Community Photo Sharing Thread

LadyCrimson

Since I'm a huge fan of the 24 hour endurance race series I decided to build my own LMP1. Of LEGO of course.  ;)   Approx 1000 parts, aerodynamically sound with working front and rear diffusers, swan neck rear wing, working air flow tunnels, detailed interior etc.

It was a lot of fun to build! 

lmp1_zpsajaxahqv.jpg

lmp2_zpsxe979evg.jpg

lmp3_zpszjpsj81f.jpg

lmp1sidetopman_zpsvlofvp42.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 4

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Try to see the good in everything, the harder the winter the more you're going to enjoy summer. Nothing makes summer suck more than a warm, muddy winter. 

False.  There is no correlation between the harshness of winter and my enjoyment of summer.  It's a nice thought, but it's untrue.

Keyrock you do need to try to see the positive, you could be living in the Arctic circle...don't you think the snow would be worse there?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@Woldan, you did that by yourself or is that something you can buy and build?

Its my own design entirely -  the only Lego I buy is the parts which I need to build my own CAD models. 

Edited by Woldan

That's freaking awesome. How long did it take you to complete it?

Thank you. I think this took me 4 days (4x 3 hours)

Like always, it only takes me about 1-2 hours to convert the idea in my head into a basic model. What takes much longer is making countless small modifications and improvements to the design until its completely different and much better than what I started with.

The most frustrating part is checking if the parts used are available from various sources, sometimes this requires lots of improvising which means finding work-around solutions for non-available parts - this requires some thinking.

Edited by Woldan

That's freaking awesome. How long did it take you to complete it?

Thank you. I think this took me 4 days (4x 3 hours)

Like always, it only takes me about 1-2 hours to convert the idea in my head into a basic model. What takes much longer is making countless small modifications and improvements to the design until its completely different and much better than what I started with.

The most frustrating part is checking if the parts used are available from various sources, sometimes this requires lots of improvising which means finding work-around solutions for non-available parts - this requires some thinking.

I understand that. That's how I used to do it when I was younger I no longer have time for this or good old jigsaw puzzles, but I just wanted to say that the car turned out great. I mostly built planes and helicopters. Occasionally boats or submarines. I never saved any of them, though.

• Like 1

I do it mainly to relax, I have built dozens of good CAD Lego models -including a ridiculously big strip shovel mining excavator which I guess is as tall as me- but I do not have the cash to order the parts to build them. In some cases I'd need to spend more than a grand on a single model. 

This is why my models share the fate of yours, they perish - in my case because I strip them for parts for newer models.  I guess cannibalism among Lego models is a fairly common occurrence.  ;)

Fortunately I stopped doing that so I can finally build at least a small collection.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

That's really nifty, Woldan.

...all I ever did was build marble-mazes and houses with Lego's when I was a kid. Never had any of the special shaped or specific thing sets (like "build a castle" or "police station theme"), just this big flat box of basic rectangle bricks and the flat bases to put them on, when the bases were thick/tall instead of thin. There might have been a few trees and figures with it. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The fuel filler cap and the headlights are my favorite. Can't wait for June. 

Me neither. I hope Nissan does a good job and that they'll be reliable, I love their new innovative LMP. 

A simple stove can be a source for interesting photos. Even though its extremely hard to make good crisp shots with all the mirage from the intense heat. I also almost cooked my camera because it was so hot, I didn't notice until it was almost too late - I have an unnatural resistance to heat.   :devil:

DSCF1293_2_small_zpsovyiyqr5.jpg

DSCF1284_2_small_zpsm8k31zpg.jpg

DSCF1311_2_Small2_zpsqzfhprab.jpg

• Like 1

If a small file size is your goal avoid formats with little compression, scale down the image to a reasonable size, decrease the resolution. A combination of these three things, if used reasonably, will result in a small file that is still beautiful. There are many more ways to decrease the file size, but those I just mentioned usually work well enough.

Edited by Woldan

I know this pic isn't as awesome as the others in the thread, but I think it's cool how I managed to get the bird in the right corner.  This was on one of my hikes in Crafton Hills Trails.  I'm using my phone and I hate to slow down long enough to frame a good photo, but I get lucky sometimes.

EDIT:  Oops, the photo was too big.  I'll go take a look and try to fix it.

EDIT2:  Okay, I compressed it to fit under 1MB.

post-787-0-83637900-1425862854_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cantousent
  • Like 3

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

• 2 weeks later...

Some pics of my trusty Schmidt-Rubin G11. 102 year old war horse, operates smooth as butter, outshoots most modern rifles with my handloads. When it was introduced back in 1911 it was, for a short period of time, the most advanced service rifle in the world. I also think its the longest modern age service rifle ever made, the barrel is 31'' long, and the action is very long too.  

I did my best to refurbish the stock (Sanded, steamed and oiled it) since it was really beaten up, I think it was an exercise rifle.

DSCF1370kl_zpsebjck7nf.jpg

DSCF1372kl_zpsblae7jnx.jpg

The action is a straight-pull, its one of the fasted actions there is, only a semi-auto and pump action rifle beats it. 

DSCF1376kl_zpsu9qtcc4p.jpg

Shoots a pretty big bullet that has enough steam and intrinsic accuracy  to hit stuff beyond 1000 meters reliably. Holds 6 in the mag plus 1 in the chamber. 

DSCF1380kl_zpsrip2ug7b.jpg

Edited by Woldan

Damn, Woldan, that thing is a monster!  I'd hate to have to wrassle with it.  Pretty, though.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

You'd be surprised how heavy modern general issue rifles are with all the accessories hanging on them, this rifle is probably in the same weight class! Its much longer though, with the bayonet you basically have a shooting pike. 

• 4 weeks later...

Found this little guy in my stone garden, a male sand lizard, he watched me relocate the stones and planting new plants, with a very skeptical look on his face.  

He watched me a couple of minutes, then he retreated back into the stone maze only to pop up somewhere else to watch me from a new angle.

I even managed to catch him though released him quickly because I didn't want him to lose his tail.  

DSCF1566s_zpsuyxwioyr.jpg

DSCF1570s_zpsae3x367s.jpg

DSCF1580s_zps6p4kgehk.jpg

Then he fell asleep while hanging on a warm rock. 

DSCF1588s_zps5cc8gif0.jpg

I love my stone garden, it features two aggressive ant hills that wage horribly brutal wars every now and then, lizards, mice, mole crickets, all sorts of cool bugs, cicadas and centipedes. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

Found this little guy in my stone garden, a male sand lizard, he watched me relocate the stones and planting new plants, with a very skeptical look on his face.  

He watched me a couple of minutes, then he retreated back into the stone maze only to pop up somewhere else to watch me from a new angle.

I even managed to catch him though released him quickly because I didn't want him to lose his tail.  

DSCF1566s_zpsuyxwioyr.jpg

DSCF1570s_zpsae3x367s.jpg

DSCF1580s_zps6p4kgehk.jpg

Then he fell asleep while hanging on a warm rock. 

DSCF1588s_zps5cc8gif0.jpg

I love my stone garden, it features two aggressive ant hills that wage horribly brutal wars every now and then, lizards, mice, mole crickets, all sorts of cool bugs, cicadas and centipedes. 

You don't need Fallout 4, you live it everyday.

Pretty lizard. Most of the ones you (easily) see around here are all boring brown. Not that I don't think they're still sorta cute, regardless. Especially when they're doing "pushups" in the sun.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 1 month later...

Tested the night capabilities of my camera. Shutter speed 30 seconds!  I just wish I could afford a night-lens, I could make awesome photos, but I don't have 500 bucks right now. :unsure:

DSCF1695small_zps7uq6kiy6.jpg

DSCF1704small_zpsfofpsquj.jpg

DSCF1696small_zpsjj924mpx.jpg

DSCF1676small_zpsklo498oe.jpg

DSCF1683small_zpsjpqqm7qv.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

To make these photos I walk around in moonless nights in near perfect dark carrying a camera and tripod. And that way past midnight.  My neighbors probably think I'm a drunk or a complete lunatic. 

DSCF2195edsmall_zpsvzjbq9vx.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 3

or a complete lunatic

Would they be wrong? :banana:

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.