392 Discussion

Sensuki

A lot of the gamepedia stuff is out of date. E.g they have Barbarian deflection still listed as 5, I guess it will be right if it hasn't been changed though. Didn't they used to show those values? I'm sure I remember that.

UI seems good. I like they have added tooltips for key words in the info windows, like for status effects and so on, this is pretty helpful. I was hoping the terrified effect was bugged in previous versions and was intended to actually make enemies run from you. Perhaps they are having problems implementing that, I see from the tooltip that it's just a stronger version of frightened. And frightened itself got nerfed I think? The number of statistical debuffs with no mechanical effects seemed a bit redundant already in this game.

Not sure I like having to expand AoE spell info in the combat log. 

Enemy tooltips are appearing in the top left corner of the screen now? This seems a weird place for them. 

Having problems with my animal companion disappearing on save/load. Not sure how to reproduce. Seems to go away when I restart the game.

Modals seem to deactivate all the time now as well. I don't remember that being a problem before. It's pretty annoying.

Double click bug is gone. Woo hoo!

Can't play with custom parties anymore.  :facepalm: Being stuck with the BB derp squad is going to get repetitive as hell.

In general I'm not enjoying this build as much playing on hard. It's not that it's difficult exactly, it's usually possible to blunder through encounters without reloading. However I'm finding the pace to be completely breakneck and everything is just a bit random. I sometimes try the same encounter multiple times with the same strategy and find it to go very differently depending on how the "initiation" plays out and I'm often not sure what happened to make the difference. My priest spends a lot of time chain casting heals like I'm playing an MMO. Damage in general seems very high, and armour and defensive strats seem weak. I've been trying some all naked games and it seems quite viable. Encounters in this build just feel a bit like I'm trying to gank someone in Dota, except it's a really daft version of Dota where spells can crit for some reason. 

I'm particularly worried about how party vs party gameplay in PoE. The rate at which you can pump out spells feels a lot faster in this build (and much much faster than in the IE games), and while some VFX issues have been addressed the screen can still be a hot mess at times. 

Has anyone been able to do any crafting, enchant any weapons?  So far all I could do some a very little food and I did manage a couple of minor potions.  That is it.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Has anyone tried PoD yet?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Has anyone been able to do any crafting, enchant any weapons?  So far all I could do some a very little food and I did manage a couple of minor potions.  That is it.

If you want to really craft, the easiest way is to use the console to add the materials and gold into your inventory. That's what I did when I tested it in a previous build.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Attack Resolution mechanics play a big party in the randomness/swinginess of encounters on Hard. You get some good rolls = gg, you get **** ones = tough life

you mean like in BG where failing a web or hold person spell usually meant a reload due to a party member dying. Also enemies failing those saves made the battle end soon after as well.

PoE just seemes to use damage as one effect to rule them all.

you mean like in BG where failing a web or hold person spell usually meant a reload due to a party member dying. Also enemies failing those saves made the battle end soon after as well.

I've never reloaded because of failing a spell in BG. Spells aren't that big of a deal in BG1. You don't even really need a Mage. Someday I'll make a Let's Play Baldur's Gate to show how I play it.

Edited by Sensuki

That's more or less what I did. I had my archers (fighter-mage PC, Coran, Kivan, Imoen) shooting at the enemy casters and my clerics (Yeslick and Branwen) casting Confusion at them. If Yeslick or Branwen got the spell out first, it was an easy win. If one of the enemy casters made their rolls and got one of theirs out first, it was an immediate loss. 

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Well if you cleared most of the Sword Coast, your archers will have really low THAC0 (Bracers of Archery, etc) so it won't be hard to interrupt the spells on the first hit.

Even Dynaheir throwing a Magic Missile will do the trick.

I've never reloaded because of failing a spell in BG. Spells aren't that big of a deal in BG1. You don't even really need a Mage. Someday I'll make a Let's Play Baldur's Gate to show how I play it.
Don't say never as we both know that is not true. When you were a new player you lost to enemy spells all the time like everyone else.

And lots of new players I watch on Twitch lose to spells all the time.

In the original Baldur's Gate, I have never reloaded the game because I cast a spell and it didn't work. There are no encounters in the game where it is that big of a deal.

There's plenty of times where I've mucked up and been killed by Tarnesh or Nimbul because I failed to interrupt their Mirror Image, and then proceeded to have my PC killed by an onset of Magic Missles, but not actually cast something to no effect (Magic Resistance / Save vs Spell) and reloaded. It's not that drastic in BG1.

That I can agree with, but it's still heavily RNG-driven coin-flip combat resolution. You can do your tactics exactly right and still lose in the opening just because you got an unlucky roll and the enemy caster got a lucky one. I'm already liking P:E's more "scalar" magic much better.

I also freely admit to cheesing some BG2 fights with RNG abuse. That is, until I figured out ways to beat them more fairly...

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Uhhh, PE is worse regarding the randomness of outcomes, especially when using a daily spell and getting a graze or a miss.

I have to say after playing with this system, I much prefer the standard way things are done - automatic magic and rules with exceptions.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Ya, the IE games were very RNG heavy. Save or Die spells, massive crits (on enemies, players got magical helmets of no-crit which enemies were too stupid to put on), etc all led to encounters that could turn into a **** show depending on the roll of a die. I know some folks like that sort of thing (its the same thrill you get from slot machines I think) but I don't like the feeling of winning or being defeated largely by the RNG. PoE does this right. Ya, there are grazes but those feel better than all or nothing 2E THAC0 (either praying to land land a single single hit while whiffing constantly or praying I dont get hit even once).

• Like 1

The gods of RNG were in a New Year's kind of mood today, and I got my party fully equipped with firearms quite early on. Also, I did Blood Legacy first, which got me three guns to start with.

It was fun. I really like the way firearms work here. They're spectacular but not overpowered because the reload time is so slow. From there on out, I started most engagements with a volley against one or sometimes two of the most threatening enemies, taking them out of the game early. Then switched to melee and fought it as usual.

This changes the feel of the battles quite a lot. It's not exactly better than the more usual melee-in-the-front, ranged-in-the-back setup, but it's different, and I liked the rhyhtm. BOOM! Switch.Fight. Switch back, watch everybody meticulously reload, then move along. It felt, in a very light and altogether un-obnoxious way that I was actually taking care of those precious firearms.

The only fly in the ointment was that the arquebus reload animation stopped my casters from casting until they finished, so I had to switch them to melee weapons too, after the first volley.

I long ago floated an idea that it would be nice to have a key command to switch the entire party between weapon sets just for this purpose. I still think so.

Warts and all, this is a fun game!

• Like 4

No, it's not.

In BG or BG2 it's quite easy to lose a battle even if you do everything right. In P:E I've never lost a battle without knowing how I screwed up. It never hangs on one spell.

Lol? No. In Icewind Dale 2 you can lose because of saves or whatever but in the 2E games, this doesn't happen.

Most of the time in BG1 or BG2, you die because you failed to do something (such as counterspell), not because of RNG.

> inb4 qq about wizard battles

Edited by Sensuki