Community Photo Sharing Thread

LadyCrimson

I envy you your lack of light pollution, at this time of year it's quite difficult to get a good view in England.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I envy you your lack of light pollution, at this time of year it's quite difficult to get a good view in England.

Thank you, though the ever increasing light pollution is even noticeable around here, 25 kilometers from the next city. 5 years ago I used to be able to see the milky way with my bare eyes no problem, now I can hardly spot it anymore and need to make pics with long shutter speeds to find it.  Makes me sad. 

• Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

This might sound stupid, but...when I was younger (about ten or so) and playing TES: Oblivion, I was always a bit miffed that you could often see the galaxy at night in game. For the longest time, I thought it was completely whack: never understood why in the world they would have such a patently unrealistic detail...just for the sake of having a pretty looking night sky? How silly! Took me many years to realize...yeah, it is actually possible to see the Milky Way in such a manner...I just haven't ever been anywhere even close to where it could happen, and there seems to be an ever-decreasing amount of places where it's possible.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Because of this very reason I'm planning to fly to Iceland to make photos of the night sky and -hopefully- from the Aurora Borealis this winter. I'm thinking about a specific place in the highlands which is several hundred kilometers away from Reykjavik, and several thousand kilometers from the next big city. This should allow me to make spectacular photos which I couldn't shoot anywhere around here. Oh, and I'm especially thinking about making a photo from the Aurora Borealis reflecting on the ocean waves and...oh my I have so many ideas.   :w00t:

• Like 2

If you do it, be sure to bring back those photos for us. :)

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

If you do it, be sure to bring back those photos for us. original.gif

Sure thing!

90kg / 200lbs shoulder presses standing with no leg drive. I make vids and pics of my lifts to watch them later to identify potential posture issues and bad form. Extremely helpful. 

schulterdruumlcken2_zpslohwtfh8.jpg

Edited by Woldan

• 2 weeks later...

Tried my first couple of night shots with my new lens, despite having a really bright moon on the horizon the results are good for a start. Things should get much better once the moon is gone. I still have to learn a lot about post processing though.

DSCF2566_mod1_Small_zpsgs5fp8vf.jpg

DSCF2588_small_zpsiekrqfdt.jpg

• Like 4

Tried my first couple of night shots with my new lens, despite having a really bright moon on the horizon the results are good for a start. Things should get much better once the moon is gone. I still have to learn a lot about post processing though.

DSCF2566_mod1_Small_zpsgs5fp8vf.jpg

DSCF2588_small_zpsiekrqfdt.jpg

I meant to say earlier that your night sky photos  are very impressive, the sense of grandeur and panoramic effect reminds me just how insignificant we are in the great scheme of things  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Still experimenting with ISO settings, 4200 seems to be the sweet spot when using dark frame noise reduction. 

DSCF2611_mod_small_zpsnxxyqqhg.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

What's that (literally :p) unearthly glow at the bottom?

So...not literally unearthly, I guess. :(

(e): Hm...unless you considered cities to not be "of the earth": i.e. to be against nature. ...But that would still be metaphorically unearthly at best. Bah. :(

Edited by Bartimaeus

• 2 months later...

A pan?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands