same breath that Bioware has moved away from the things that made their old games good.  And just about every level of nitpick imaginable.  And when that happens (IMO) the problem the critic has isn't really with the game anymore, they've got a grudge against the company that no game would fix.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

People have highlighted segments of 50 Shades of Grey and The Da Vinci Code, and they undoubtably contain some of the worst writing in history, but are two of the most popular books. Elitism isn't bad, I think these books prove we need a lot more of it. And the same goes for games, It can be popular, but that doesn't make it good.

• Like 2

People have highlighted segments of 50 Shades of Grey and The Da Vinci Code, and they undoubtably contain some of the worst writing in history, but are two of the most popular books. Elitism isn't bad, I think these books prove we need a lot more of it. And the same goes for games, It can be popular, but that doesn't make it good.

Ultimately time will weed out all but the best of media from popular culture (books in particular, but I think its true with everything).  50/DaVinci are far too new to have the weight of history to judge them.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

yep, a lot of thr critique is that they havent changed at all and are just rehearsing the old cliches (and adding new bad ones)

But the problem is I see people complain that Bioware is recylcing their old games and then in the same breath that Bioware has moved away from the things that made their old games good.  And just about every level of nitpick imaginable.  And when that happens (IMO) the problem the critic has isn't really with the game anymore, they've got a grudge against the company that no game would fix.

Plus " Bioware-Bashing " is vogue...it has become this way since many old school gamers feel betrayed by the perceived changes that Bioware has gone through around there game design 

Yes some criticism is valid but much of it is just fastidiousness 

But I'm lucky, I can easily say that BG2 (Viconia my love  :wub:) was the greatest RPG I have ever played yet I still enjoy the new Bioware games and I must add I respect them even more for the difficult and controversial decision they took to embrace certain SJ developments like same-sex relationship...  IMO this was much harder to do  than people realize 

So when I play there games I am entertained...not inspired...but I feel games should really only be about entertainment. If you expect anything more you will probably be disappointed 

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Plus " Bioware-Bashing " is vogue...it has become this way since many old school gamers feel betrayed by the perceived changes that Bioware has gone through around there game design 

But I'm lucky, I can easily say that BG2 (Viconia my love  :wub:) was the greatest RPG I have ever played yet I still enjoy the new Bioware games and I must add I respect them even more for the difficult and controversial decision they took to embrace certain SJ developments like same-sex relationship...  IMO this was much harder to do  than people realize 

So when I play there games I am entertained...not inspired...but I feel games should really only be about entertainment. If you expect anything more you will probably be disappointed 

Everyone have different tastes on what he consider entertaining. For example I am unable to enjoy shallow gameplay mechanics in favor to fancy graphics. Some people like simple games but shiny. Its a lot about personality, someone like chess other consider playing them pain rather then fun. Thats why there is problem with people converting their games to appeal audience which is opposite to their previous one and most of the times mutually exclusive

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Everyone have different tastes on what he consider entertaining. For example I am unable to enjoy shallow gameplay mechanics in favor to fancy graphics. Some people like simple games but shiny. Its a lot about personality, someone like chess other consider playing them pain rather then fun. Thats why there is problem with people converting their games to appeal audience which is opposite to their previous one and most of the times mutually exclusive

Sure, I get your point. But thats why I did say some people have legitimate reasons for not liking Bioware games...I still think they are denying themselves some great entertainment 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sure, I get your point. But thats why I did say some people have legitimate reasons for not liking Bioware games...I still think they are denying themselves some great entertainment 

Did you read what I posted before? They are probably dont denying entertainment but pain

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Would it be possible to please **** off with BioWare Fanboys vs BioWare Haterz Part 875,027,213,435, or at least can you take it to a BioWare game thread?  Can we get back to Random Video Game News in this thread?

So there's a new Rock Band game coming out.

I wonder if music games can make a comeback?

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Did you read what I posted before? They are probably dont denying entertainment but pain

Sure, I did read it ..we will have to agree to disagree :)

He doesn't care about your posts, he just cares about quote pyramids. Even if it's only him and you posting  , quote pyramids MUST be made !!

You funny :lol:  

John Milton 

Would it be possible to please **** off with BioWare Fanboys vs BioWare Haterz Part 875,027,213,435, or at least can you take it to a BioWare game thread?  Can we get back to Random Video Game News in this thread?

Keyrock I may be missing something but it seems to me you don't want us to discuss Bioware anymore..if thats the case then just say so. I prefer brutal honesty  :teehee:

John Milton 

Would it be possible to please **** off with BioWare Fanboys vs BioWare Haterz Part 875,027,213,435, or at least can you take it to a BioWare game thread? Can we get back to Random Video Game News in this thread?

So there's a new Rock Band game coming out.

I wonder if music games can make a comeback?

I spent way too much $$ on Rock Band peripherals and DLC than I had any right of doing back during the craze.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Keyrock I may be missing something but it seems to me you don't want us to discuss Bioware anymore..if thats the case then just say so. I prefer brutal honesty  :teehee:

I get that stuff in Random Video Game News will go off on tangents, that happens, but it's usually 3 or 4 posts, then we get back to game news.  This has gone on for multiple pages now.  Look, I've been a member of this forum for 2 1/2 years and in my time here this argument has happened at least a dozen times, likely a lot more.  I've even engaged in it once or twice in the past.  I could understand if someone new had initiated this and there was a fresh perspective, but this is literally the same exact argument involving the same exact people as has been had time and time and time again.  Frankly, it's ****ing annoying.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well until you become a moderator, maybe just deal with it ?

Some awful footage of Ashes of Singularity

Seemed a like a freemium tablet game. Also, vomiting NPCs isn't the best way to end your trailer.

Filming in portrait

1b2157e533492e78297c16e6cbe1dfceb91d191.

I take it this is a RTS of some sort?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I get that stuff in Random Video Game News will go off on tangents, that happens, but it's usually 3 or 4 posts, then we get back to game news.  This has gone on for multiple pages now.  Look, I've been a member of this forum for 2 1/2 years and in my time here this argument has happened at least a dozen times, likely a lot more.  I've even engaged in it once or twice in the past.  I could understand if someone new had initiated this and there was a fresh perspective, but this is literally the same exact argument involving the same exact people as has been had time and time and time again.  Frankly, it's ****ing annoying.

I hear you Keyrock, I know you aren't unreasonable

The only counter point I would make is surely people can still discuss other things while we discuss Bioware? Its not like we are forcing people to join our discussion?

And Bioware is about gaming news?

John Milton 

Filming in portrait

1b2157e533492e78297c16e6cbe1dfceb91d191.

I take it this is a RTS of some sort?

Yep, supposed to be an RTS about large scale battles, so I guess SupCom esque amounts of stuff blasting at each other.

The hypersensitivity of some and the propensity of others to take things out of context or argue just to argue really poops on my desire to even read these boards. In other words some of you are seriously immature, which really poops on the ability of others here to have an even semi-intelligent discussion.

I just mentioned Bioware, didn't say I liked them, didn't say I didn't like them, and some people take what I said out of context and others freak out simply because the word was mentioned.

Note: this phenomenon isn't unique to this thread. In fact it's quite common on these forums. But this is probably the most ridiculous and obvious example of it I've seen in awhile.

Edited by Valsuelm