392 Discussion

Sensuki

I haven't played, but I did load the game and moved around, loaded map areas etc. I don't have any fps issues in non-combat, solid 60fps, although I do notice a tiny bit of "stutter/delay" when I mouse scroll to zoom in/out, which I'm pretty sure didn't happen last time I loaded to peek at things. No biggie.

and... yup, the voice alerts are loud and a bit annoying.

Any screenshots for us curious non-beta people? :p

I would but I don't know what people want to see nor what might be really different from a while back.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I haven't done combat yet but have had no problem with FPS or stuttering and I have explored the map as much as possible without going into combat.  Gone in and out of buildings.  Moved selected characters around a lot as I was trying to see if I could replicate the FPS problem.  Haven't been able to.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

solid 60fps

I have a 120Hz monitor and I play with VSync off. In the earlier beta builds I would get ~90-100 FPS in the Dyrford Village just walking around, now I get around 60.

In combat I would get 60-80 FPS, now I get 20-50, which puts me off wanting to enter combat, because I *hate* poor frame rates.

Pls implement this NPC circle color for colorblind mode off ;)

Dbhj3cY.jpg

Yea I'm playing Divinity Original Sin ATM and it has the PC as blue and the NPCs as the green that we like so I'm like WTFUUUUUU?

Bassackwards man.

Also does it sound like the voicesets are still place-holder or are they now moving toward the final version?

I say this because if they all sound the same(as you said the female did) I would be dissapoint.

Edited by GreyFox
  • Like 1

Any screenshots for us curious non-beta people? :p

I would but I don't know what people want to see nor what might be really different from a while back.

Oh, I can help you :p

Based on things people mentioned as new in this build, I'd like to see new character sheet, new inventory and talent UI and whatever you think is different from the last build.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Sedrefilos

I have a 120Hz monitor and I play with VSync off. In the earlier beta builds I would get ~90-100 FPS in the Dyrford Village just walking around, now I get around 60.

In combat I would get 60-80 FPS, now I get 20-50, which puts me off wanting to enter combat, because I *hate* poor frame rates.

Oh you're one of those. wink.png Yeah, I tend to run with fps capped at 60 (vynsc off tho), because I don't care about it being higher (as long as it's 30-40ish I find games perfectly playable) and don't like it when some games or game menus are over 100, tends to heats up my gtx590/room too much in the summer. Anyway, if I turn off the cap, PoE-392 = 80-100ish while exploring in non-combat, for me.

I'd like to see new character sheet, new inventory and talent UI and whatever you think is different from the last build.

Well, since I haven't really played the beta yet/am not actually familiar with it (I just glance around at ui's and wander to see scenery/town), I can screen what I think are those things. I don't seem to see a talent UI, maybe I have to level up first.

Edit: Forgot the forum shrinks attachments these days. Here's direct links if you want them bigger:

http://crimsonkeep.com/wallpapers/data/media/131/PillarsOfEternity_2014-12-24_01-58-18-84.jpg

http://crimsonkeep.com/wallpapers/data/media/131/PillarsOfEternity_2014-12-24_01-59-24-05.jpg

post-11552-0-24486000-1419417046_thumb.jpg

post-11552-0-34472300-1419417055_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I must say the UI and icons look pretty good :)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

So still no amulet body slot? :(

Are backer NPCs still with wall of text and nothing else?

There is a neck slot.  I do not have an amulet to place there when I get one I will check it out. 

nakia_banner.jpg

But neck slot is for cloaks?

yes but I don't know if it can be used for amulets.  Maybe someone else knows.  Neck to me indicates any thing that can go around the neck specifically but I could be wrong. :)

Edited by Nakia

nakia_banner.jpg

But neck slot is for cloaks?

yes but I don't know if it can be used for amulets.  Maybe someone else knows.  Neck to me indicates any thing that can go around the neck specifically but I could be wrong. :)

Neck slot allow both amulet and cloak to be placed in it.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

So still no amulet body slot? :(

Are backer NPCs still with wall of text and nothing else?

The "eye icon" for backer NPCs is gone so it seems they're gonna change that part.

But basically, I think the way they'll tie it together is that the main character will have some special ability to read "soul memories" and that will tie into the backer NPCs. Not sure if I'm just imagining that or if they've stated that this is a fact so take it with a grain of salt. 

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Pls implement this NPC circle color for colorblind mode off ;)

Dbhj3cY.jpg

Yea I'm playing Divinity Original Sin ATM and it has the PC as blue and the NPCs as the green that we like so I'm like WTFUUUUUU?

Bassackwards man.

Also does it sound like the voicesets are still place-holder or are they now moving toward the final version?

I say this because if they all sound the same(as you said the female did) I would be dissapoint.

♫♫Im the backwards man the backwards man, i can walk backwards as fast as you can, i can walk back wards as fast as you can♫♫ :wowey:

• Like 2

Not happy with the change to party member tooltips. When you mouse over the characters it no longer shows them above the characters, but above the portraits.

In v257, it used to always show above the characters only, even when you moused over the portraits.

in v278, it was changed (by request) to be split so that when you moused over the portrait it showed the character name, health and stamina there and when you moused over the selection circle it showed it above the character.

Now in v392, for party members it only shows above the portrait. Why is this change necessary? It makes no sense from a UX perspective because when you mouse over a character's selection circle you have to move your view to the bottom left to read the tooltip. I understand that a tooltip may obscure some of the screen in combat, but it disappears when you move your mouse away from the selection circle, and by default only shows if you leave the cursor over the selection circle for 1 second - and it's now transparent.

Every patch there is a string of unnecessary UI changes that make interacting with the game worse. I request this to be reverted back.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

Sensuki makes sense to me.  I also realize that different people like different things and someone may have requested this.  The devs cannot please everyone 100% of the time.  I expect there to be some things in the came that I will not particularly like and may even dislike  

nakia_banner.jpg

The reason they did it was likely to free the screen up in combat, but it's rare that you mouse over one of your own characters selection circles rather than the portrait in combat to read their health numbers, and in the specific instances that you do, it's usually out of combat. I don't think the change does anything to make the screen less cluttered. What they should have done was remove the show all tooltips from the TAB key - THEN the screen would look less cluttered.

I can understand why it was done, I just feel that from both a UX perspective it's less sensible and it also strays from how the IE games handled it, which is IMO important to maintain where it made sense - and here it does.

• Like 2

here's a video of some chap showing off 392. For us non backers it's looking pretty decent, still some polish to go, but it's getting there.

I wonder why he gained experience for killing the Lion, but not for killing the Skaen Temple Guard. I really hope they're not trying to put experience-for-murderhoboing back in, especially this late in production.

Maybe the Lion was part of a quest...?

t50aJUd.jpg